News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - NFL Coaching landing spots

Started by DaveBrown74, January 13, 2024, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

We don't really have a centralized thread for this topic, so I figured I'd start one.

Curious to see what people think of the open coaching spots and whom these teams might land.

I have been hearing the Falcons are talking to Belichick right now. The previous expectation had been that he'd land in Washington, but the noise level has increased around the Falcons lately.

Most recent rumor I have seen is Harbaugh to the Chargers. That would be big for Herbert.

https://twitter.com/nflrums/status/1746234769229111693

spiderblue43

Dave,

I don't know why the Bears aren't all in for Jim Boy. Eberflus is not taking them to the promised land. GM Ryan Poles has established himself?

Maybe they know Harbaugh isn't interested. The Chargers are a good landing spot for total control.

Falcons have an established owner in Blank, whose being drawing them for years. Lil Bill there? He'd get what he wants in the front office. QB trade up I expect from them.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on January 13, 2024, 02:14:52 PMDave,

I don't know why the Bears aren't all in for Jim Boy. Eberflus is not taking them to the promised land. GM Ryan Poles has established himself?

Maybe they know Harbaugh isn't interested. The Chargers are a good landing spot for total control.

Falcons have an established owner in Blank, whose being drawing them for years. Lil Bill there? He'd get what he wants in the front office. QB trade up I expect from them.

I think that's exactly right. Harbaugh wants a total control situation. It's not like the Chargers to offer that (or to pay up), but maybe they are realizing they need someone like him in there to get that franchise under control.

From Harbaugh's point of view I could totally see going there. It doesn't take a football savant to see Herbert's talent. That is a great centerpiece there.

I wouldn't count on a trade-up if I'm the Falcons. They're picking behind us, and I feel like our chances are somewhat low. Maybe they can get Penix though if they want.

I think it's between the Falcons and Commanders for Bill. I don't see Tennessee or Carolina wooing him, and there is almost no way I can see it being Seattle.

Harbaugh wouldn't go to the Bears. I think he wants total control.

spiderblue43

Well..the Panthers are poison to anyone desirable with Tepper Tantrum. Commanders have new ownership and bureaucracy that might encumber BB. Blank will indulge him. They have some pieces. QB starved.

Titans are looking for a young gun OC (isn't everybody?). They are dysfunctional.

Rosehill Jimmy

If Boys and/or Eagles stub their collective toes in the playoffs, what are the chances BB ends up in either place?
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on January 13, 2024, 02:52:12 PMIf Boys and/or Eagles stub their collective toes in the playoffs, what are the chances BB ends up in either place?

I guess you have to think both of those coaches could lose their job after a first round exit, especially Siriani after the way they finished this year and the talk of the locker room imploding. Could BB end up at one of them? I guess you can't rule it out, although if BB is seeking a "total control" situation I highly doubt it. Nobody has control in Dallas other than Jones, and Howie Roseman's job is not in jeopardy in Philly.

I would say it's a longshot but not impossible.

spiderblue43

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on January 13, 2024, 02:52:12 PMIf Boys and/or Eagles stub their collective toes in the playoffs, what are the chances BB ends up in either place?

Howie and Jerrah won't give BB the juice he needs. He can break the record in the crap NFC South and be in charge.

TDToomer

I feel like every team with openings are interviewing the same candidates. I can't figure out where any of them are going to land.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

Jim Harbaugh does not want total control.  He has repeatedly said he only wants to coach.  He does not like the business side that a GM has to be.  He said he is happy to work with a GM.  He wants to instill his culture within a team and to have control over coaching.  That's it.

He is talking this week with the Chargers.  My guess is the Raiders may want to talk to him.  There has been no discussion of the Panthers or Commanders asking to speak to him.

Michigan has put a big contract in front of him, however, the one sticking point I am hearing from notable alum holding him back from signing it has to do with the NCAA and what they ultimately may try to do.

Philosophers

Pete Carroll is the other interesting name in my opinion.  I can see him returning to the Los Angeles area.  Frankly, I don't know why the University of Washington would not contact him to be head coach for their team.  He is a high energy guy who wants to continue coaching.

TDToomer

Quote from: Philosophers on January 14, 2024, 01:13:20 PMPete Carroll is the other interesting name in my opinion.  I can see him returning to the Los Angeles area.  Frankly, I don't know why the University of Washington would not contact him to be head coach for their team.  He is a high energy guy who wants to continue coaching.

Maybe because he will be 74 by the start of the season?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

LennG

Some lucky team is going to sign Antonio Pierce and never look back.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MagicRat

I have a feeling Bill ends up at the Chargers.
Harbaugh may fancy Vegas.
They're the shiny things.
Smell my cheese you mother!

spiderblue43

Gronk just blurted Bill and the Falcons working on something..that makes sense

BluesCruz

Would love to see Pierce join us as DC to be promoted if Daboll goes next year

Wink landing softly in a Florida location- JAX
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"