News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants 2022 - draft class

Started by Leek21, August 04, 2023, 09:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leek21

Thibodeaux - starter
Neal - starter
Robinson - On the team, injured, expected to contribute
Ezeudu - Competing for starting spot
Flott - Competing for starting spot
Bellinger - Solid #2 TE
Belton - Backup safety
McFadden - Backup MLBer, competing for starting spot
DJ Davidson - back up
McKethan - Injured, but still on team.
Beavers - Competing for starting spot

What do you guys think of these year 2 players ?  Pretty good draft by Schoen and team ?

PSUBeirut

At this still very early point I'd say this is a fairly average draft.  Top ten picks should be starters and the others that are competing is very average at the spots they were drafted.  ie, it's not hard to find TE2s, backup safeties, etc. in rounds 4+.  I'm actually more excited about this year's draft because I really liked some of the values Schoen got.

My only real beef with the 2022 class is I'm still confused why we want Wandale (who was not a round 2 grade in most places if I remember right) with George Pickens sitting there...With Golladay clearly being a bust, IMO, Pickens would have been the better long-term fit. 

DaveBrown74

I would agree pretty much across the board with PSU. I loved our two early first round picks last year, but the jury is still out. I am very bullish on both, but we haven't seen them play like top 7 picks yet (Thibodeaux did in a few games late last year).

Wan'Dale was a top 50 pick and I wanted Pickens. He showed flashes when he did play, but you worry about durability with him. If he ends up just being a solid but unspectacular slot guy and Pickens turns into the next AJ Green, that pick will kind of sting.

Loved the Bellinger pick. I think he's good enough to be a starting TE in this league, and potentially an above league average starter.

As for the others - jury is still out. If Beavers ends up doing a solid job as a starter this year, then that's a superb pick where we got him. Ezeudu and Flott I just don't know yet. Belton and McFadden seem unlikely to be starting caliber players although I can't say that for sure, and they seem like they're good enough to be depth guys. McKeethan no clue. Davidson is at best depth.

Overall I think it was a good draft but I need confirmation on the field before I declare it that definitively.

Philosophers

With evrrything a new regime has to do to put a management staff and coaching staff together in the offseason, I will give them more of a pass with their first draft as have other things to get organized before the draft.  Look at how this year they could focus entirely on the draft.  Continuity among management and coaching staffs plus now more established working relationship in year 2.

True Blue

Quote from: PSUBeirut on August 04, 2023, 10:10:47 AMAt this still very early point I'd say this is a fairly average draft.  Top ten picks should be starters and the others that are competing is very average at the spots they were drafted.  ie, it's not hard to find TE2s, backup safeties, etc. in rounds 4+.  I'm actually more excited about this year's draft because I really liked some of the values Schoen got.

My only real beef with the 2022 class is I'm still confused why we want Wandale (who was not a round 2 grade in most places if I remember right) with George Pickens sitting there...With Golladay clearly being a bust, IMO, Pickens would have been the better long-term fit. 

I wanted Pickens as well, maybe they made a mistake down the line. But they clearly felt Wandale is a better fit and had a Round 2 grade on him. He started playing well his last few games, hopefully he gets healthy and makes the pick more justified.

beaugestus

If you think about it, with the injury history of Sheperd I can understand why they selected him in the second round.

todge

Quote from: True Blue on August 04, 2023, 12:46:55 PMI wanted Pickens as well, maybe they made a mistake down the line. But they clearly felt Wandale is a better fit and had a Round 2 grade on him. He started playing well his last few games, hopefully he gets healthy and makes the pick more justified.
Let's also remember Schoen admitted to
"reaching a little for a player or two". One was Robinson whom carried 3rd Round + grades. Clearly a need pick those players have a way of coming back to haunt you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

I don't like the WDR pick. Too small.

I feel bad for McKethan. I was looking for him to complete at RG and he's lost two years of development.

McFadden looked good in camp after a poor rookie season. Beavers had the edge early in but lost it. He also lost a full season of development.

Belton has potential. Davidson meh.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

fromthebside

The "slotted" positions and where players are graded can be very tricky.  I say this all the time: unless you were at the combine, at their pro days, at their personal meetings/zoom calls, talked to their coaches, and, most importantly, in the draft war rooms, we have no idea where a player was graded by the teams.  Teams can have players graded all over the place.  Schoen may have had Robinson graded in the late 2nd or early 3rd.  Other teams may have had him in the 4th or later, possibly UDFA.  Was he a reach?  Who knows?  And that goes for any other player drafted, outside of the obvious "needle movers".

RelaxTension

This draft will be judged with how well the top 4 picks end up developing.
Only Bellinger played up to the 4th round pick with Tibbs showing some promise but still needs to improve a lot for his draft slot.

Neal and Robinson were not close to good enough last season.

It's really premature at this point since most players do need a year or two to show case their skills at this level..
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Dgoodmantrublu

Bellinger out played his slot and not by a little bit.