News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants strengths and weaknesses vs the Vikings?

Started by afan56, January 10, 2023, 08:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afan56

What do you see in this regard? Maybe we can pressure their QB but may be weak against the pass?

MightyGiants

With Mckinney back and hopefully Jackson, I think the Giants can have better pass coverage than last time.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

katkavage

Giants have a better defense. They are better coached. The running backs are comparable. The QBs, also close. The Vikings have a great receiver. The Giants have good ones. And the Giants have a good OL. Looking at it all and even taking in the home field, the Giants should win.

Trench

Vikings have the crowd. That's also a big one.

I just hope the referees aren't the show. Let them play

Ed Vette

Bob,

Here is a good recap of the last game which the Vikings won by a last minute FG. Cutting down on the mistakes, executing big plays and the solidifying of the secondary may somewhat offset the home field advantage. It should be a good battle and another close game.

https://www.giants.com/news/nfl-week-16-recap-playoff-scenarios-minnesota-vikings-greg-joseph
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

afan56

I feel like we'll win because we're healthier and shouldn't have those huge errors of the last time .

Jclayton92

A Giant strength is that Kirk Cousins isn't that great unless he plays a 1:00pm this year.

1:00PM Games this season:

67.21CMP% 288YPG 21TDs 6INT 99.4% Rating and a 10-1 record.

Any other time this season:

64.61CMP% 230YPG 8TDs 8INT 80.75% Rating and a 3-3 record.

Per 33rd Team

goNets

Watching the tail end of the 4th quarter I was really surprised by the Vikings play calling. There were a number of high risk low reward passes when they should have been running the ball.

kartanoman

The Giants' defense learned quite a bit during the Christmas Eve matchup and, in addition to getting pressure on Cousins, and keeping Jefferson and Thielen in front of the secondary, they're going to have to find a way to take out Hockinson who killed them in the last matchup. To do that, they may have to compromise on the running game, and let Cook contribute more in order to minimize the impact of Cousins' targets. Also, with the Vikings hurting on the O-Line, the Giants' D will have to be smart with pressuring Cousins and not leave themselves open for big plays.

The Giants' offense may need to try a few wrinkles to minimize the effect of the adjustments the Vikings' defense will make. I wouldn't suggest their defense is vulnerable, by any measure, but the one obvious tactic they excel in is stripping the ball away to create turnovers. They also have some hard hitters which can cause turnovers and I agree that this needs to be the #1 priority fir the Giants.

I am very concerned about the punting game right now. The fears I had with going with Gillan are coming true and, between punting and holding for FG/XP, there have been far too many Keystone Kops situations he has created on the field. It's too late to do anything about it now, but I will have the worry beads banging together whenever he trots out onto the field.

I can easily see this game going into OT, as a repeat of the last contest, except it will be Gano who will have the final word, this time.

Should be a great game!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)