News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do you expect from the 2023 Giants?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2023, 12:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

Quote from: LennG on September 02, 2023, 12:56:55 PMHi everyone. I took a break from football and this site for several months to sort of clear my head (among other things). But now, as the new season is approaching, it's time to get back to football and my Giants friends on BBH.

So what do people expect of the Giants for 2023?

Are we going to build on last year and maybe make a true run, deep into the playoffs?

Is this going to be a growing year, where we might take a step back before really moving up to a possible run at a championship?

Do we have enough talent to be a legitimate threat?

Myself, I expect good to better play from a team that seems more talented than last year's team, but I really feel many are expecting a bit too much from the Giants this year. I can see us taking a step back, learning, and then, with another good draft really making a run. I just do not see us as good as the Eagles right now. But, like past championship teams, they also took a step back before making a true run.

What do you think?

I know the feeling, My Dear Friend.

What I think is exactly what you think and is worth repeating: "..., I expect good to better play from a team that seems more talented than last year's team, but I really feel many are expecting a bit too much from the Giants this year. I can see us taking a step back, learning, and then, with another good draft really making a run. I just do not see us as good as the Eagles right now. But, like past championship teams, they also took a step back before making a true run.

That said, I do expect the team to be more aggressive, "big play orientated" and more exciting, win or lose.

Cheers!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Painter on September 03, 2023, 10:52:48 AMI know the feeling, My Dear Friend.

What I think is exactly what you think and is worth repeating: "..., I expect good to better play from a team that seems more talented than last year's team, but I really feel many are expecting a bit too much from the Giants this year. I can see us taking a step back, learning, and then, with another good draft really making a run. I just do not see us as good as the Eagles right now. But, like past championship teams, they also took a step back before making a true run.

That said, I do expect the team to be more aggressive, "big play orientated" and more exciting, win or lose.

Larry: Nice post.  I'd change just one word (the highlighted "orientated" to "capable").  My nuance is this:

IMO our D won't be good enough to win games alone. They'll need the O to hold the ball (not just score points).

The capability to threaten deep (hopefully now having been added) will loom larger than the reality, and it will IMO be utilized to achieve the goal of scoring on long drives as much as possible. That approach puts more of the burden on Saquon/run game and takes pressure off the defense by shortening the game. IMO rookie corner backs mean rookie mistakes. I think the area where the Giants are being the most overestimated right now is pass defense.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Thank you all for the kind words from so many friends.

I agree with Bob, I think our defense will improve but those 2 rookie CBs, and, in a division with good QBs, will make them work for their money. That was what I meant with a good years of experience and another good draft, I would be very disappointed if the Giants weren't ready to make a run.
As of now, we aren't as good as the Eagles. Are we as good as Dallas?--The first game may tell us that. Are we as good as SF?
What worries me is that we certainly won't sneak up on teams this year as we probably did last year. Teams will be ready for us and it's up to the coaching staff to make this season a go.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Painter

I take your point, Bob. But until they prove to be capable, and of that I am optimistic, I'll remain comfortable in describing it as orientated. In any case, it's not really a basis for debate.

Good luck to us all.

Cheers!

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

LennG

In yesterday's Newsday, one of the local guys predicted the Giants at 11-5. I don't see it, but hell, anything is possible.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Dgoodmantrublu

11-5 won't happen because there are 17 games, but I do predict 11-6. 😂

expatriot

9 wins.  Improved team, but harder schedule on paper.

Trench

Quote from: LennG on September 03, 2023, 11:58:37 AMThank you all for the kind words from so many friends.

I agree with Bob, I think our defense will improve but those 2 rookie CBs, and, in a division with good QBs, will make them work for their money. That was what I meant with a good years of experience and another good draft, I would be very disappointed if the Giants weren't ready to make a run.
As of now, we aren't as good as the Eagles. Are we as good as Dallas?--The first game may tell us that. Are we as good as SF?
What worries me is that we certainly won't sneak up on teams this year as we probably did last year. Teams will be ready for us and it's up to the coaching staff to make this season a go.

It seemed like yesterday SanFrancisco was having all sorts of problems. The NFL is a chance for quick turnaround let's hope we follow suit

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on September 04, 2023, 11:40:03 PMIt seemed like yesterday SanFrancisco was having all sorts of problems. The NFL is a chance for quick turnaround let's hope we follow suit

Very true. The Rams are another example of a team that stunk before McVay got there and was in the Super Bowl in a year or two after he arrived.

files58

I don't have expectations. I do know what I want to see. Football in it's purist form is a physical, high contact/impact game. On offense I want to see a physically overwhelming team. It's 3rd and 3, we are handing the ball to Barkley, he's running through the x hole, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. In other words The Lombardi Sweep attitude. On defense I want to see the Giants knock QB's out of the game. When the Giants are great they take QB's out. I would like to see Wink scheme situations where players have clear, running shots at QB's applying clean, within the rules hits. A wipe out defense. A team like that would have Met Life rocking. I was at the Springsteen concert Sunday night, and I looked around the stadium wondering why can't this place be like Seattle and the 12th man. Met Life needs to become inhospitable to the visitors. Giant football the way it's meant to be.

Rambo89

Hey there Lenn hope all is well with you.

I've felt that while the Giants are a better team on paper than they were a year ago that they will take a step back record wise as they continue to move forward in the Schoen/Daboll regime.  IMO they'll finish with 7-8 wins missing the playoffs with a more difficult schedule and maybe don't have the bounces they did last season.  In the big picture it wouldn't be a killer or something that would damage my confidence in this regime.  Sometimes with newer regimes you need to take a step back in order to take that next big step forward.

Should they finish with 9 or more wins I would be absolutely thrilled.  Only way I would be concerned is if the floor fell out from under them and they went back to being a 4-6 win team and if Jones missed a significant chunk of the season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jolly Blue Giant

As a homer, I have high expectations - period

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 05, 2023, 10:15:40 AMHey there Lenn hope all is well with you.

I've felt that while the Giants are a better team on paper than they were a year ago that they will take a step back record wise as they continue to move forward in the Schoen/Daboll regime.  IMO they'll finish with 7-8 wins missing the playoffs with a more difficult schedule and maybe don't have the bounces they did last season.  In the big picture it wouldn't be a killer or something that would damage my confidence in this regime.  Sometimes with newer regimes you need to take a step back in order to take that next big step forward.

Should they finish with 9 or more wins I would be absolutely thrilled.  Only way I would be concerned is if the floor fell out from under them and they went back to being a 4-6 win team and if Jones missed a significant chunk of the season.

Thank Rambo, and we still think alike.   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Charlie Weiss