News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

So when Eli says stick with DJ

Started by Philosophers, November 16, 2023, 02:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So when Eli says stick with DJ

Dgoodmantrublu

uconnjack8

I still think Jones starts week 1 next year regardless if they use a pick on a QB. Eli may have some info on that.

Is he doing some PR?

Dgoodmantrublu

Jones likely won't be ready for week 1. It is already November and he hasn't had his surgery yet.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 16, 2023, 11:34:36 PMJones likely won't be ready for week 1. It is already November and he hasn't had his surgery yet.

It's generally a 9 month recovery these days.  If he has surgery before December, there is time

uconnjack8

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 16, 2023, 11:34:36 PMJones likely won't be ready for week 1. It is already November and he hasn't had his surgery yet.

It's generally a 9 month recovery these days.  If he has surgery before December, there is time

katkavage

Based on what I've seen from both QBs this season, I would much rather have Tyrod Taylor be the opening day QB than Jones.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 16, 2023, 10:02:30 PMQbs don't magically become something they are not in year 7.

I fully agree in principle, although this is not entirely without precedent. Geno Smith showed it's not impossible. He was always a low-end starter to middling backup at best, and then in year nine of his career he suddenly became a high end starter as a 32 year old. I think cases like that are virtually unheard of, but the fact that it happened at all, even he is the only example this dramatic, shows it's not impossible.

I'm not saying this will happen with Jones. I firmly think it won't. If nothing else I think he has had way too many serious injuries for someone who is only in year five in the NFL.

But we can't say it's a zero percent chance because clearly it is not.

SlotCorner

The answer is missing from your list:

Eli Works for the Giants and this Is the Team's Messaging.

No employee of the Giants is going to come out and say replace Jones until its done. For one thing, that points to tanking and a team would never admit or acknowledge that. Those STM renewal notes will be going out early next year.

And the Giants will be picking a QB next year. Jones has had two season ending injuries and two injuries to his neck. What's the mantra again? Smart, Tough, DEPENDABLE.

TDToomer

Eli works for the Giants? In what capacity? The only employer that I know he currently has is ESPN.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

SlotCorner

Quote from: TDToomer on November 17, 2023, 09:52:26 AMEli works for the Giants? In what capacity? The only employer that I know he currently has is ESPN.

He creates content for them, including the Eli Manning show: https://www.giants.com/video/elimanningshow

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 17, 2023, 09:52:26 AMEli works for the Giants? In what capacity? The only employer that I know he currently has is ESPN.

If creating goofy videos with Kate Mara and Shaun O'Hara counts as working, then he "works" for them, but he I would not call it a serious "job" per se. I have no idea if he gets an actual paycheck but I sort of doubt it (albeit I have no idea). I think he comes and goes as he pleases and largely has minimal actual responsibility. I certainly don't think he sits in on serious meetings or anything like that.

SlotCorner

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 17, 2023, 11:35:35 AMIf creating goofy videos with Kate Mara and Shaun O'Hara counts as working, then he "works" for them, but he I would not call it a serious "job" per se. I have no idea if he gets an actual paycheck but I sort of doubt it (albeit I have no idea). I think he comes and goes as he pleases and largely has minimal actual responsibility. I certainly don't think he sits in on serious meetings or anything like that.

I don't think he's picking players either. But he is employed by them, and he's definitely not going to say anything that Daboll / Schoen wouldn't say.

And right now, no one knows which way the admin is leaning so the company line is, Daniel Jones is the QB.

andrew_nyGiants

Regarding Eli's statement on DJ: It's called empathy my Giants friends.

I'm not saying Eli doesn't believe what he's saying about DJ, and if anyone in here wants to claim more knowledge of the position than Eli, to that I say enjoy your fantasy.

OTOH, Eli spent his final 6 seasons as a Giant, taking some of the worst beatings I've ever seen a player endure, in large part due to a poor OL, and to a lesser degree, some receivers who were inconsistent at best.

I believe he's reliving this experience watching DJ and while he may well be correct on his evaluation of DJ, it could also be his evaluation of the circumstance which may be coloring his opinion of DJ.

If I'm Schoen and Daboll, I strongly consider Eli's point of view, while hedging my bet by acquiring a starting QB for next year and beyond.

Imagine we draft that QB and he's got everything you need to win a SB , AND DJ steps up and shows he's beyond 2022 form for the 1st 6 weeks of the 2024 season. We could parlay that into more assets to build the roster and still have "that guy" at QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

TDToomer

Does anyone know if Simms was asked about whether Dave Brown should be the Giants QB circa 1996? It would almost similar. They were teammates briefly and like Jones/Eli one was drafted for the sole purpose of replacing the other.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 17, 2023, 09:06:54 AMI fully agree in principle, although this is not entirely without precedent. Geno Smith showed it's not impossible. He was always a low-end starter to middling backup at best, and then in year nine of his career he suddenly became a high end starter as a 32 year old. I think cases like that are virtually unheard of, but the fact that it happened at all, even he is the only example this dramatic, shows it's not impossible.

I'm not saying this will happen with Jones. I firmly think it won't. If nothing else I think he has had way too many serious injuries for someone who is only in year five in the NFL.

But we can't say it's a zero percent chance because clearly it is not.
The difference with Geno that a lot ignore, not saying you but the broader public is that Geno only started 30 games for the Jets, basically two seasons. He didn't get a year 3 when most qbs supposedly take that leap. That cannot be said for Jones however who has had what feels like an eternity to something, anything, and hasn't.