News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What would be your trigger to trade back in the draft?

Started by brownelvis54, February 17, 2024, 07:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AYM

I think if the top 5 started to shake out that way, there would be a mad rush to trade ahead of us to secure McCarthy, which means out of those 5 would end up at our pick.

gregf

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 17, 2024, 08:47:37 PMThat's my ideal draft at least as of mid February.

I think in the 6-8 range the Giants have a ton of options to get an elite talent.

JJ as our new QB1 in a trade down to #8 along With Polk, Benson, and Burton to pair with Hyatt and Wandale is a really exciting young offensive core. Then you also grab 2 studs on defense, an elite Safety to replace Mckinney, and Trotter Jr to pair with Okereke to give you one of the best young linebacking groups. Plus a talented tackle who could step in and be swing and an edge to develop later

Couple that with 2 guard signings, a DE, and a #2 and #3 Edge in FA and I think this is a playoff team next year or at minimum 8-9 with a ton of young talent to look forward to the future. Especially with the extra cap from Mccarthy being on a rookie deal.

I think that is how you can flip the Giants as an offense and a team in one offseason.

I really appreciate all your college insights.  I know you have reasons for not drafting o line early. I can respect that.  Personally,  I'd be disappointed if we don't grab more o line talent before the second sound closes

EliWasrobbed

I just dont see how they trade down when Schoen and Daboll could very well be fired next year if this team wins like 4 games.

if they truly do covet.. JJ MCCarthy (vomit) then I suppose we could trade down to the 12-14 range and get him.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

GloryDays

Based on draft history and success/failure statistics, the number of our needs and also this draft not having more than a couple of clear blue chippers, I would actively invite trade offers.
It would be really good if we could get another second for picking 5-6 spots lower and take a OT JC Latham.
Imagine if the opportunity is there for another trade down to around the 20th and grab Ladd McConkey, plus at least two other 2nd rounders ( 4 seconds) to add the needed potential upgrades. Getting that dynamic Receiver, two offensive linemen, an DT and a pass rusher, filling the biggest holes  in just two rounds!!!

Brooklyn Dave

The last time we traded back we lost out on MIcah Parsons and I could be mistaken, but while Alt  played last year as LT , didn't he play some right tackle at Notrte Dame before last year ?  Unless we upgrade our OL , we will be going nowhere . Drafting a QB without up grading our OL greatly is a mistake .

jimc

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 17, 2024, 08:50:04 PMEd, I agree. Thats a risk you have to take and be able to deal with the consequences. Having said that...I think the chances of JC Latham being there in the mid-first are a lot more likely than McCarthy being there in the mid-first. As the GM...if my 5 guys are gone, I am moving back and getting as many draft picks as possible, if my boy is gone then I am taking the best player I can get and defiantly looking for a guy that played exclusively at a RT in college and grabbing him with one of my two 2nd round picks.

I really like the idea of trading back, but there needs to be something at 6 that someone behind you is willing to trade up to get. I hope one of the qb's is there at 6 that someone wants and would consider moving up. Pick up the phone and consider how much more value you can get by trading out. We need way too much to consider taking a qb at 6.  If you can't trade out take the BPA.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

DaveBrown74

There really isn't a right or wrong answer on trading back as a matter of principle. It is entirely dependent on the specifics of the situation. I wouldn't be blindly for or against it without having more information. How far am I moving back? What exactly am I getting in return? What players are on the board now that I'll be passing up on if I move down? How many players would I be happy to draft in the target range of where I'm moving to? If I'm getting a second round pick, what do I think of the second round range? And so on.

The Giants lack top end players, and that is no secret. Getting an elite difference-maker at 6th overall would certainly help our team. On the other hand, the Giants are bereft of talent and depth all over the roster, so getting a chunk of valuable draft capital in exchange for just one pick could also make sense. It really depends on all the specifics of the situation. I am neither patently for or against moving down without knowing more.

katkavage

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 18, 2024, 06:12:05 AMThe last time we traded back we lost out on MIcah Parsons and I could be mistaken, but while Alt  played last year as LT , didn't he play some right tackle at Notrte Dame before last year ?  Unless we upgrade our OL , we will be going nowhere . Drafting a QB without up grading our OL greatly is a mistake .
Both drafting a QB and upgrading the Giants OL can be done. It's not one or the other.

uconnjack8

Jclayton92

Quote from: gregf on February 17, 2024, 10:05:22 PMI really appreciate all your college insights.  I know you have reasons for not drafting o line early. I can respect that.  Personally,  I'd be disappointed if we don't grab more o line talent before the second sound closes
I completely get that 100%. Schoen has tried to draft oline talent to fix the line in multiple years that hasn't panned out. So instead of drafting and waiting for them to develop I'm all in on grabbing talent to immediately fix the line now. So finding 2 guards to plug and play plus a swing would have us look like this potentially.

LT Thomas
LG Kevin Dotson
C JMS
RG Robert Hunt
RT Neal With us bringing long time swing from the Raiders Jermaine Eluemunor over with his old OLine coach who is plug n play if Neal fails.

Those 3 moves and we will have a complete rebuild and will have finally fixed the line and could focus on fixing the offensive skills and qb in the draft.

MightyGiants

Last time the Giants traded down they passed on Pro Bowl pass rusher Micah Parsons and Pro Bowl LT Rashawn Slater

In return they on Toney and Evan Neal (and some miscellaneous lower draft capital)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 18, 2024, 08:58:44 AMLast time the Giants traded down they passed on Pro Bowl pass rusher Micah Parsons and Pro Bowl LT Rashawn Slater

In return they on Toney and Evan Neal (and some miscellaneous lower draft capital)
Let's hope they learn from their mistakes. But with the draft there are no guarantees. The only way I favor a trade down is if they can't get their QB at six or by trading up. I don't think the receivers they can get at six (unless one is Harrison) will be game changers to the current team especially since there are so many very good receivers in this draft. I'd rather have more picks. Same with tackles. This is a draft full of good tackles.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on February 18, 2024, 09:09:39 AMLet's hope they learn from their mistakes. But with the draft there are no guarantees. The only way I favor a trade down is if they can't get their QB at six or by trading up. I don't think the receivers they can get at six (unless one is Harrison) will be game changers to the current team especially since there are so many very good receivers in this draft. I'd rather have more picks. Same with tackles. This is a draft full of good tackles.

This post demonstrates the other issue with trading down.  If you are trading down because you don't think there is any player worth drafting at 6, why on earth would a team trade up???

The reality is trade downs only work when there is a prospect that is worth drafting that the team trading down doesn't need due to their current roster.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 18, 2024, 09:17:21 AMThis post demonstrates the other issue with trading down.  If you are trading down because you don't think there is any player worth drafting at 6, why on earth would a team trade up???

The reality is trade downs only work when there is a prospect that is worth drafting that the team trading down doesn't need due to their current roster.
They might covet a player (receiver) that you do not. Plenty of reasons for it. Like I said, the receiver pool this year is very very deep. For a receiver to be effective he needs a QB. Giants don't have a top QB to work with a potentially great receiver. Get that first.