News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Isaiah Simmons being traded to the New York Giants for a 2024 7th round pick

Started by drewsg, August 24, 2023, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Uni on August 24, 2023, 03:13:26 PMScraped this from the revengeofthebirds comments section:

2022 pass rush grade from PFF: 83.5. On 65 rushes, Simmons had 9 QB pressures and 4 sacks.

He could be our Parsons

Too far?
Your lips to...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 24, 2023, 04:04:51 PMYeah, that was a douche comment. I'm still optimistic about this trade because I trust Wink can utilize him and Daboll and the teammates all creative a positive environment. I think he can be an outstanding Gunner and if like Bobby Skinner said, they can find him a role to settle into, he's got the athleticism to thrive.

What I don't like hearing, Ric, is him not putting up effort. That's a character issue to me so let's see if he falls asleep between highlights.

He's the AZ near equivalent of Toney. The new regime didn't own him and owed him nothing and better off without a potential locker room cancer. The difference is that AZ had to wait four years until he had no market value and Schoen, did well in return and his conversion of the resources.

I share your concern, Ed. Just hoping that new teammates like Dex, Saquon, McKinney, Okereke, Leo, Thibs, Ward, etc. will rub off on him, and he'll get excited about what he can add to the group...and of course, Wink's subtle hand at bringing him around. A whole new environment surrounded by hyped up teammates may be just what the doctor ordered. Hopefully, he chums up with the right guys who inspire him to become a star rather than dragging others down in the locker room

Bottom line: ridiculously low risk with incredibly high reward if everything works out. I believe we have the staff that can turn this into the reward side of the spectrum
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

True Blue

I'm sure Schoen and Dabs/Wink all know enough of the situations at hand to have determined that the concerns were not gonna be detrimental to the team.

spiderblue43

As mentioned before,consider the source of his detractors. Simmons is really no risk/reward and has a far better environment to reach his top 10 potential with Wink.

Schoen has shown a very intelligent approach and proactiveness again.

GMenRF

If Simmons can be our Michael Boley with more athleticism and speed this season, the defense is going to be fun to watch.

Symphony Steve

Slightly, but not completely, OT.  Cards trade OL Josh Jones (75.8 PFF grade in 2022) and a 7th-rounder to Houston for a 5th rounder.  Two at-least serviceable players for lottery tickets.

Can you say 'tanking'?

4 Aces

How can you not be amped hearing he was the #1 player on Wink's board coming out of Clemson?

Wink's got a very unique scheme with a very specific skillset, and he's great at identifying players. He was projecting Simmons as a star player in his scheme.

Length and speed everywhere. Now they've got a 6'4" LB who can blitz, and run 4.3's. Another puzzle piece. The field starts to shrink when you're built this way.

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Let me just say this about this transaction:

Can you name a time during your Giants fanship where you can recall a lower cost transaction (ie less downside) that you were more excited about when it happened?

I've been a devoted fan since about 1983, certainly 1984. And I can't, personally.

Simmons may end up being an absolute non-event, bust. But we gave up literally nothing here. I don't like losing picks, but a 7th rounder is irrelevant. And so is $1m from a total cap perspective.

I love this trade.

spiderblue43

He (Simmons) reminds me of Jesse Armstead..not a typical positional type.. Armstead was all heart and effort and so underrated today.

AYM

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 24, 2023, 05:45:55 PMLet me just say this about this transaction:

Can you name a time during your Giants fanship where you can recall a lower cost transaction (ie less downside) that you were more excited about when it happened?

I've been a devoted fan since about 1983, certainly 1984. And I can't, personally.

Simmons may end up being an absolute non-event, bust. But we gave up literally nothing here. I don't like losing picks, but a 7th rounder is irrelevant. And so is $1m from a total cap perspective.

I love this trade.

Herman Moore (free agent) and Jon Beason (7th rounder) would be the only times I can think of - and neither move the needle as much as this move could.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on August 24, 2023, 06:11:40 PMHerman Moore (free agent) and Jon Beason (7th rounder) would be the only times I can think of - and neither move the needle as much as this move could.

Herman Moore was a terrific player, but wasn't he ancient when we got him? I remember really liking him, but I also remember not being that over the moon when we got him. If memory serves, he was one foot out the door to retirement when we got him.

Simmons is 25 and is an ascending player. To me that's black and white different.

drewsg

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 24, 2023, 05:45:55 PMLet me just say this about this transaction:

I love this trade.

Martellus Bennett

todge

Quote from: Symphony Steve on August 24, 2023, 11:46:25 AMWow.  The 'genius' ex-DC of the Iggles couldn't figure out a way to use him?

Don't know what the Cardinals are doing, but this makes no sense to me.  Especially with all the flotsam and jetsam on their roster. 

Sometimes, someone w/o a position can be someone w/several positions, based on circumstances.
Apparently he showed zero effort in tackling a Kansas City player at the goal line. The Cards gave him away and wanted no part of him. So
I would reserve judgment that the Giants got a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgoodmantrublu

Cardinals are just about the worst organization in the NFL right now.