News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Report: At Least 10 Big Ten Football Players Have Heart Condition Myocarditis

Source: Bleacher Report

One major factor that led to the Big Ten announcing the postponement of the 2020 fall sports season, including college football, was the long-term effects of the coronavirus.

According to Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic, the conference is aware of at least 10 players who have the rare heart condition myocarditis, which reportedly has a high prevalence in people who have had COVID-19.

This is considered an "alarmingly high number" of the rare condition caused by viruses and it has caused decision-makers across college athletics to reconsider their views, per Auerbach.

Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez is out for the MLB season because of myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart, which occurred after he contracted the coronavirus.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904115-report-at-least-10-big-ten-football-players-have-heart-condition-myocarditis
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Here's a different way to divide up and analyze covid cases.  The previous statistical analysis I posted compared results in Western Europe against those in the United States.

The stats below compare numbers in Red States vs Blue States (as determined by which party holds the Governor's Mansion and therefore controls public health policy).

Red States (Republican Governors) - 56,813 deaths (about 376 deaths per million people).
Blue States (Democrat Governors) - 106,146 deaths (about 596 deaths per million people).

To integrate these with some of the previous stats, just out of curiosity, here's what you get:

Death Rates Per Million People
UK - 685
Spain - 611
Blue States - 590
Italy - 582
France - 465
Red States - 375
Germany -111

Warnings:
(1) These numbers change daily, and the some are trending up while others are trending down.
(2) The covid "cycle of destruction" appears to be somewhere between the middle of its course and the end, but no one knows exactly where it is.
(3) I suspect that population density should be considered in analyzing the data, because proximity of people to each other increases the odds of transmitting the disease.
(4) In case you're interested, here's a link that shows state population densities:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/183588/population-density-in-the-federal-states-of-the-us/

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

I think a big part of the equation is when outbreaks hit. There has been progress in treatment of the virus.  States that had spikes after May have the benefit of a treatment plan.  Having it hit a place like NYC first was a worst, predictable scenario. 

I think dividing the states that was serves no purpose scientifically.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on August 12, 2020, 01:31:11 AM
I think a big part of the equation is when outbreaks hit. There has been progress in treatment of the virus.  States that had spikes after May have the benefit of a treatment plan.  Having it hit a place like NYC first was a worst, predictable scenario. 

I think dividing the states that was serves no purpose scientifically.

Unconn,

The study Bob presented is not sound from a statistical or public health perspective.   

The majority of cons fall into one of two groups-   the get rich/make money  and miracle cures

Those cons work because people want to believe in whatever is being sold, which makes it much easier to fool them.

There are people who desperately want to believe that the GOP/Trump is not responsible for 10s of thousands of needless deaths.   For those people, this statistical slight of hand will be more than welcome and certainly will not be scrutinized (where it would quickly crumble)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ron in NJ

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 12, 2020, 12:18:33 AM
Here's a different way to divide up and analyze covid cases.  The previous statistical analysis I posted compared results in Western Europe against those in the United States.

The stats below compare numbers in Red States vs Blue States (as determined by which party holds the Governor's Mansion and therefore controls public health policy).

Red States (Republican Governors) - 56,813 deaths (about 376 deaths per million people).
Blue States (Democrat Governors) - 106,146 deaths (about 596 deaths per million people).

To integrate these with some of the previous stats, just out of curiosity, here's what you get:

Death Rates Per Million People
UK - 685
Spain - 611
Blue States - 590
Italy - 582
France - 465
Red States - 375
Germany -111

Warnings:
(1) These numbers change daily, and the some are trending up while others are trending down.
(2) The covid "cycle of destruction" appears to be somewhere between the middle of its course and the end, but no one knows exactly where it is.
(3) I suspect that population density should be considered in analyzing the data, because proximity of people to each other increases the odds of transmitting the disease.
(4) In case you're interested, here's a link that shows state population densities:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/183588/population-density-in-the-federal-states-of-the-us/

Bob

Unless people are being resurrected, death rates measured this way can only go up.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 12, 2020, 07:33:22 AM

Unconn,

The study Bob presented is not sound from a statistical or public health perspective.   

The majority of cons fall into one of two groups-   the get rich/make money  and miracle cures

Those cons work because people want to believe in whatever is being sold, which makes it much easier to fool them.

There are people who desperately want to believe that the GOP/Trump is not responsible for 10s of thousands of needless deaths.   For those people, this statistical slight of hand will be more than welcome and certainly will not be scrutinized (where it would quickly crumble)

Rich:   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I don't see any criticism of the numbers I used. 

They are REAL numbers, not political statements as in your post above. 

What happened to science?  There's nothing more scientific than numbers. 

Instead of dealing with the numbers and the reality, you issue a "veiled" attack on the person who made the post.

Are you accusing me of conning you?

Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 12, 2020, 08:28:26 AM
Rich:   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I don't see any criticism of the numbers I used. 

They are REAL numbers, not political statements as in your post above. 

What happened to science?  There's nothing more scientific than numbers. 

Instead of dealing with the numbers and the reality, you issue a "veiled" attack on the person who made the post.

Are you accusing me of conning you?

Bob

Bob,

We have gone over the numbers before, so I know you are aware of the flaw.   You are using static numbers in a dynamic situation.   You were shown that the US currently has a death rate in excess of 10 times the comparable European population.   The red state blue state thing would show a similar disparity.   That is a fact

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Frankly, this sound criminally neglegent

'This is no longer a debate': Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks

Source: Washington Post

August 12, 2020 at 2:32 a.m. CDT

On Tuesday, as Florida set a daily record for covid-19 deaths, Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods prohibited his deputies from wearing masks at work. His order, which also applies to visitors to the sheriff
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Read this article, if you want to learn about some of the things that really concern me about this outbreak

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/12/after-covid19-mental-neurological-effects-smolder/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 12, 2020, 08:32:13 AM
Bob,

We have gone over the numbers before, so I know you are aware of the flaw.   You are using static numbers in a dynamic situation.   You were shown that the US currently has a death rate in excess of 10 times the comparable European population.   The red state blue state thing would show a similar disparity.   That is a fact

Rich: First, there is no flaw.  Those are the number from Worldometer.  I just did the addition, multiplication and division to produce the chart.

Second, I specifically warned in my post that "the numbers change daily.  Some are trending up, others are trending down." 

Last, your post (in bold type above) should be qualified to explain use of the term "death rate."  There are at least three types of death rate stats.  I used death rate per million people, which IMO is the best measure.

Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 12, 2020, 09:04:08 AM
Rich: First, there is no flaw.  Those are the number from Worldometer.  I just did the addition, multiplication and division to produce the chart.

Second, I specifically warned in my post that "the numbers change daily.  Some are trending up, others are trending down." 

Last, your post (in bold type above) should be qualified to explain use of the term "death rate."  There are at least three types of death rate stats.  I used death rate per million people, which IMO is the best measure.

Bob

Bob,

Your little exercise reminds me of a project I had at work some years back (when tablets like the I-Pad were first coming out).   There was an entity that was offering grants to public health agencies for emergency communications equipment.   One of my bosses thought that grant would be a great way to get I-pads for all the health departments in my county and he asked me to write up a grant proposal that would justify it.

Well never one to not tackle an assignment I went to work trying to justify that an I-pad could be considered an emergency communications device.   If I have to say so myself, I did a really good job on the proposal (considering I was in essence creating a bit of fiction).   I told my boss this-  If the entity wants to give the county health departments I-pads this grant I wrote would justify them doing that.  On the surface, if you read my proposal it sounded pretty good.    I qualified it that if it's a competitive situation or if they people issuing the grant really study and think about what I wrote it would quickly break down as request that was all smoke and mirrors and not grounded in solid reason.   

Interestingly enough, while we didn't get that grant a few months later that same entity was able to get a grant from somewhere else that got I-Pads for all the health departments in the state.  While I can't prove it, I am pretty sure the entity I submitted my proposal to, cribbed it for their own grant to get I-Pads (the timing is perfect and as I said, I made a pretty good case)

So that's how I see your study, Bob.   If you want to believe Trump and the GOP haven't done a terrible job with Covid, your report will be a great justification for that belief.  However, if you really want to get to the truth or you are not coming into the situation with a desire to belive there hasn't been negligence on the part of Trump and the GOP your report (like my I-pad emergency communication device claim) quickly breaks down. 

Here is a better exercise,

NJ, with Covid under control, is quarantining travelers from high Covid states.  How many of the high Covid states are red states?

As of Tuesday, August 11, the following states and territories meet the criteria stated above: Alabama; Arkansas; Arizona; California; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Iowa; Idaho; Indiana; Illinois; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maryland; Minnesota; Missouri; Mississippi; Montana; North Carolina; North Dakota; Nebraska; Nevada; Oklahoma; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Virginia; Wisconsin; Puerto Rico; and the Virgin Islands.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 12, 2020, 09:20:02 AM
Bob,

Your little exercise reminds me of a project I had at work some years back (when tablets like the I-Pad were first coming out).   There was an entity that was offering grants to public health agencies for emergency communications equipment.   One of my bosses thought that grant would be a great way to get I-pads for all the health departments in my county and he asked me to write up a grant proposal that would justify it.

Well never one to not tackle an assignment I went to work trying to justify that an I-pad could be considered an emergency communications device.   If I have to say so myself, I did a really good job on the proposal (considering I was in essence creating a bit of fiction).   I told my boss this-  If the entity wants to give the county health departments I-pads this grant I wrote would justify them doing that.  On the surface, if you read my proposal it sounded pretty good.    I qualified it that if it's a competitive situation or if they people issuing the grant really study and think about what I wrote it would quickly break down as request that was all smoke and mirrors and not grounded in solid reason.   

Interestingly enough, while we didn't get that grant a few months later that same entity was able to get a grant from somewhere else that got I-Pads for all the health departments in the state.

So that's how I see your study, Bob.   If you want to believe Trump and the GOP haven't done a terrible job with Covid, your report will be a great justification for that belief.  However, if you really want to get to the truth or you are not coming into the situation with a desire to belive there hasn't been negligence on the part of Trump and the GOP your report (like my I-pad emergency communication device claim) quickly breaks down.  While I can't prove it, I am pretty sure the entity I submitted my proposal to, cribbed it for their own grant to get I-Pads (the timing is perfect and as I said, I made a pretty good case)

Rich: I think the Trump administration did no better or worse than any of the Governors. 

I'm not trying to convince myself (or anyone else) of anything.  The numbers speak for themselves. 

Personally, I wouldn't draw a conclusion (other than a conclusion about the day on which those numbers were generated). 

Bob

PS. I'll try to get time to do it again in about a month or two and see if they change, and in which direction.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 12, 2020, 09:40:14 AM
Rich: I think the Trump administration did no better or worse than any of the Governors. 

I'm not trying to convince myself (or anyone else) of anything.  The numbers speak for themselves. 

Personally, I wouldn't draw a conclusion (other than a conclusion about the day on which those numbers were generated). 

Bob

PS. I'll try to get time to do it again in about a month or two and see if they change, and in which direction.

Bob,

I see you posted this before I added this.  If you want to get a feel for what is really happening, break down this list NJ created.  NJ currently is one of the few states that has Covid under control.   To try and keep it that way they are quarantining travelers from high risk states.   Of this list 31 states, how many are red states?

QuoteThe travel advisory applies to any person arriving from a state or territory with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents or a state with a 10 percent or higher positivity rate over a 7-day rolling average.

As of Tuesday, August 11, the following states and territories meet the criteria stated above: Alabama; Arkansas; Arizona; California; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Iowa; Idaho; Indiana; Illinois; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maryland; Minnesota; Missouri; Mississippi; Montana; North Carolina; North Dakota; Nebraska; Nevada; Oklahoma; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Virginia; Wisconsin; Puerto Rico; and the Virgin Islands.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Coronavirus in Europe: Infections surge in France, Germany and Spain

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53747852

"More than 1,200 cases were reported in Germany in the past 24 hours. Officials said the rise was due, in part, to people returning from holidays.

It came as Germany warned against non-essential trips to parts of Spain.

Meanwhile, France had 2,524 new cases in 24 hours, the highest daily rise since its lockdown was lifted in May."

"Spain is facing the worst coronavirus infection rate in Western Europe. It recorded 1,418 new infections in its latest daily count on Tuesday and said there were 675 "active outbreaks" in the country.

Salvador Macip, an expert in health sciences at Catalonia's Open University, told AFP news agency the country was at a "critical moment".

"We are right at a point where things can get better or worse. This means we have to pull out all the stops to curb outbreaks before they become more serious," he said.

In total, Spain has recorded more than 326,000 cases - the highest number in Western Europe and the 11th highest in the world."

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on August 13, 2020, 10:52:23 AM
Coronavirus in Europe: Infections surge in France, Germany and Spain

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53747852

"More than 1,200 cases were reported in Germany in the past 24 hours. Officials said the rise was due, in part, to people returning from holidays.

It came as Germany warned against non-essential trips to parts of Spain.

Meanwhile, France had 2,524 new cases in 24 hours, the highest daily rise since its lockdown was lifted in May."

"Spain is facing the worst coronavirus infection rate in Western Europe. It recorded 1,418 new infections in its latest daily count on Tuesday and said there were 675 "active outbreaks" in the country.

Salvador Macip, an expert in health sciences at Catalonia's Open University, told AFP news agency the country was at a "critical moment".

"We are right at a point where things can get better or worse. This means we have to pull out all the stops to curb outbreaks before they become more serious," he said.

In total, Spain has recorded more than 326,000 cases - the highest number in Western Europe and the 11th highest in the world."

To give those daily numbers some context, the US had over 50,500 new cases yesterday
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE