News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The stakes for tonight's game

Started by MightyGiants, December 11, 2023, 03:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 03:10:32 PMhttps://x.com/DanSchneierNFL/status/1734304542060110328?s=20

I am certain you are more knowledgable than I am . Why did the Giants jump over the Cammanders and Titans for the 4th pick ?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on December 11, 2023, 03:33:01 PMI am certain you are more knowledgable than I am . Why did the Giants jump over the Commanders and Titans for the 4th pick ?

In a three-way tie, it's the strength of tschedule, and the Giants have the worst.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 03:35:07 PMIn a three-way tie, it's the strength of tschedule, and the Giants have the worst.
Rich: The extra playoff spots are a joke.  All those teams should be disbanded or sent to the arena league. lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 11, 2023, 03:38:10 PMRich: The extra playoff spots are a joke.  All those teams should be disbanded or sent to the arena league. lol
But it's the last gasp of football for many fans. lol
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

At pick 4 you are guaranteed a franchise altering player whether good or bad.

Maye, Williams, Harrison, Daniels, but beyond pick 4 there is a steep decline.

SlotCorner

I think they lose tonight, if only because the only teams we beat are some of the worst teams in the league. But here they are, still in the hunt. I think tonight is the last nail in the coffin though.

And remember, picking fourth, or fifth, or whatever only means moving up to get they guy they want is possible. The Bills traded players and picks to move up to 7 to get Josh Allen, that seems like the right move. We've got the extra 2nd from Seattle that looks like its going to be a decent pick. All they have to do is find our franchise QB and go get him.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 11, 2023, 04:13:16 PMAt pick 4 you are guaranteed a franchise altering player whether good or bad.

Maye, Williams, Harrison, Daniels, but beyond pick 4 there is a steep decline.
A lot of fans are going to be surprised how this draft plays out. Don't be surprised if the Giants pick Olu or Alt.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 11, 2023, 04:54:56 PMA lot of fans are going to be surprised how this draft plays out. Don't be surprised if the Giants pick Olu or Alt.
Never surprised. But if they can't land a top QB in the draft or free agency, we have to continue to suffer with mediocrity or worse. It just prolongs the pain. The Giants do not have a QB on their roster that can take them to the upper echelon of the NFL.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 03:10:32 PMhttps://x.com/DanSchneierNFL/status/1734304542060110328?s=20

It really is a weird situation isn't it.

Speaking for myself as a fan, as I have said before, I cannot, have not, and will not ever root against the Giants during a game. Period.

However, I am also a realist, and I have seen enough of this 2023 team to feel pretty confident we're not running the table with two remaining games against Philly, both of which they're going to have incentive to win. Not to mention I don't particularly like us tonight.

With that said, there is more to these remaining four games than their final record and their draft position. There are a lot of young players on this team who don't play QB but are vital to the team's future. If we lose out, that will likely mean that at least some of these guys weren't that great in these games. That's not a good thing.

Still, getting it right at the QB position for medium to longer term is just so vitally important, and we know this is rated as a robust QB class. Next year's looks shaky (albeit it may look different a year from now). So while I'll be rooting for the team tonight, if we end up coming up short, there might be a silver lining there even though I won't be happy about it in the short term.

We'll see what happens.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 11, 2023, 05:47:44 PMIt really is a weird situation isn't it.

Speaking for myself as a fan, as I have said before, I cannot, have not, and will not ever root against the Giants during a game. Period.

However, I am also a realist, and I have seen enough of this 2023 team to feel pretty confident we're not running the table with two remaining games against Philly, both of which they're going to have incentive to win. Not to mention I don't particularly like us tonight.

With that said, there is more to these remaining four games than their final record and their draft position. There are a lot of young players on this team who don't play QB but are vital to the team's future. If we lose out, that will likely mean that at least some of these guys weren't that great in these games. That's not a good thing.

Still, getting it right at the QB position for medium to longer term is just so vitally important, and we know this is rated as a robust QB class. Next year's looks shaky (albeit it may look different a year from now). So while I'll be rooting for the team tonight, if we end up coming up short, there might be a silver lining there even though I won't be happy about it in the short term.

We'll see what happens.

Whether it's the Giants or Rangers, you and I are aligned philosophically. I still would like to see them win, regardless whether or not there is snow or fondue!

But I'll settle for a fun, competitive game where the kids produce and give us hope for the future.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

files58

The Giants need to be picking in the top 4. It's very important for the Giants to stay ahead of the Bears' own first round pick. I believe the Bears will take a QB with the first pick(Carolina's). We need to hold at least 4th to hold some strategic advantage regarding any trades, or using the pick.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: files58 on December 11, 2023, 05:57:43 PMThe Giants need to be picking in the top 4. It's very important for the Giants to stay ahead of the Bears' own first round pick. I believe the Bears will take a QB with the first pick(Carolina's). We need to hold at least 4th to hold some strategic advantage regarding any trades, or using the pick.

I agree to a large degree, but the coaching staff doesn't. They are absolutely going to be playing to win these games. That doesn't mean they will, but everyone inside that building is trying their hardest. I'm quite certain of that.

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 11, 2023, 04:54:56 PMA lot of fans are going to be surprised how this draft plays out. Don't be surprised if the Giants pick Olu or Alt.
You know people, Ed???  :suspious:

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin