News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

My "plan" to fix the O-Line once and for all

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, November 14, 2023, 12:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fromthebside

I'm going to echo a previous poster's sentiment.  Get a good OL coach.  That's where it starts.  This team can keep pumping in resources to their line, but if they can't coach 'em up and develop them, it's a waste.  I do believe Neal can be salvaged in to a respectable player, but it has to start with the coach.  And secondarily, the front office has to do a better job of talent evaluation in the later rounds.  You can find quality OL in the 4th rd and later.  That's where your money is made.  For people to say they need to go OL, again, in the 1st round or 2nd rd, that's grocery shopping while hungry.  Go around the league and see where most of these guys were drafted.  They weren't top 10.  There was a chart online (sorry, don't remember) that showed the teams that got the most bang for their buck regarding OL play and their draft status.  I don't have to tell you where the Giants placed.  And unfortunately, this has been an issue for a good decade now and it's time to stop. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: fromthebside on November 16, 2023, 09:46:31 AMI'm going to echo a previous poster's sentiment.  Get a good OL coach.  That's where it starts.  This team can keep pumping in resources to their line, but if they can't coach 'em up and develop them, it's a waste.  I do believe Neal can be salvaged in to a respectable player, but it has to start with the coach.  And secondarily, the front office has to do a better job of talent evaluation in the later rounds.  You can find quality OL in the 4th rd and later.  That's where your money is made.  For people to say they need to go OL, again, in the 1st round or 2nd rd, that's grocery shopping while hungry.  Go around the league and see where most of these guys were drafted.  They weren't top 10.  There was a chart online (sorry, don't remember) that showed the teams that got the most bang for their buck regarding OL play and their draft status.  I don't have to tell you where the Giants placed.  And unfortunately, this has been an issue for a good decade now and it's time to stop. 

Good post. Agree with all. We have used plenty of first and second round capital on O line. Where we have been awful is in the rounds 3-5 range, which is where you make your money drafting for IOL. Our guards have been wretched for years now. But just because that's the case does not mean we should be using a first or second round pick on O line yet again.

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 14, 2023, 04:41:27 PM100% Rich.

We're supposed to have top quality talent evaluators and in fact they've hit on many players in different positions over the past 2 drafts.

So how is Neal such a GIGANTIC miss?!

My answer is the OL Coach as I'm sure 1) position coaches evaluation of draft talent is strongly considered and 2) if they're drafted that high there needs to be a business plan showing an ROI for the team...who is heavily involved in building the plan? The position coach.

We need a much better OL Coach. If we did, we may be able to function with the talent on the roster....especially if we find a QB with pocket awareness and playmaking ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Due to the nature of the position (very complex motions to evaluate), no assistant coach is more involved in scouting the draft talent than the offensive line coaches.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I remember when Alex Gibb was the OL coach of the Denver Broncos.  They were such a versatile OL in blocking styles that the team had this long run of successful RB almost all of whom were drafted in the 3rd round or later.

That is what a great OL coach can do.

Fire Bobby Johnson immediately.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 14, 2023, 01:04:11 PMQuite a few examples of highly rated OTs failing in the NFL, but carve out a decent career as an OG (Robert Gallery comes to mind)

justin pugh also comes to mind.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 01:14:46 PMIf the Giants want to fix their O-line once and for all, they will find a really good (not just adequate) offensive line coach.  Teams with great O-line coaches not only have good lines, but they are also the teams that tend to draft and develop O-line talent well.  They will usually have a few quality O-linemen that were day two or day three picks.

Agreed. didnt seattle have all backups playing against us, yet still looked functional? thats just good coaching. something we do not have.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: GloryDays on November 14, 2023, 03:52:22 PMGet Baldy, if he is willing.. he probably makes a good O coach too.

He seems to have a soft spot for the giants too. good analyst, who knows how good he would be as a coach though.

GloryDays

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 16, 2023, 04:14:04 PMHe seems to have a soft spot for the giants too. good analyst, who knows how good he would be as a coach though.

Baldy seems to be really good at reinserting pride for the Giants Blue, in addition to be creative and being demanding for each player's accountability.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 01:14:46 PMIf the Giants want to fix their O-line once and for all, they will find a really good (not just adequate) offensive line coach.  Teams with great O-line coaches not only have good lines, but they are also the teams that tend to draft and develop O-line talent well.  They will usually have a few quality O-linemen that were day two or day three picks.

Pretty much what I've been saying.  It is scandalous how they put so much in the way of resources, in both fa and draft choices, and have so little to show for it.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 16, 2023, 11:26:31 PMPretty much what I've been saying.  It is scandalous how they put so much in the way of resources, in both fa and draft choices, and have so little to show for it.

Worse, that wasted draft capital could have been used to add talent to other parts of the team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 16, 2023, 11:26:31 PMPretty much what I've been saying.  It is scandalous how they put so much in the way of resources, in both fa and draft choices, and have so little to show for it.
They had a better chance of landing one after last season. This organization is a Coach killer. Who would want to come here with a noose around Daboll's neck for what might be a one year gig?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 16, 2023, 04:11:49 PMjustin pugh also comes to mind.

I don' think comparing Gallery to Pugh are the same. Gallery was drafted in the top 5 and was expected to be a pancake blocking RT who completely failed. Similar to Tony Mandarich who also made a comeback at guard. Pugh was a jackknife lineman who was able to lineup wherever there was a need. The year he switched to Guard was also the year Flowers was drafted. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs