News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mike Lombardi interview

Started by beaugestus, September 05, 2023, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaugestus

MightyGiants

Quote from: beaugestus on September 05, 2023, 10:09:45 AMEnjoy Rich
https://www.giants.com/#

:laugh:   I already listened to it.   :P

I thought it was pretty good (although, admittedly, I had heard much of what he said on his podcast).

I think what should be interesting to most is Mike's concept of a 6 pack offense, which he says is a good thing for Daniel Jones (and Hurts) to run.   He describes a 6 pack offense where there are 6 (rather than 5) offensive players who are a threat to run by design).  You have the 3 WRs, 1 TE, and 1 RB (or similar combination to run).   If you add in the RB you have 6 potential rushers.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

beaugestus

Did you read his book it sounded interesting?

Uni

Interesting that Lombardi is against "expanding the playbook" for Jones and instead advocates doing what they did last year, just better. It may well be that all the "progress" Jones made last year was a product of a simplified offensive design catered to his strengths, and he is no more capable of running a larger big play offense than he was pre-Daboll.

After all, it did work for Hurts.

DaveBrown74

Lombardi has repeatedly stated that the Giants overpaid for Jones, and he has never been much of a Jones guy. I wonder what he thinks the Giants should have done at QB after last season. I listen to the majority of his podcasts, and I have never heard him outline what that should have been. This draft was not a good one for QBs, plus they weren't picking in the top 20 so even moving up to say 12th would have been difficult. Plus none of these QBs look that good. Does he really think they should have given someone like Carr or Garropolo a big deal?

Uni

They could have outbid Seattle for Geno Smith, who had already played for the Giants, and saved a ton of money. Lombardi considers Geno a red chip (just below blue chip) and Jones an overpaid bottom half QB.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Uni on September 05, 2023, 10:39:10 AMThey could have outbid Seattle for Geno Smith, who had already played for the Giants, and saved a ton of money. Lombardi considers Geno a red chip (just below blue chip) and Jones an overpaid bottom half QB.

Smith is 6.5 years older than Jones, has peaked, and will start declining sooner rather than later - perhaps as early as this year.

Jones is just now entering his prime and has plenty of room for further progress.

Lombardi is a good football guy but has been wrong about plenty. This is just one more area where I feel he's wrong.

MightyGiants

Quote from: beaugestus on September 05, 2023, 10:25:50 AMDid you read his book it sounded interesting?

It came out today (I understand why, but I wish the new books would come out in the summer when I have tons of time and I am having football withdraw).   I intend to buy and read the book.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uni on September 05, 2023, 10:35:17 AMInteresting that Lombardi is against "expanding the playbook" for Jones and instead advocates doing what they did last year, just better. It may well be that all the "progress" Jones made last year was a product of a simplified offensive design catered to his strengths, and he is no more capable of running a larger big play offense than he was pre-Daboll.

Hanson,

For what it's worth, Mike has been saying that with the possible exception of Mohomes, all QBs need a system that plays to their strengths.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 05, 2023, 10:37:04 AMLombardi has repeatedly stated that the Giants overpaid for Jones, and he has never been much of a Jones guy. I wonder what he thinks the Giants should have done at QB after last season. I listen to the majority of his podcasts, and I have never heard him outline what that should have been. This draft was not a good one for QBs, plus they weren't picking in the top 20 so even moving up to say 12th would have been difficult. Plus none of these QBs look that good. Does he really think they should have given someone like Carr or Garropolo a big deal?

Mike's proposal was to let Jones hit free agency and then match the best offer.  I guess you need to have a relationship where Jones is willing to come back with his best offer, but that seemed to be the plan Mike had.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uni on September 05, 2023, 10:35:17 AMInteresting that Lombardi is against "expanding the playbook" for Jones and instead advocates doing what they did last year, just better. It may well be that all the "progress" Jones made last year was a product of a simplified offensive design catered to his strengths, and he is no more capable of running a larger big play offense than he was pre-Daboll.

One other point: Mike likes to talk about complimentary football.  One of the reasons Mike suggests not straying too far from last year's offensive scheme is the dink-and-dunk approach served to keep the defense off the field.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DragonSoul

to me he has some great overall knowledge. But yet again, when talking about the Giants he has the perception is reality disease as well as a Macro level vs micro level views. Once I started listening to him, talk about not opening it up and doing same thing as last year I turned it off.

Wasn't he the same person who said the giants became the Me over We problem. If so, wish he was asked/pushed on that as well. Unless I missed it at the end of the podcast.

MightyGiants

I thought another excellent point Mike raised was Barkley's very low average per pass.   If there is an area that Barkley improving on could really help this team, it would be increasing his yards per.   As an explosive runner, Barkley should be able to generate better YAC than he did last season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2023, 11:03:09 AMMike's proposal was to let Jones hit free agency and then match the best offer.  I guess you need to have a relationship where Jones is willing to come back with his best offer, but that seemed to be the plan Mike had.

Come to think of it I do remember hearing him say this. I guess I get what he's saying, but that's far from being a fool-proof plan (as you touch on). Part of his rationale for that plan was that he felt it would have smoothed things over with the other players and remove the idea that he claimed existed in the locker room that the Giants singularly overpaid for Jones.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 05, 2023, 11:58:01 AMCome to think of it I do remember hearing him say this. I guess I get what he's saying, but that's far from being a fool-proof plan (as you touch on). Part of his rationale for that plan was that he felt it would have smoothed things over with the other players and remove the idea that he claimed existed in the locker room that the Giants singularly overpaid for Jones.

I think the huge sticking point is the logistics.  Suppose Joe told DJ's agent, "Look, I don't think Jones is worth what you guys are asking."   How about you shop him around the league, come back with their best offer, and we will beat it by a little bit (or match it; I'm not 100% sure what Mike's thinking)?

You are putting a lot of trust in DJ and his agent while at the same time asking them to be deceptive with other teams.  I say deceptive because no team will waste time doing the Giants' negotiations for them if they know that DJ is just using the offer to get a deal with the Giants.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE