News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tommy makes it right

Started by Ed Vette, December 20, 2023, 09:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 20, 2023, 11:20:17 AMThey definitely overplayed it.

It was a good, fun 3-4 week distraction from the cold, harsh realities about this team.

Last Sunday afternoon though we all woke up with a bad hangover and saw her in the morning light, and it wasn't great.

Philosophers

DeVito likely has PR Barnum's 15 minutes of fame.  Suggest he understand and not overplay his value.

spiderblue43

His agent is a stunad. Gavone. Tommy's a goodfella. Make it right with the pizzeria..salute.

katkavage

If Devito did stress that his agent and others ease up on the Italian-American stuff, he is right to do so. As one with Italian blood, who wants to be thrown in as and old, tired stereotype.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on December 20, 2023, 12:41:21 PMDeVito likely has PR Barnum's 15 minutes of fame.  Suggest he understand and not overplay his value.

To get pedantic for a moment, it is PT Barnum, and his most famous quote is "There's a sucker born every minute", although there is no evidence he ever said it.

The 15 minutes of fame quote is generally attributed to Andy Warhol.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 20, 2023, 01:36:23 PMTo get pedantic for a moment, it is PT Barnum, and his most famous quote is "There's a sucker born every minute", although there is no evidence he ever said it.

The 15 minutes of fame quote is generally attributed to Andy Warhol.

Ha ha I may have spent my life thinking that was Barnum.  Thanks for pointing it out.

kartanoman

Quote from: zephirus on December 20, 2023, 09:51:10 AMThere's a report on Twitter from Wesley Steinberg that Tommy Devito recently told the teams social media manager to "quit it with all the Italian s***, I just wanna play football".

If true, it sounds like he understands what's up.  Hopefully he ditches his agent and gets back to work.

At first it was "cute" because it brought him attention and it was a good news story for him, his family and his local community. Carrying on gets old and no longer is "cute" but, instead, annoying bordering on disrespectful. For example, if I had ever become the Giants' placekicker, because I grew up in Polish Bayway Elizabeth, these same folks would be calling me the "Kicking Kielbasa" or start throwing Polish jokes around to keep the humor of it all going. It would get old quickly.

I will say, though, that I played the video with Tommy trying the old-fashioned soda made by Nino Coniglio who asked him "Ever try an egg cream?" Great memories of yesteryear when we had a (pardon the expression) soda-jerk around the corner.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

TDToomer

Not to be confused with the former Giants CB but Devito is becoming the Italian-American Willie Beamon from the movie Any Given Sunday with Tyrod Taylor playing the aging vet QB who doesn't get his starting job back who was played by Dennis Quaid.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

ralphpal1

The difference is dennis quaid won 2 or 3 championships
It would be funny if devito jumped to the Jets after this offseason like willie beanman

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 21, 2023, 11:54:29 AMhttps://x.com/JoshGerben/status/1737867244057596216?s=20
Sad to say that this kid is getting way ahead of himself. Too many distractions when he should be taking the most advantage of this extraordinary and rare opportunity.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 21, 2023, 12:05:50 PMSad to say that this kid is getting way ahead of himself. Too many distractions when he should be taking the most advantage of this extraordinary and rare opportunity.

I guess it's a matter of perspective.   On the one hand, it would be better (in pure football terms) to focus on film study, his craft, and the playbook).

On the other hand, if this is a one-off once-in-a-lifetime event (and considering he was a tryout undrafted free agent, it's not an unrealistic possibility), then he should get all the juice he can from the one squeeze. It's not like he is being paid millions by the Giants
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 21, 2023, 12:08:43 PMI guess it's a matter of perspective.   On the one hand, it would be better (in pure football terms to focus on film study, his craft, and the playbook).

On the other hand, if this is a one-off once-in-a-lifetime event (and considering he was a tryout undrafted free agent, it's not an unrealistic possibility), then he should get all the juice he can from the one squeeze. It's not like he is being paid millions by the Giants
His fortune could come down to something as simple as film review to exploit a weakness in the Eagles or something he picks up on himself. His goal should be to become a starter and if he runs the table in a seemingly impossible situation, it goes a long way to writing his own ticket. A ten year career or a flash in the pan with some chump change. His star dropped from 12 to 6 in New Orleans. The Italian gig has already fizzled out.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 21, 2023, 12:25:29 PMHis fortune could come down to something as simple as film review to exploit a weakness in the Eagles or something he picks up on himself. His goal should be to become a starter and if he runs the table in a seemingly impossible situation, it goes a long way to writing his own ticket. A ten year career or a flash in the pan with some chump change. His star dropped from 12 to 6 in New Orleans. The Italian gig has already fizzled out.

I think that would be sound advice that Tommy should hear
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 21, 2023, 12:05:50 PMSad to say that this kid is getting way ahead of himself. Too many distractions when he should be taking the most advantage of this extraordinary and rare opportunity.
Is it possible he's not doing the legwork for this? Maybe he already has a small team, or hell, even his parents/siblings are involved. As I understand it, they already have a family plumbing business? They could be taking care of the administrative stuff so Tommy can stay focused on football.

I don't see this in the same light as 'Yung Joka' aka 'The Ball Droppin' Choka'
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: