News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do they practice outside at night ever?

Started by afan56, January 18, 2023, 06:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afan56

Does it make sense to do some practice under the same expected conditions or do the players ignore such things once the game begins?

kartanoman

That's a darned good question.

Given the advanced practice facilities the NFL teams work in today, I suspect they could, if they wanted to, or mimic some of the effects of an evening game, but it's more likely that these are professionals, who know how to play at day, night, heat, cold, elements, grass, artificial turf, domed stadia, etc. and it is the staff who manage the weekly schedule, leading up to a night game, who mitigate any significant variance that might impact their readiness and overall performance.

It would be good if anyone here, who has coached in sport, or even was a referee, provide their own experience.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

miss86

Hopefully the weather will be OK. Looks like around 30 degrees no rain.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: miss86 on January 18, 2023, 08:26:43 PMHopefully the weather will be OK. Looks like around 30 degrees no rain.

Would a cold sloppy field hurt the Giants more or the Eagles?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jaime

Parcells would have practice outside if the weather was similar where the game was being played.
Recall an article quoted Parcells as saying "We're going outside today fellas".

Methinks practicing outside this time of year, you are asking for trouble with the likely hood of muscle pulls.

TDToomer

Quote from: Jaime on January 20, 2023, 01:38:56 AMParcells would have practice outside if the weather was similar where the game was being played.
Recall an article quoted Parcells as saying "We're going outside today fellas".

Methinks practicing outside this time of year, you are asking for trouble with the likely hood of muscle pulls.

Why would it be more likely now than back in the 80's? How many players did Parcells lose by practicing outside in the cold? Hell it's been like April this January.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs