News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bad news for Barkley

Started by madbadger, June 08, 2023, 10:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 08, 2023, 01:03:10 PMThey were both found either not guilty or not charged a court of law.

No one's perfect, everyone has flaws, and every football player too. I don't want random people passing judgement on me, so I won't pass judgement on them and just focus on the football aspect.

I agree with this take.

I can think the person is a PoS but I fully respect their right to be presumed innocent and seek gainful employment.

The holier than thou stick doesn't really wash when the vast majority of this fan base loves Lawrence Taylor.

MightyGiants

Interesting, this was Tweeted last night.  Presumably it was made with Barkley's blessing and cooperation and has him working out with his Giants helmet on

https://twitter.com/MarquisPick_/status/1666582104602181634

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on June 08, 2023, 01:16:56 PMI agree with this take.

I can think the person is a PoS but I fully respect their right to be presumed innocent and seek gainful employment.

The holier than thou stick doesn't really wash when the vast majority of this fan base loves Lawrence Taylor.

Just to be clear and speak for myself: I feel the same way. My point was more that I don't think Mara would sign off.

Philosophers

The Giants dint have to play hardball.  Why do folks here think that?  He'll sign the tag or they will sign a new deal.  You dont have to get rid of a Pro Bowl back just because Vikings will release Cook.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on June 08, 2023, 01:43:05 PMThe Giants dint have to play hardball.  Why do folks here think that?  He'll sign the tag or they will sign a new deal.  You dont have to get rid of a Pro Bowl back just because Vikings will release Cook.
My take was more based on Getting picks for Barkley and signing cook at a reduced rate being a win/win for the Org. Keeps you from doing longterm 2nd contract for any RB.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on June 08, 2023, 01:43:05 PMThe Giants dint have to play hardball.  Why do folks here think that?  He'll sign the tag or they will sign a new deal.  You dont have to get rid of a Pro Bowl back just because Vikings will release Cook.

Sadly the Giants would be unwise to give Barkley what he wants.   As this thread mentions, the Vikings are cutting the guy they had signed to a long-term deal off his rookie contract.   The NFL is littered with RBs that were signed off their rookie contracts that the team wishes they hadn't signed.

It's funny you mentioned "Pro Bowl."   Cooks is a year older but has twice as many Pro Bowl awards than Barkley (4 vs 2)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 08, 2023, 01:03:10 PMThey were both found either not guilty or not charged in a court of law.

No one's perfect, everyone has flaws, and every football player too. I don't want random people passing judgement on me, so I won't pass judgement on them and just focus on the football aspect.

That's not the way the NFL works. Cole Beasley wasn't accused of breaking any laws either and yet his career became radioactive when he refused the COVID vaccine. If you own a multibillion dollar franchise you have to take off field issues into account when deciding to sign a player both Hunt and Cook have had issues beyond tue domestic abuse accusations. There is no shot that Mara will walk away from a squeaky clean Barkley for either man.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 08, 2023, 02:15:11 PMSadly the Giants would be unwise to give Barkley what he wants.   As this thread mentions, the Vikings are cutting the guy they had signed to a long-term deal off his rookie contract.   The NFL is littered with RBs that were signed off their rookie contracts that the team wishes they hadn't signed.

It's funny you mentioned "Pro Bowl."   Cooks is a year older but has twice as many Pro Bowl awards than Barkley (4 vs 2)

And they are eating over $8 million in dead money to boot, presumably spread over 2 years (can a guy cut after June 1 be designated a pre-June 1 cut to get the pain over with? not that the Vikes would do that).  I don't want the Giants to be in anything like that position a year down the road.  It will be interesting to see who signs Cook and for how much.  If he signs for less than the tag amount, why should the Giants keep their latest offer on the table, rather than withdrawing it and making it the tag or nothing?  The market, not the player or his agent, sets player values, and Cook has been better than Barkley in terms of avail-ability and roughly comparable in production.  Cook is a pretty fair comparable to Barkley.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

I will say this, not signing the tag or accepting an offer has issues for both sides.   Barkley has to hope that Cooks' asking price is less than the tag because if it is, the Giants would be foolish to keep waiting for a guy who might or might not sign his tag (or accept a reasonable offer) in a timely manner.  The Giants need to do all they can to ensure a successful season, not worry about maximizing the happiness of a single player or helping an agent save face.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I mean say cook wants 2 yr 13.5 million which is basically on par with the 4yr 25 sanders got... why wouldn't the Giants jump on that. 13.5+ is what Barkley wants a year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 08, 2023, 03:55:32 PMI will say this, not signing the tag or accepting an offer has issues for both sides.  Barkley has to hope that Cooks' asking price is less than the tag because if it is, the Giants would be foolish to keep waiting for a guy who might or might not sign his tag (or accept a reasonable offer) in a timely manner.  The Giants need to do all they can to ensure a successful season, not worry about maximizing the happiness of a single player or helping an agent save face.

Agreed.

It seems like Barkley and his agent are putting a lot of faith in the notion that the Giants "can't afford to lose him", and that ultimately they'll be the ones to blink.

Fletch

It's like comparing apples to oranges . The exception is they have RB after their names. Vikings are setting up the run with a top 10 qb passing as the main threat. You give delvin cook a hole to run through with the defense guessing pass , and he'll run fast through it.

Not the same thing at all w Bark. He's playing on a run first team ; a dynamic big play creator and pretty much the best player on the giants and the main reason they were a playoff team last year

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 08, 2023, 02:15:11 PMSadly the Giants would be unwise to give Barkley what he wants.   As this thread mentions, the Vikings are cutting the guy they had signed to a long-term deal off his rookie contract.   The NFL is littered with RBs that were signed off their rookie contracts that the team wishes they hadn't signed.

Rich - Dalvin Cook was arrested 6 years ago and charged with firing and possessing a weapon.  He and some former girlfriend were in a domestic violence incident.  This guy is not the type of guy the Giants covet from a background perspective.  Barkley is, plus he brings continuity to the team and proven leadership.  If he has less Pro Bowls than Cook, it's only because he was injured those 2 years.

I really believe fans are focused only on the comp numbers and comparing him to other RBs but I believe the Giants are valuing these intangibles more which is why they are not casting him aside and looking for someone else to fill his shoes. 

jerseyguy

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 08, 2023, 10:55:21 AMI think the problem is Barkley's agent.  I don't see how the issue gets resolved fairly without her looking bad.
not trying to be chauvinistic about this, she is in charge of negotiations and she wants her cut to come from a large amount of bucks

y_so_blu

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 08, 2023, 10:55:21 AMI think the problem is Barkley's agent.  I don't see how the issue gets resolved fairly without her looking bad.
I believe Barkley would be better off letting her go for that very reason. She has fumbled this one big time, unfortunately.