News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Special Teams coverage issues

Started by MightyGiants, September 05, 2023, 08:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Listening to Paulie D on two podcasts, he pressed home the issue of special teams.   He pointed out the Giants lost the game to the Seahawks essentially due to special teams failures.   The Giants ST unit hasn't exactly excelled this preseason.  Worse, their new gunner, Ford-Wheaton, is missing the year with an ACL. 

Paulie seems to believe that 35-year-old RB Taiwan Jones signed to the practice squad is the ST ace the team needs.  I tend to struggle with the idea of a 35-year-old ST ace.

Does anyone else share concerns about special teams?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Punt team has been an issue!  Not so much kicking team.

I wanted a punter competition at camp!

He either over kicks his coverage or doesn't hit it well!

We saw it PS where he over kicked coverage!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on September 05, 2023, 09:05:45 AMPunt team has been an issue!  Not so much kicking team.

I wanted a punter competition at camp!

He either over kicks his coverage or doesn't hit it well!

We saw it PS where he over kicked coverage!

Paul,

This is an excellent point.   Some of the punt coverage issues can be pinned on the team's less-than-consistent punter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2023, 08:59:47 AMListening to Paulie D on two podcasts, he pressed home the issue of special teams.   He pointed out the Giants lost the game to the Seahawks essentially due to special teams failures.   The Giants ST unit hasn't exactly excelled this preseason.  Worse, their new gunner, Ford-Wheaton, is missing the year with an ACL. 

Paulie seems to believe that 35-year-old RB Taiwan Jones signed to the practice squad is the ST ace the team needs.  I tend to struggle with the idea of a 35-year-old ST ace.

Does anyone else share concerns about special teams?

Rich: Schmeelk, Dottino and Medow all agree with him, so that's something, I guess. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AZGiantFan

At what point does Thomas McGaughey go on the hot seat? 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 05, 2023, 12:58:37 PMAt what point does Thomas McGaughey go on the hot seat? 

Not sure, because it really should have already happened IMO.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 05, 2023, 12:59:35 PMNot sure, because it really should have already happened IMO.

DB: Then again, considering the overall cap & Barkley/Jones/Dex issues, the new guys couldn't do it all at once.

Maybe the overall plan was to attend to it after this yr (and no great opportunities came to them accidentally).

I'm sure they wouldn't have passed up a golden opportunity if there had been one (or two) this year.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DragonSoul

Yes, mentioned it in a few posts. Special teams is a concern, after what we saw last year. Hopefully with added pieces and another year to work on it. Maybe the ST can become average at worst. But time will obviously tell.

Current concerns:
ST
Oline & Oline depth
DB depth
Healthy pass rushers and who can be the 3rd or 4th pass rusher as well.

Now most of them if not all may be average to great, or some may suffer. We will see soon enough.

Ed Vette

I expect Simmons and Boogie Woogie to contribute to special teams. I would sit Won'Dale and bring up Sills who is a good Special Teams player.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DragonSoul

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 05, 2023, 04:13:17 PMI expect Simmons and Boogie Woogie to contribute to special teams. I would sit Won'Dale and bring up Sills who is a good Special Teams player.
Denver I believe grabbed Sills.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE