News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - What do you do now if you're Jerry Jones?

Started by DaveBrown74, January 15, 2024, 07:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you're Jerry Jones, how are you proceeding from here with this franchise?

DaveBrown74

I'm curious what people would do now if they were in Jerry Jones' position.

Doc16LT56

I think they're stuck with Dak for one more season. They need a new coaching staff either way.

I voted for the second option. The defense deserves just as much blame, but you don't get rid of talented players on D because of playoff failures. You keep adding talent to your core and address the coaching.

MightyGiants

At Jerry's age, I don't think there is a solution.   I mean, the best case is Jerry Jones becomes a hands-off owner, allows his son to be the GM and run the team, and hopes they turn things around before he dies.

It will take time to convince the NFL that Jerry is truly hands-off.  When that happens, the Cowboys can attract better head coaches (he already overpays and ensures the best lower-level coaches).

The Cowboys may also need to rethink their character optional (they can manage the worst people) approach to team building (that allows them to generate more talent because they don't take players off their board for character concerns).   A higher-character team may be able to handle the greater challenges the playoffs bring.

I think anything short of those drastic changes is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

Its simple ...Fire Macarthy and hire Belichick. ... both are getting older and now is the time to win.
Macarthy has one year left on contract and that makes it easy for Jerre. If Bill can't do it with that talent nobody can...especialy on defense..

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on January 15, 2024, 09:40:35 AMIts simple ...Fire Macarthy and hire Belichick. ... both are getting older and now is the time to win.
Macarthy has one year left on contract and that makes it easy for Jerre. If Bill can't do it with that talent nobody can...especialy on defense..

Bill Belichick is used to and expects complete control of his team, and Jerry Jones is used to and expects complete control of his team (and his head coach).   Can you imagine what would happen when those two mix?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Jerrah will change the staff (or at least McCarthy) at his age; he always references urgency in that regard. He looked shocked yesterday.

Question is what comes next? Dak will be there-whose better available? Cousins? And they have some big contracts looming (Parsons, CD), so a refit is in order with personal cap-wise. Still, they have talent but capsize at the most critical moments.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 15, 2024, 09:42:54 AMBill Belichick is used to and expects complete control of his team, and Jerry Jones is used to and expects complete control of his team (and his head coach).   Can you imagine what would happen when those two mix?

I agree that it's not a match made in heaven, but it won't surprise me at all if it happens. Assuming Belichick's number one goal is to break Shula's record, this is the obvious place for him to go. Even if the Cowboys are playoff chokers, they have won 12 or more games three years in a row with a middling coach. Neither the Falcons or Commanders are anywhere nearly as good. While he and Jones might not be the best partnership personality-wise, it is so much in each man's interest that I could see them hashing something out and just trying it.

If Belichick ends up in Atlanta I also won't be surprised, but my base case now is actually Dallas.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 15, 2024, 08:37:04 AMI think they're stuck with Dak for one more season. They need a new coaching staff either way.

I voted for the second option. The defense deserves just as much blame, but you don't get rid of talented players on D because of playoff failures. You keep adding talent to your core and address the coaching.

True.. I guess there is not much they can do about Dak in 2024. Plus with over 4500 passing yards, 36 TD passes, and a 106 rating he didn't exactly suck this year. Seems like they could get away from him after 2024 though.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 15, 2024, 10:17:03 AMI agree that it's not a match made in heaven, but it won't surprise me at all if it happens. Assuming Belichick's number one goal is to break Shula's record, this is the obvious place for him to go. Even if the Cowboys are playoff chokers, they have won 12 or more games three years in a row with a middling coach. Neither the Falcons or Commanders are anywhere nearly as good. While he and Jones might not be the best partnership personality-wise, it is so much in each man's interest that I could see them hashing something out and just trying it.

If Belichick ends up in Atlanta I also won't be surprised, but my base case now is actually Dallas.

I agree. Why couldn't it happen? I mean, if Jones managed to reel in the Big Tuna, why couldn't he also manage to grab his protégé as well?

But Big Bill didn't fare any better in the playoffs as he went one and done twice with the Cowboys. Can Little Bill do any better with what's on the current roster?

