News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The state of the running back position and teams not wanting to pay them

Started by shadowspinner0, July 17, 2023, 05:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowspinner0

QuoteVeteran RBs this offseason:

Took paycut: Joe Mixon, Aaron Jones

Cut: Ezekiel Elliott, Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette

Tagged, but no deal: Saquon Barkley, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard.

Wanted new deal and asked for trade: Austin Ekeler

Has been a FA all offseason: Kareem Hunt
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1681034556831309824

Slugsy-Narrows

The Giants have options! 

They gave a very fair if not over priced offer to SB!  He and his team wanted more!

Sign a FA or 2 and pull the tag!  This relationship is dead! 

Threatening not to play week 1 vs a division rival!  You are now a detriment to the organization!

Bye bye Felicia!

Next man up!

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on July 17, 2023, 05:39:41 PMThe Giants have options! 

They gave a very fair if not over priced offer to SB!  He and his team wanted more!

Sign a FA or 2 and pull the tag!  This relationship is dead! 

Threatening not to play week 1 vs a division rival!  You are now a detriment to the organization!

Bye bye Felicia!

Next man up!

I'm onboard with pulling the tag, knowing that Schoen is a competent GM and is not going to panic overpay someone else.

1-year, $9 million to Cook or 1-year, $6 million to Fournette. Whoever signs first.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Stringer Bell on July 17, 2023, 05:43:20 PMI'm onboard with pulling the tag, knowing that Schoen is a competent GM and is not going to panic overpay someone else.

1-year, $9 million to Cook or 1-year, $6 million to Fournette. Whoever signs first.

Sounds reasonable to me!

Philosophers

I say look to Eric Gray and say, "next man up" if Barkley holds out.

jimc

Quote from: Philosophers on July 18, 2023, 12:55:47 AMI say look to Eric Gray and say, "next man up" if Barkley holds out.

I think I'm in agreement here. If SB sits out any length of time, pull the tag and go with the running backs you have on board. The only deviation is if you can somehow trade SB.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

jerseyguy

there might be a decent market for Barkley right now so I say trade him because the market for RBs drop quickly and next year he won't be worth nearly as much

Ed Vette

What team would pay Barkley $10mm and give up a draft pick for a one-year rental?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 18, 2023, 10:30:10 AMWhat team would pay Barkley $10mm and give up a draft pick for a one-year rental?

I guess only a team that would love the opportunity to sign him to a 3 year deal with a $25mm guarantee so much that they're willing to part with draft capital for that opportunity.

Not sure who that would be. Normally you turn to teams like the Raiders to do things like this, but they clearly don't want their guy that badly, and he led the league in rushing.

AYM

Quote from: jerseyguy on July 18, 2023, 09:54:03 AMthere might be a decent market for Barkley right now so I say trade him because the market for RBs drop quickly and next year he won't be worth nearly as much

I don't think there's any market for Barkley whatsoever. If I were a GM that wanted a "star RB", I have my pick of Dalvin Cook, Ezekiel Elliott, Kareem Hunt, or Leonard Fournette. All 4 of those guys are still out on the street at the time of this post.

He screwed up not taking the deal he was offered at the bye, and probably should've just taken the deal Schoen had on the table at 3:59 PM yesterday.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 18, 2023, 10:39:47 AMI guess only a team that would love the opportunity to sign him to a 3 year deal with a $25mm guarantee so much that they're willing to part with draft capital for that opportunity.

Not sure who that would be. Normally you turn to teams like the Raiders to do things like this, but they clearly don't want their guy that badly, and he led the league in rushing.
It's a risk that they can't sign him. He's demonstrated his stubbornness in collaborative negotiations. Quite frankly, in my opinion, I don't see his value or the rest of the bunch being more than $8.0 MM. It will get interesting right before the trade deadline with playoff teams looking for that one piece to get them over the top. Didn't work out with SF for CMC. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on July 18, 2023, 10:49:11 AMI don't think there's any market for Barkley whatsoever. If I were a GM that wanted a "star RB", I have my pick of Dalvin Cook, Ezekiel Elliott, Kareem Hunt, or Leonard Fournette. All 4 of those guys are still out on the street at the time of this post.

He screwed up not taking the deal he was offered at the bye, and probably should've just taken the deal Schoen had on the table at 3:59 PM yesterday.

I broadly agree, although to be totally fair, Barkley is materially better than at least three of the above (I think he is marginally better than Cook).

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 18, 2023, 10:30:10 AMWhat team would pay Barkley $10mm and give up a draft pick for a one-year rental?

Judging by Dalvin Cook's situation I'm not sure any team would pay him $10 million as a pure free agent.  If you're a team looking for a RB which would you prefer?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 18, 2023, 12:13:10 PMJudging by Dalvin Cook's situation I'm not sure any team would pay him $10 million as a pure free agent.  If you're a team looking for a RB which would you prefer?

We need to see what Cook gets, but I agree.

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building