News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants rumors

Started by MightyGiants, March 03, 2024, 07:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Not understanding.  Does this mean they don't think JJ will be there with the6th pick ?  Or am I misunderstanding?

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on March 03, 2024, 08:57:18 AMNot understanding.  Does this mean they don't think JJ will be there with the6th pick ?  Or am I misunderstanding?

I interpret to mean they were trying for the top 3 and also checking out McCarthy as another possibility
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 09:01:42 AMI interpret to mean they were trying for the top 3 and also checking out McCarthy as another possibility

Or it could mean they are certain of the top 4 and are worried a team will jump them to select McCarthy at #5. Would be kind of funny to see Harbaugh trade his pick so a team could draft his former QB.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 07:59:59 AMhttps://x.com/nflrums/status/1764056591286845791?s=20
Lol, you're certainly committed to JJ. He had a good showing and he's a good looking kid with a great smile and publicly interviews well. He's Irish and I'm sure Mara noticed. I think Drake Maye hurt himself by not competing at the Combine and JJ may have leap frogged him after this past week. Eleven teams spoke to McCarthy. I can see the Giants moving up to take him. I can see Harbaugh and the Chargers trading down. No doubt they will be taking a hard look at the Tackles today.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Harbaugh said he is in "awe" of Justin Herbert.  He said he needs to get him a running game to make him and the Chargers' offense better.  At 5, Harbaugh is taking an OL probably or a WR.  He's in the perfect spot to trade for someone who wants to trade up.  I am sure teams behind the Giants who want a QB are afraid the Giants will draft one so they need to leapfrog the Giants.  Knowing that, Schoen thinks he needs to move up.

The big question in my mind would be if Schoen is targeting one QB in particular or a few QBs.  If it's the former, he really has less flexibility so may want to trade further up. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 03, 2024, 09:16:35 AMLol, you're certainly committed to JJ. He had a good showing and he's a good looking kid with a great smile and publicly interviews well. He's Irish and I'm sure Mara noticed. I think Drake Maye hurt himself by not competing at the Combine and JJ may have leap frogged him after this past week. Eleven teams spoke to McCarthy. I can see the Giants moving up to take him. I can see Harbaugh and the Chargers trading down. No doubt they will be taking a hard look at the Tackles today.

Ed,

It's not my fault that I was right about JJ  ;)  I told you that once the NFL people were heard from (as opposed to purely the draftniks), the talk about McCarthy on day two would become a distant memory and that the Giants drafting him at 6 (or higher) would enter the conversation.

If the Giants have to waste draft capital to trade with the Chargers hopefully people would understand why I was so pissed off with that meaningless win over the Eagles to end the season.  Had the Giants lost that game, they wouldn't have to be wasting valuable draft picks to move up.

The NFL YouTube channel has all the Combine throwing sessions.  I watched McCarthy, Nix, and Pennix.  As they say throwing at the Combine is challenging but I think McCarthy had the best session of the three.

I think McCarthy weighing in at 219 and still being able to run the short shuttle and 3 cone was a bit "win" for McCarthy as one of the knocks was that he was too light at 205 (what he was listed at Michigan).  I also thought his two drills suggest a 40 time in the low 4.5s.

As for drafting an OT at 6.  The Giants need something to get the fanbase excited.  Drafting yet another top 10 OT isn't going to do it.  I have to think the Giants go WR or QB with their first pick.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on March 03, 2024, 09:27:32 AMHarbaugh said he is in "awe" of Justin Herbert.  He said he needs to get him a running game to make him and the Chargers' offense better.  At 5, Harbaugh is taking an OL probably or a WR.  He's in the perfect spot to trade for someone who wants to trade up.  I am sure teams behind the Giants who want a QB are afraid the Giants will draft one so they need to leapfrog the Giants.  Knowing that, Schoen thinks he needs to move up.

The big question in my mind would be if Schoen is targeting one QB in particular or a few QBs.  If it's the former, he really has less flexibility so may want to trade further up. 
A couple of weeks ago I thought how it might work out to trade up with Chicago and then trade down with a New England and control the situation. After yesterday however, I can see Four QB's taken before the Giants pick at six. I can also see Nix and Penix moving up to the top of the mid first round.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 09:32:48 AMEd,

It's not my fault that I was right about JJ  ;)  I told you that once the NFL people were heard from (as opposed to purely the draftniks), the talk about McCarthy on day two would become a distant memory and that the Giants drafting him at 6 (or higher) would enter the conversation.

If the Giants have to waste draft capital to trade with the Chargers hopefully people would understand why I was so pissed off with that meaningless win over the Eagles to end the season.  Had the Giants lost that game, they wouldn't have to be wasting valuable draft picks to move up.

The NFL YouTube channel has all the Combine throwing sessions.  I watched McCarthy, Nix, and Pennix.  As they say throwing at the Combine is challenging but I think McCarthy had the best session of the three.

I think McCarthy weighing in at 219 and still being able to run the short shuttle and 3 cone was a bit "win" for McCarthy as one of the knocks was that he was too light at 205 (what he was listed at Michigan).  I also thought his two drills suggest a 40 time in the low 4.5s.

As for drafting an OT at 6.  The Giants need something to get the fanbase excited.  Drafting yet another top 10 OT isn't going to do it.  I have to think the Giants go WR or QB with their first pick.

I was referring to the Chargers taking a hard look at the Tackles today.

Penix had the best day throwing IMO.

I said repeatedly that I needed more to evaluate McCarthy and I like him but I also don't see him as a day one starter. That's why I said he would be a good fit for the Giants who are hard committed to DJ starting in 2024.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 03, 2024, 09:41:08 AMI was referring to the Chargers taking a hard look at the Tackles today.

Penix had the best day throwing IMO.

I said repeatedly that I needed more to evaluate McCarthy and I like him but I also don't see him as a day one starter. That's why I said he would be a good fit for the Giants who are hard committed to DJ starting in 2024.

The thing that bothered me about Penix was while the announcers were ohing and ahhing about Penix's deep throws, I couldn't help but notice they were missing the receiver.

I know the narrative that JJ isn't ready to start is a popular one (owing to him making less passing attempts compared to other older prospects), I am not sure it's an accurate one.

As for the Giants being committed to Jones being the starter, I think if the current staff invests in a round-one QB, that commitment goes right out the window.  I think the investment of a high first-round pick, trumps the contract they payed DJ
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 09:49:34 AMThe thing that bothered me about Penix was while the announcers were ohing and ahhing about Penix's deep throws, I couldn't help but notice they were missing the receiver.

I know the narrative that JJ isn't ready to start is a popular one (owing to him making less passing attempts compared to other older prospects), I am not sure it's an accurate one.

As for the Giants being committed to Jones being the starter, I think if the current staff invests in a round-one QB, that commitment goes right out the window.  I think the investment of a high first-round pick, trumps the contract they payed DJ
Did you watch the NFL+ broadcast with the Receivers or the fluff one on TV?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 03, 2024, 10:02:02 AMDid you watch the NFL+ broadcast with the Receivers or the fluff one on TV?

I watched the ones on the NFL YouTube channel
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 09:49:34 AMThe thing that bothered me about Penix was while the announcers were ohing and ahhing about Penix's deep throws, I couldn't help but notice they were missing the receiver.

Rich - if a rookie QB is not a day 1 starter in the NFL, I doubt very much it is because of his physicals.  It's because he has not mastered the playbook, reading coverages, the speed of the game, etc.  I think all those areas are where JJ has an advantage over Williams, Maye and Daniels.  Frankly, I don't think any of them should be day 1 starters, not because they can't be, but because watching and learning at least a few games may be a great way to work themselves in effectively.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 03, 2024, 10:07:36 AMRich - if a rookie QB is not a day 1 starter in the NFL, I doubt very much it is because of his physicals.  It's because he has not mastered the playbook, reading coverages, the speed of the game, etc.  I think all those areas are where JJ has an advantage over Williams, Maye and Daniels.  Frankly, I don't think any of them should be day 1 starters, not because they can't be, but because watching and learning at least a few games may be a great way to work themselves in effectively.

Joe,

I agree, coming from a pro style offense gives McCarthy a boost even if he is younger and has less pass attempts.  I  think playing in the college playoffs also helped getting him ready for the NFL
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 10:10:15 AMJoe,

I agree, coming from a pro style offense gives McCarthy a boost even if he is younger and has less pass attempts.  I  think playing in the college playoffs also helped getting him ready for the NFL

I don't know if you saw it Rich, but Joe Milton had the hardest throw at the Combine at 62 miles per hour.  JJ was second at 61 mph.  Some of the QBs were over 10 mph slower.