Let's see how it all plays out.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 15, 2024, 10:17:03 AMI agree that it's not a match made in heaven, but it won't surprise me at all if it happens. Assuming Belichick's number one goal is to break Shula's record, this is the obvious place for him to go. Even if the Cowboys are playoff chokers, they have won 12 or more games three years in a row with a middling coach. Neither the Falcons or Commanders are anywhere nearly as good. While he and Jones might not be the best partnership personality-wise, it is so much in each man's interest that I could see them hashing something out and just trying it.

Do you remember how many Dallas assistant coaches and coordinators made the top coaches list (according to players)?   McCarthy may not be a great head coach (I would say a slightly above average), but the assistants are the best money can by.  Belichick's assistants of late have been less than impressive.   So I also wonder exactly how much of an upgrade an aging Belichick will prove to be.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Quote from: kartanoman on January 15, 2024, 10:28:05 AMI agree. Why couldn't it happen? I mean, if Jones managed to reel in the Big Tuna, why couldn't he also manage to grab his protégé as well?

But Big Bill didn't fare any better in the playoffs as he went one and done twice with the Cowboys. Can Little Bill do any better with what's on the current roster?

Peace!

Tuna also was also in a divorce drama and got a nice cash influx. And was a PR win for Jerry World. I don't see Lil Bill there. He can break the record elsewhere.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on January 15, 2024, 10:28:05 AMI agree. Why couldn't it happen? I mean, if Jones managed to reel in the Big Tuna, why couldn't he also manage to grab his protégé as well?

Peace!

The Cowboys' roster is much, much better than the Pats'. The Pats' roster is awful, and of course I blame Bill for that, but he'd be coming in to a ready-made situation in Dallas and would only be there for a few years most likely. 3-4 years would be my guess.

I'm not sure Jones would be wiling to give the whole keys to Bill. Jones certainly isn't going to step completely aside. An 81 year old guy who has done the same thing for decades ain't changing at 81.

Bottom line I feel like when a situation is as symbiotic as this one appears to be, two adults can figure out a way to each make some compromises and make it work.

If Jones is interested, I really struggle seeing Bill pick Atlanta or Washington over them. Those teams are vastly inferior in terms of the roster, and we're you about to turn 72, you're not thinking about a 10 year outlook.

LennG

I would expect BB's phone has been ringing all morning. For those that say BB and JJ can't get along, or BB wants full control, remember BP went to work for JJ and he thrived (at least until Romo couldn't handle a snap). Whatever the workplace was, I'm sure BP had as much control as he wanted.
In BB's case, I think at his age, he wouldn't need full control. That is what the press is saying. I truly believe that if BB is to coach again, Dallas is the perfect place for him. They are ready to win and he wants to get to that most wins number badly. Dallas has the defense in place and the offense can take them over the top. All the other places it is a fix it before you can take that next step. Dallas holds everything BB would ever want right now. Remember Dallas seems to have the best front office, and best scouting so who needs full control?
I would expect him to be getting that call sometime today.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on January 15, 2024, 10:54:38 AMI would expect BB's phone has been ringing all morning. For those that say BB and JJ can't get along, or BB wants full control, remember BP went to work for JJ and he thrived (at least until Romo couldn't handle a snap). Whatever the workplace was, I'm sure BP had as much control as he wanted.
In BB's case, I think at his age, he wouldn't need full control. That is what the press is saying. I truly believe that if BB is to coach again, Dallas is the perfect place for him. They are ready to win and he wants to get to that most wins number badly. Dallas has the defense in place and the offense can take them over the top. All the other places it is a fix it before you can take that next step. Dallas holds everything BB would ever want right now. Remember Dallas seems to have the best front office, and best scouting so who needs full control?
I would expect him to be getting that call sometime today.

Len,

In fairness, Parcells was a master manipulator and motivator.  If anyone could play Jerrah it was Tuna.  Bill Belichick is more of an Xs and Os and maybe a culture genius.  So just because Parcells could handle the Cowboy's HC challenge, I don't think it's an indicator BB can do the same.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 15, 2024, 11:04:07 AMLen,

In fairness, Parcells was a master manipulator and motivator.  If anyone could play Jerrah it was Tuna.  Bill Belichick is more of an Xs and Os and maybe a culture genius.  So just because Parcells could handle the Cowboy's HC challenge, I don't think it's an indicator BB can do the same.

As I said, BB doesn't need full control. That is something that has been speculated in the media. At his age, why would he need that headache? Dallas is the perfect scenario for BB. A team that can win it all just needing the right coaching staff.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss