News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Draft Dreams part two

Started by afan56, November 19, 2022, 04:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you want #1 in the draft regardless of need

QB
4 (12.5%)
WR
20 (62.5%)
RB
0 (0%)
Edge
0 (0%)
DB
6 (18.8%)
TE
0 (0%)
Your choice
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: November 26, 2022, 04:40:37 PM

afan56

Just entertaining thoughts while watching the end of college football.

UncannyGfan

1) I chose DB because Adoree Jackson (who is having an incredible season) will become a free agent after the 2023 season.  I don't think they'll re-sign him in order to clear cap space for Andrew Thomas.  If they draft a CB in the latter half of the first round, it'll give him a season as a #2 or #3 CB before becoming their #1 when Jackson signs elsewhere.   

2) If there is a really good DL, he might be too hard to pass up since Williams and Lawrence could probably use some relief and I think Williams will also be FA after the 2023 season.  I placed CB ahead of DL because CB's typically struggle in their rookie year. 

3) MLB, McFadden and Crowder are competing with each other for starts.  I think if there is a MLB who belongs in the first round when the Giants pick, he'll likely become the starter and make the defense materially better.

4) IOL, they could likely find an instant starter at this point in the draft (assuming bottom third).  Since impactful IOL and TE are typically drafted 2-4 there isn't as much pressure on this position for a round 1 pick

5) WR, I'm not going to deny it being a major need and if there is a clear choice at WR ahead of the above groups the Giants should go in this direction.  I have it low on this list because the Golladay contract takes up so much cap space and the failed Toney pick lowers my confidence it's a good idea.  The team is winning despite their WRs and it's because of their running game and defense.  I think they should continue to support what has been working.  If they need to throw the ball more, they are going to need an IOL that can hold up better than they have in this department which is another reason I placed IOL ahead of WR.

There are plenty of position groups they can draft in the latter half of round #1 next year that will make a difference, so it's hard to narrow down which position groups to follow in college football right now.       

Philosophers

I want best player, however, I really hope a stud 6 foot + speedy WR is available.  We need a guy who can beat anyone on the other side of the LOS.  He can't be a slot guy, but someone who can take the top off the defense.  Don't want Boutte from LSU. The guy I really want is Jaxon Smith Njigba from OSU.  Forget his 2022 stats as he's been hurt but in 2021, he produced best stats in Big 10 history.  He's 6'1" and is a true intermediate/deep threat with great soft hands.

One DL I really, really like is Mazi Smith from Michigan.  He's a NT/DT type so perfect to rotate in with Lawrence and Williams.  Think a much more athletic version of Jordan Davis from UGA.  He's 6'3" 337 pounds.  He benchs 325 pounds, NOT 225 pounds and does 22 reps of 325 pounds.  Has a 44 inch vertical leap.

nb587

Quote from: Philosophers on November 19, 2022, 05:52:42 PMI want best player, however, I really hope a stud 6 foot + speedy WR is available.  We need a guy who can beat anyone on the other side of the LOS.  He can't be a slot guy, but someone who can take the top off the defense.  Don't want Boutte from LSU. The guy I really want is Jaxon Smith Njigba from OSU.  Forget his 2022 stats as he's been hurt but in 2021, he produced best stats in Big 10 history.  He's 6'1" and is a true intermediate/deep threat with great soft hands.

One DL I really, really like is Mazi Smith from Michigan.  He's a NT/DT type so perfect to rotate in with Lawrence and Williams.  Think a much more athletic version of Jordan Davis from UGA.  He's 6'3" 337 pounds.  He benchs 325 pounds, NOT 225 pounds and does 22 reps of 325 pounds.  Has a 44 inch vertical leap.
If Smith is a more athletic version of Jordan Davis, if everything I've read about Davis is true, Smith will be a top 5 pick.

To the statement above that the failed Toney pick makes you reluctant to draft a WR with the 1st pick, what does one have to do with the other? 

Philosophers

Quote from: nb587 on November 19, 2022, 07:41:35 PMIf Smith is a more athletic version of Jordan Davis, if everything I've read about Davis is true, Smith will be a top 5 pick.

To the statement above that the failed Toney pick makes you reluctant to draft a WR with the 1st pick, what does one have to do with the other? 

I never said what you attributed to me. I'd draft a WR with round 1 pick.

Mazi Smith is making everyone's life easier on Michigan D.  His stats dont pop but he will be a 1st round pick.

nb587

Quote from: Philosophers on November 19, 2022, 09:03:17 PMI never said what you attributed to me. I'd draft a WR with round 1 pick.

Mazi Smith is making everyone's life easier on Michigan D.  His stats dont pop but he will be a 1st round pick.
wasn't referring to you post regarding Toney.  Was referring to the post above yours.

Jclayton92

Only 3 1st rd Wrs worth drafting this year Nijgba, Johnston, and Addison so doubt we get one in the 1st. This Drafts 1st rd will he big on Dline, Tackles, and Corners.

nb587

I may be wrong about this but with the failure rate of 1st round WR picks, I would look closer in the 2nd round for a WR.  I don't know the numbers but there seem to be an awful lot of really good ones taken in round 2.  Either way, I am very opposed to signing a free agent WR at the compensation these guys want; much prefer someone at the rookie rate.

Bob In PA

Bob: Great idea for a poll!!!  I'm no fan of Ohio State, as you might imagine, but...

I hope they win the NCAA Championship this year so Marvin Harrison, Jr., leaves school and becomes a Giant.

I voted for WR.

Bob

PS. Harrison is from Philadelphia and the Eagles will do all they can to get him, whenever he comes out.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

UncannyGfan

Quote from: nb587 on November 19, 2022, 07:41:35 PMIf Smith is a more athletic version of Jordan Davis, if everything I've read about Davis is true, Smith will be a top 5 pick.

I think by the bottom third of the 1st round true #1 WR types have been selected (along with QBs, Edge, OT, and likely CBs) but there will likely be an option for the very best or nearly best IDL, IOL, ILB.  I think since the team has done well in 2022 by addressing other glaring issues (Edge, ORT, RB & QB health) and zero help from Toney that they can go into 2023 with a weakness in WR or attempt to address it later in the draft and instead continue to improve other position groups with their #1 selection.  The Giants passed over some good OL and DL players when they chose Toney.  I still have WR as a position group to consider, just if all other factors are evenly weighted, I had it as a lesser priority than the other 4 groups. 

Looking down the road, i don't think they can afford to sign Thomas and have a very expensive CB.  So if they choose WR now, that's one less opportunity to replace Jackson's production.  The offense might end up being very good but what does the defense look like without Jackson type of ability?  It's a similar situation at DT where Lawrence is going to be expensive but paid for by the expiring Williams contract but who will play next to him?  The team has found a balance this year between offense and defense that I'd like them to sustain into the future. 

If they go offense with their number 1, i think an IOL (whom could play OT in a pinch) complements the team better than a WR. While a WR could take pressure off of Barkley & Jones pre-snap, the IOL pass blocking can't sustain play action.  An upgrade at IOL will also help in the running game.  The team didn't succeed with OBJ and Barkley playing at the same time.  Even though OBJ was post-injury he was still at that point a true #1 WR.  As long as there remains a glaring problem on the OL, i think that position group should be a higher priority if all else is equal.         

nb587

Quote from: UncannyGfan on November 20, 2022, 09:22:21 AMI think by the bottom third of the 1st round true #1 WR types have been selected (along with QBs, Edge, OT, and likely CBs) but there will likely be an option for the very best or nearly best IDL, IOL, ILB.  I think since the team has done well in 2022 by addressing other glaring issues (Edge, ORT, RB & QB health) and zero help from Toney that they can go into 2023 with a weakness in WR or attempt to address it later in the draft and instead continue to improve other position groups with their #1 selection.  The Giants passed over some good OL and DL players when they chose Toney.  I still have WR as a position group to consider, just if all other factors are evenly weighted, I had it as a lesser priority than the other 4 groups. 

Looking down the road, i don't think they can afford to sign Thomas and have a very expensive CB.  So if they choose WR now, that's one less opportunity to replace Jackson's production.  The offense might end up being very good but what does the defense look like without Jackson type of ability?  It's a similar situation at DT where Lawrence is going to be expensive but paid for by the expiring Williams contract but who will play next to him?  The team has found a balance this year between offense and defense that I'd like them to sustain into the future. 

If they go offense with their number 1, i think an IOL (whom could play OT in a pinch) complements the team better than a WR. While a WR could take pressure off of Barkley & Jones pre-snap, the IOL pass blocking can't sustain play action.  An upgrade at IOL will also help in the running game.  The team didn't succeed with OBJ and Barkley playing at the same time.  Even though OBJ was post-injury he was still at that point a true #1 WR.  As long as there remains a glaring problem on the OL, i think that position group should be a higher priority if all else is equal.         

nb587

Sorry.  I misunderstood what you were saying about Toney and the need for WRs. I think WR is a huge need but as I mentioned, I would prefer not taking one in the 1st round unless the value is crystal clear.  I'm of a mind that regardless of how far the team goes this, or how deep in the playoffs, there are still lots of needs on the team that need to be addressed. Some have been bad luck like injuries but the coaching staff has done a great job of covering up for the deficiencies.  I wouldn't plan on that happening into the future. Two points, first depending on how management views Jones will play a huge role in who gets drafted early.  Second, to your statement about the IOL, I would always draft an OL at some point in the draft even if the unit were strong.  But, I think we'll know a lot more when we see Lemioux play and Gates.  They plus Ezeudu and/Bredeson might fill the bill without the need for a high draft choice plus long term, would help with the CAP. 

Rambo89

This is going to be mainly driven by the decision they make on the QB position.  If they're bringing back Daniel Jones I would expect it to be a play making WR if available.  If they decide to move on from Jones I expect a trade up to a spot where they can land that QB they love.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Fast Eddie Felson

Quote from: Philosophers on November 19, 2022, 05:52:42 PMI want best player, however, I really hope a stud 6 foot + speedy WR is available.  We need a guy who can beat anyone on the other side of the LOS.  He can't be a slot guy, but someone who can take the top off the defense.  Don't want Boutte from LSU. The guy I really want is Jaxon Smith Njigba from OSU.  Forget his 2022 stats as he's been hurt but in 2021, he produced best stats in Big 10 history.  He's 6'1" and is a true intermediate/deep threat with great soft hands.

That is an impressive bench stat.

Jolly Blue Giant

Personally, I'd like the Giants to get a high-end WR...but, that's just me as a fan

Last year, I watched Schoen piece together a draft that forever put to bed the long ending discussion about "Best Player Available" vs. "Need". In the first round, our biggest needs were ER and RT and lucky for us, it was also BPA since we were drafting top of the chart

If you look how he worked the rest of the draft, it was all about getting more draft picks and systematically taking players at positions of need. Since there were so many holes, he needed the extra draft picks

IMO, he will continue to go after players that fit a position of need. There will be dozens of charts on the internet claiming what the biggest needs are for the Giants that will not coincide with what the Giants' staff thinks are needs. The coaches work on the finest of details within their group and know where we are weak. Furthermore, Schoen's hidden army have lists of players at positions that are graded far differently than the hundreds of mock drafts and player values. Hence, last year I was shocked when we went with Ezuedu, then Flott, then Bellinger, etc. Never even heard of Ezuedu or Flott and Bellinger seemed like a late round flyer. After celebrating round one and thinking this is the best draft ever, I started wondering if our new administration had a clue about what they were doing. Especially after picking Robinson when we already had Toney and Shepard for our smurf receivers. And EZ and Flott were major WTF moments for me. In short, I now understand how Schoen operates. He has a list of positions of need and his board that evaluates players isn't like the boards on Walter Football, CBS Sports, The Draft Wire, etc.

With all that said, I think it is impossible to discern where we will go on draft day. What I believe is that the coaches know precisely the areas in which we are most vulnerable, and they will use their unique player evaluation lists to surprise us. It wouldn't surprise me if we traded down for more picks or used one or two of our excess picks to move up. I believe us fans are in excellent hands with the new administration and coaching staff. A lot can change at the end of the season if other teams start poaching our coaches - especially our OC and/or DC. New coaches mean new schemes and the whole dynamic driving our draft choices changes

Anyway, I suspect WR, IOL, and CB to be pretty high on our "needs list" and that we could go in that direction. On the other hand, with the first round pick, there might be a stud player that is just too good to pass on even though we are already fairly set in that position

From the fan's seat, I hope we get a couple of good WRs in this draft. A shutdown corner and a dancing bear mauler lineman would also be nice
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: