News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants rumors

Started by MightyGiants, March 03, 2024, 07:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 03, 2024, 10:23:49 AMI don't know if you saw it Rich, but Joe Milton had the hardest throw at the Combine at 62 miles per hour.  JJ was second at 61 mph.  Some of the QBs were over 10 mph slower.

I wish all the QBs participated in that drill, as it's perhaps the best drill to measure pure arm stength
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 10:25:46 AMI wish all the QBs participated in that drill, as it's perhaps the best drill to measure pure arm stength

I saw Milton at Michigan.  He reminds me of JaMarcus Russell type arm strength more so than any other college QB I have ever seen.  Milton is not accurate at all, but he can throw it from Tennessee to Ohio.  I have always said JJ as a very live arm, but I did not expect his miles per hour to be only 1 mph different from Milton.  That's really good because he is a lot more accurate than Milton.

Topshelf21

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 09:32:48 AMAs for drafting an OT at 6.  The Giants need something to get the fanbase excited.  Drafting yet another top 10 OT isn't going to do it.  I have to think the Giants go WR or QB with their first pick.
I'd be ok with trading back/selecting an OT if we get an "offer they can't refuse" type of deal. I'm in the belief that we have too many holes & deficits and too few picks/cap space. I'm also in the belief that a winning franchise is built from the trenches out.

While I'm optimistic that Bricillo will improve our current OLmen and along with that "a rising tide raises all boats", however, I'd still like to add a stud RT and move Neal inside to G. So if we could pick up an additional 2nd round pick this year and perhaps add someone ala JC Latham by trading down, I wouldn't be upset.

DJ isn't going anywhere this year. Schoen needs wins to ensure his job imo. I don't think a WR or QB gets more wins this season when your QB looks like he's in a pinball machine every time he drops back.

Just my thoughts...

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Topshelf21 on March 03, 2024, 03:15:10 PMI'd be ok with trading back/selecting an OT if we get an "offer they can't refuse" type of deal. I'm in the belief that we have too many holes & deficits and too few picks/cap space. I'm also in the belief that a winning franchise is built from the trenches out.

While I'm optimistic that Bricillo will improve our current OLmen and along with that "a rising tide raises all boats", however, I'd still like to add a stud RT and move Neal inside to G. So if we could pick up an additional 2nd round pick this year and perhaps add someone ala JC Latham by trading down, I wouldn't be upset.

DJ isn't going anywhere this year. Schoen needs wins to ensure his job imo. I don't think a WR or QB gets more wins this season when your QB looks like he's in a pinball machine every time he drops back.

Just my thoughts...

I struggle to see Schoen getting fired after this season under almost any circumstances. Gettleman's tenure was a complete and utter disaster, and he got four years. GMs tend to get more rope than coaches. Considering that 2022 was a good year, Mara is not going to fire Schoen for what would only be two bad years. If the Giants have a debacle season this year (under 5-6 wins), Daboll could get fired, but I think Schoen would get through it but would probably be on the hot seat in 2025.

Topshelf21

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 03, 2024, 03:25:09 PMI struggle to see Schoen getting fired after this season under almost any circumstances. Gettleman's tenure was a complete and utter disaster, and he got four years. GMs tend to get more rope than coaches. Considering that 2022 was a good year, Mara is not going to fire Schoen for what would only be two bad years. If the Giants have a debacle season this year (under 5-6 wins), Daboll could get fired, but I think Schoen would get through it but would probably be on the hot seat in 2025.

Good point, however, I believe Schoen will want to ensure he gets more wins and therefore cements his position. He has no history of being a GM, and these jobs don't come around often, so I believe in wins=security in a job that is his dream. These jobs are fewer and more far in between than any other management position in the NFL.

4 to 5 wins has Mara itching to pull the trigger as he's not getting any younger.

8+ wins has Mara's finger off the trigger imo.

I appreciate your input DB74.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Topshelf21 on March 03, 2024, 03:33:11 PMGood point, however, I believe Schoen will want to ensure he gets more wins and therefore cements his position. He has no history of being a GM, and these jobs don't come around often, so I believe in wins=security in a job that is his dream. These jobs are fewer and more far in between than any other management position in the NFL.

4 to 5 wins has Mara itching to pull the trigger as he's not getting any younger.

8+ wins has Mara's finger off the trigger imo.

I appreciate your input DB74.

Pleasure, and I appreciate yours as well Top.

I will certainly agree that Schoen will want more wins. Good point about Mara potentially just losing his mind and cleaning house if the season truly goes off the rails. We have seen him do it before. I think that would need to mean something like 3 or 4 wins though (or less). We're talking Schoen here specifically. I think he's pretty safe for 2024. I think Daboll is less safe.

Mara knows these jobs have been revolving doors recently, and I think he wants very much for that to end. I think it will take a lot for him to fire people after this season. I think that will especially be true if they make a transition at the QB position and a rookie starts a material number of games.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Topshelf21 on March 03, 2024, 03:15:10 PMI'd be ok with trading back/selecting an OT if we get an "offer they can't refuse" type of deal. I'm in the belief that we have too many holes & deficits and too few picks/cap space. I'm also in the belief that a winning franchise is built from the trenches out.

Just my thoughts...

I wouldn't be heartbroken if NYG trades down to get more picks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

There are two advantages to obtaining Pick Three. First, obviously, it's a higher pick.

Second, not so obvious, if there's a surprise or a trade above them (only two picks instead of five), they have the option to wait for phone calls and trade back out.

Lastly, I strongly believe they want Marvin Harrison, Jr., and obtaining Pick Three is likely the only way to get him. They can (and probably would IMO) consider trading a player or players considered "untouchable" in order to get him. I can name the possibilities I see, but you all can figure this. Who's "untouchable" on the Giants? There aren't that many possibilities and one of them IMO is NOT our left tackle. Just sayin' ... HINT: look for the best players who sell the fewest T-shirts and hot dogs compared to their value to the team on the field.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 03, 2024, 03:46:03 PMI wouldn't be heartbroken if NYG trades down to get more picks

I wouldn't either. The more I look at this draft, the more loaded I realize it is. I think covid basically stacked classes together.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 03, 2024, 03:49:33 PMI wouldn't either. The more I look at this draft, the more loaded I realize it is. I think covid basically stacked classes together.

DB and Rich: They need to be seen as "coming through" for the team, head coach and fan base after this draft.

It won't be easy. If it's a trade down that permits them to walk to the post-draft podium and legitimately claim they have gotten two first-round-worthy players in exchange for one first-round selection, then IMO that would work. There are two ways it can happen... one is to trade for a really good player in addition to receiving the trading-partner's first rounder this year and maybe one other pick this year or a high one next year.

If it's a trade down that does not permit them to claim to have obviously gotten the better of the deal (see above) then no... I'd rather see them trade up.  It's time for some bold and decisive action (although I would be OK with them staying put - which IMO is the greatest likelihood) and take whomever they deem the best player available in THIS DRAFT at any position already not picked-over by teams one through five.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 03, 2024, 03:49:33 PMI wouldn't either. The more I look at this draft, the more loaded I realize it is. I think covid basically stacked classes together.
I've been saying that from the get go. Unless they get one of the QBs at six or in a trade up, they should trade back. Too many good receivers in the draft to grab one at six. And they've invested high picks on the OL. Maybe if they trade down they will get one. Not at six though.

Jclayton92

A lot of smoke around us signing Danielle hunter the edge and Jonah Jackson

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 03, 2024, 05:39:43 PMA lot of smoke around us signing Danielle hunter the edge and Jonah Jackson

Danielle Hunter is awesome. What would he cost? Guy hasn't missed a game the last two seasons, he's still not even 30, and he has averaged 13.5 sacks a year the last two years. Definitely one of the best edges in the league.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 03, 2024, 05:55:00 PMDanielle Hunter is awesome. What would he cost? Guy hasn't missed a game the last two seasons, he's still not even 30, and he has averaged 13.5 sacks a year the last two years. Definitely one of the best edges in the league.
3yr 60 million. Rumored at minimum he wants 20 a year.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 03, 2024, 05:55:00 PMDanielle Hunter is awesome. What would he cost? Guy hasn't missed a game the last two seasons, he's still not even 30, and he has averaged 13.5 sacks a year the last two years. Definitely one of the best edges in the league.

According to sportrac 20 mill/year.

If the Giants sign him, to me it will reek of desperation and urgency for some peoples jobs.  It would feel way too much like some other, relatively recent, big ticket FA sprees that ultimately didnt save the jobs they were intended to.

And then create cap issues in a few years.

Feels like a good signing for a team like the Texans.  They aren't far from the top and they have a young stud EDGE one side on a rookie contract.  Would be a great pairing.