News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do you want the Giants to do with Barkley?

Started by MightyGiants, March 09, 2023, 10:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Do you them to sign Barkley to say a three-year deal or would you rather they leave him on the tag?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

3 year deal with a potential out after year 2 in my view.

3 yr(s) / $35,000,000
Guaranteed: $20,000,000
Signing bonus: $12,000,000

Effective Cap hit for the coming season something between 6-8mm.

Something along these lines.

jimv

EDjohnst1981

Jclayton92

Let him go. Our line was really good with the run this past season and this FA market and Draft have a ton of RBs, get a cheap one in FA and a cheap one in the draft and go to work. Most really good teams in the NFL don't have elite backs, they have a committee of cheap backs.

coggs

Ideally, someone else signs him to a deal and the Giants take the two 1st round picks as compensation.  Since I think the odds of that happening are the same as me hitting mega millions and powerball in the same week and then getting struck by lightning on the day I am supposed to collect the money, might as well forget the thought. 

As I said yesterday, I offer him something lower than an average of $10MM per year he will get on the franchise tag, but more guaranteed money.  Something along the lines of $24MM over 3 years, with $16MM guaranteed.  EX, $6MM signing bonus, $5MM in guaranteed salary each of the next 2 years. $10MM non-guaranteed salary in year 3.  Would cause cap hits of $7MM in each of 2023, and 2024.  $12MM in 2025, but only a $2MM cap hit if you release him prior to 2025.  Would also be willing to up the guaranteed salary for 2024 and lower the non-guaranteed salary for 2025.

Do I think he would accept it?  Probably not.  He can take the $10MM guarantee of the franchise tag this season and has to think he can do better if he is a FA next season.  I am just not a fan of paying RB's big money.  Would rather have a committee approach with 2-3 guys making $3-4MM each. I think they can get 2 good years out of him, anything longer is too risky with a RB.

Ed Vette

My guess is he's looking for a 4-5 year deal in his prime.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Exactly what they did....Tag him, look for his replacement this year and reevaluate this offseason.  I thought the Giants handled this very well!   

coggs

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 09, 2023, 10:23:18 AMMy guess is he's looking for a 4-5 year deal in his prime.
I would think so, but I certainly dont want Schoen to give it to him.  Let another GM do something dumb and give him 4-5 years.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'd like the Giants to lock him up for the next three years. He brings so much more to the table than just running and catching the football. Defenses have to change their game plan based strictly on stopping him. When Matt Breida or Gary Brightwell come in and do pretty well, it's because the minute Saquon comes off the field, the defense changes their setup and no longer strategizes against Barkley. Coaches know that Saquon does more than simply run or catch a football. Just having him in the game changes everything for defenses
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

coggs

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 09, 2023, 10:34:27 AMI'd like the Giants to lock him up for the next three years. He brings so much more to the table than just running and catching the football. Defenses have to change their game plan based strictly on stopping him. When Matt Breida or Gary Brightwell come in and do pretty well, it's because the minute Saquon comes off the field, the defense changes their setup and no longer strategizes against Barkley. Coaches know that Saquon does more than simply run or catch a football. Just having him in the game changes everything for defenses
What else does he do besides run or catch a football?  Not as if he is a good blocker and he is not that good catching balls out of the backfield.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 09, 2023, 10:34:27 AMI'd like the Giants to lock him up for the next three years. He brings so much more to the table than just running and catching the football. Defenses have to change their game plan based strictly on stopping him. When Matt Breida or Gary Brightwell come in and do pretty well, it's because the minute Saquon comes off the field, the defense changes their setup and no longer strategizes against Barkley. Coaches know that Saquon does more than simply run or catch a football. Just having him in the game changes everything for defenses

100%.

We have a top 4 player at his position.  Howany of those do we have on the Giants?  We should remind ourselves of that and use him to maximize his talent.

Philosophers

Quote from: coggs on March 09, 2023, 10:51:11 AMWhat else does he do besides run or catch a football?  Not as if he is a good blocker and he is not that good catching balls out of the backfield.

He catches balls fine.  What makes you think that?

TONKA56

Quote from: coggs on March 09, 2023, 10:51:11 AMWhat else does he do besides run or catch a football?  Not as if he is a good blocker and he is not that good catching balls out of the backfield.

How many times does he need to demonstrate his improved blocking before he shakes that label?

coggs

Quote from: TONKA56 on March 09, 2023, 10:53:51 AMHow many times does he need to demonstrate his improved blocking before he shakes that label?
"improved" =/= "good"