News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Hyatt on DJ's work ethic

Started by MightyGiants, September 03, 2023, 05:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Blue

Quote from: todge on September 05, 2023, 12:51:48 PMSo last year's regular season doesn't count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you read the posts that came after?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2023, 10:57:55 AMJess,

I think there are questions, but I am not seeing "TONS" of questions as you suggested.  I think at the start of last season, there were "tons" of questions.  There has been progress, and I don't think there are near as many questions as they were in the past.

For me the tons of questions surrounding the passing game are external to Jones.  The majority of them are about the OL.  Will Neal improve.  Will JMS live up to his promise.  Will the Guards stabilize.  The others have to do with the receivers.  Will Waller stay healthy.  Will Shep stay healthy.  Will Hyatt live up to his promise. Lots of questions before I get to any regarding Jones.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 05, 2023, 01:08:14 PMFor me the tons of questions surrounding the passing game are external to Jones.  The majority of them are about the OL.  Will Neal improve.  Will JMS live up to his promise.  Will the Guards stabilize.  The others have to do with the receivers.  Will Waller stay healthy.  Will Shep stay healthy.  Will Hyatt live up to his promise. Lots of questions before I get to any regarding Jones.

I share your uncertainty with the O-line. That is the one area I still have serious concerns about.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: todge on September 05, 2023, 12:51:48 PMSo last year's regular season doesn't count?

It does count, but what was so good about it besides eliminating mistakes? Last years offense was extremely conservative, so none of us know until we see it and we haven't seen Jones have to win games with his arm consistently.

We are in year 5 and he's never thrown for 4,000 or more than 25tds, until he does absolutely there will be questions.

Jclayton92

We question every other player on this team constantly, whether it's Neal, Thibs, the secondary, Barkley, or whoever. So we've got to be ok questioning everyone or no one. If the Giants had no questions about Jones they would have given him 50+ so if it's ok for the organization to still have questions then why does everyone get so upset when fans or regular people still have questions. The kid has thrown for 2,000 yards twice and 3,000 and some change twice, we as an offense only threw more than 200 yards 6 times last season, so yes there are legitimate questions that can't be answered until we see them play.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 05, 2023, 02:08:06 PMWe question every other player on this team constantly, whether it's Neal, Thibs, the secondary, Barkley, or whoever. So we've got to be ok questioning everyone or no one. If the Giants had no questions about Jones they would have given him 50+ so if it's ok for the organization to still have questions then why does everyone get so upset when fans or regular people still have questions. The kid has thrown for 2,000 yards twice and 3,000 and some change twice, we as an offense only threw more than 200 yards 6 times last season, so yes there are legitimate questions that can't be answered until we see them play.

Jess,

Why would the Giants give Jones $50+ per season when Jones was willing to sign a contract for $40 million per (that can be increased with incentives)?   Would advantage would it provide the Giants to pay a player more than they were willing to accept?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 05, 2023, 02:08:06 PMWe question every other player on this team constantly, whether it's Neal, Thibs, the secondary, Barkley, or whoever. So we've got to be ok questioning everyone or no one. If the Giants had no questions about Jones they would have given him 50+ so if it's ok for the organization to still have questions then why does everyone get so upset when fans or regular people still have questions. The kid has thrown for 2,000 yards twice and 3,000 and some change twice, we as an offense only threw more than 200 yards 6 times last season, so yes there are legitimate questions that can't be answered until we see them play.

It's absolutely OK to question Jones. But it is also OK to question the questioners when they make points in isolation ignoring context.  Like (excessively, IMO) unfavorable comparisons with Hurt that ignore the fact that Hurt had a far better OLine protecting him and far more talented receivers to throw to.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2023, 02:10:43 PMJess,

Why would the Giants give Jones $50+ per season when Jones was willing to sign a contract for $40 million per (that can be increased with incentives)?   Would advantage would it provide the Giants to pay a player more than they were willing to accept?

He wouldn't have been so willing if he was putting up top 5-8 numbers.

Rambo89

The 3,200 yards passing and 15 passing TDs in 16 games absolutely count.....If they didn't there still wouldn't be questions about Jones being an top third QB in the league.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 05, 2023, 03:01:52 PMIt's absolutely OK to question Jones. But it is also OK to question the questioners when they make points in isolation ignoring context.  Like (excessively, IMO) unfavorable comparisons with Hurt that ignore the fact that Hurt had a far better OLine protecting him and far more talented receivers to throw to.
I agree, and I haven't bashed Jones if anything I was one of the only ones defending him from Fletch a few months back. I don't compare him to hurts as others have, they are two completely different Qbs imo but I see that some have. I think Jones has taken huge strides but there are still questions.

And thats all I was trying to say is that while Jones has improved drastically until we see it in a game we won't know and so yes there's a lot of questions about Jones and the offense as a whole. There's just no need to get upset about said questions.

Uni

Jones is to be commended for lowering the turnover number, but yards and points were meager and was no proof of anything other than Jones can limits turnovers while running a limited offense

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Dgoodmantrublu

And again why don't his rushing numbers count? By the advanced metric, he was probably around 12 because those metrics include his rushing yards. They were a big factor and should not be discounted. They aren't for guys like Lamar.

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 05, 2023, 04:10:48 PMThe 3,200 yards passing and 15 passing TDs in 16 games absolutely count.....If they didn't there still wouldn't be questions about Jones being an top third QB in the league.

Rambo89

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 05, 2023, 05:42:38 PMAnd again why don't his rushing numbers count? By the advanced metric, he was probably around 12 because those metrics include his rushing yards. They were a big factor and should not be discounted. They aren't for guys like Lamar.

Jones doesn't put up the rushing yardage that Lamar Jackson has put up. Heck in 4 fewer starts Jackson put up better rushing yards than Jones.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 05, 2023, 05:51:14 PMJones doesn't put up the rushing yardage that Lamar Jackson has put up. Heck in 4 fewer starts Jackson put up better rushing yards than Jones.

Are you suggesting that only the top rushing QB should get his rushing production counted?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

Jones was 5th in QB rushing yards and attempts. These plays matter and contribute to winning. It is ridiculous to just ignore it.