News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I didn't even know there was a practice squad IR

Started by MightyGiants, September 04, 2023, 05:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

DaveBrown74

@MightyGiants ,

I guess at this point in the game, if you're picking a receiver up off the street to just be on your practice squad, finding someone with a special skill set (like ST gunner) is probably the smart play. You have almost no chance of finding some overlooked diamond in the rough who is going to contribute meaningfully on offense.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 04, 2023, 07:15:59 PM@MightyGiants ,

I guess at this point in the game, if you're picking a receiver up off the street to just be on your practice squad, finding someone with a special skill set (like ST gunner) is probably the smart play. You have almost no chance of finding some overlooked diamond in the rough who is going to contribute meaningfully on offense.

I think you summed it up nicely
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

DaveBrown74

Moot point either way. Sills no longer wants to be part of our organization unless he's on the 53. He was already offered a spot on our PS, and he said no thanks.

Slugsy-Narrows

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on September 05, 2023, 08:41:06 AMSills is singed onto a PS he isn't available!

Sills is on another team's practice squad.  The Giants could sign Sills to their roster if they desired, and Sills agreed.   I think at this point, Sills feels if he has a future in the NFL, it's not with NYG.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2023, 08:48:36 AMSills is on another team's practice squad.  The Giants could sign Sills to their roster if they desired, and Sills agreed.   I think at this point, Sills feels if he has a future in the NFL, it's not with NYG.

Correct - my meaning was signing him just to the PS as that is what they signed this player to as there are not current roster spots.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 04, 2023, 06:20:52 PMLOL

I had to research this, as I had never heard of it before.  I see it was mentioned last season among the changes.  I guess it's not used that often as any moves from the PS injured list count toward your limit of 8 recalls from IR.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Head Coach Brian Daboll

September 5, 2023

Q: Can you explain the thinking behind, I'm not sure I've ever seen a practice squad guy go on IR, usually you just play one practice guy short, so what was the reason behind putting (wide receiver) Cole (Beasley) on IR?

A: Wasn't ready to go, so brought another receiver in. See what happens down the road.

Q: Did he do something extra yesterday to it?

A: No, just wasn't ready, so brought in (wide receiver) Cam Sims. Another set of legs. When Cole is ready to come back, we will see how it goes.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE