News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

S Logan Ryan the gift that keeps on giving (dinging the salary cap)

Started by MightyGiants, September 05, 2023, 09:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

S Logan Ryan was, to me, the poster boy for the sort of all-talk and no-performance players that characterized the Joe Judge/Dave Gettleman FA acquisitions (the two were significantly better at drafting).  He managed to ding the Giants' salary cap even after being long gone.

https://twitter.com/DDuggan21/status/1699044777231081893?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

TDToomer

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Ryan is a classic example of how fans sometimes over-hype players. When Ryan was here, I heard nothing but glowing things about what a great teammate and leader he was, how he took extra time out to recruit the various FAs the Giants were targeting back in 2020/2021, etc etc. Nobody had anything but great things to say about him. Now he's persona non-grata haha.

For NFL fans, love turns to hate very easily sometimes.

madbadger

A team employee literally saved his wife's life and then he files a grievance. What injury did he suffer? Considering he was signed a week or two thereafter by the Buccaneers it's hard to find where he was aggrieved. He might be one of the few exceptions to once a Giant, always a Giant.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: madbadger on September 05, 2023, 12:27:50 PMA team employee literally saved his wife's life and then he files a grievance. What injury did he suffer? Considering he was signed a week or two thereafter by the Buccaneers it's hard to find where he was aggrieved. He might be one of the few exceptions to once a Giant, always a Giant.

I've never agreed with that saying and never will!  Some players don't deserve it

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: madbadger on September 05, 2023, 12:27:50 PMA team employee literally saved his wife's life and then he files a grievance. What injury did he suffer? Considering he was signed a week or two thereafter by the Buccaneers it's hard to find where he was aggrieved. He might be one of the few exceptions to once a Giant, always a Giant.

He said his contract owed him 3million, or 5% of his career earnings.

I'd be fighting for that.

DaveBrown74

A lot of fans were bewildered when he was cut. No money was saved. They absolutely did not want him anywhere near the organization.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 05, 2023, 12:41:15 PMA lot of fans were bewildered when he was cut. No money was saved. They absolutely did not want him anywhere near the organization.

Yep!  they wanted him out of the building faster then anything!

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 05, 2023, 12:41:15 PMA lot of fans were bewildered when he was cut. No money was saved. They absolutely did not want him anywhere near the organization.

I don't know about that. At the time they had a young guy in McKinney that they wanted to man the position. Saving a million dollars and playing a young guy with a future is more likely the explanation than Ryan being some locker room cancer.

nb587

Another  Gettleman signing where the question is who was he bidding against?  There are teams who might have wanted Ryan but no talk of anyone offering close to Gettleman's offer

madbadger

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on September 05, 2023, 12:40:03 PMHe said his contract owed him 3million, or 5% of his career earnings.

I'd be fighting for that.

That's not the way injury settlements work. If an injured player is waived he is entitled to his salary until he is fully healed and able to return to play. Since the season was over and the timeline of his surgery had him returning before the start of camp the Giants believed he wasn't entitled to an injury settlement. He ended up starting game one for the Bucs before hurting injuring his foot later in the season. So clearly he didn't miss any salary due to his injured finger. He wasn't entitled to it even if Mara eventually caved in to his demands just to make it go away.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on September 05, 2023, 01:56:24 PMThat's not the way injury settlements work. If an injured player is waived he is entitled to his salary until he is fully healed and able to return to play. Since the season was over and the timeline of his surgery had him returning before the start of camp the Giants believed he wasn't entitled to an injury settlement. He ended up start game one for the Bucs before hurting his foot after a month into the following season. So clearly he didn't miss any salary due to his injured finger. He wasn't entitled to it even if Mara eventually caved in to his demands just to make it go away.

I confess I am surprised the Giants lost this one.  Clearly he arbitrator when with the wording over meaning
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: nb587 on September 05, 2023, 01:38:57 PMAnother  Gettleman signing where the question is who was he bidding against?  There are teams who might have wanted Ryan but no talk of anyone offering close to Gettleman's offer

Especially considering that no team seems to want him the prior offseason when Gettleman scooped him up on the cheap during training camp.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs