News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Offense or defense

Started by LennG, September 05, 2023, 08:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Who do you think will carry the Giants this season, the offense or the defense?

Most of the people I talk to say the defense, but the offense has to put up at least 24 points per game. The defense will be good, maybe even very good, but they need rest and if the offense sputters along as we have seen in the past, it will take its toll. Give the defense some time on the sidelines and they will carry this team this season.

My defensive MVP--if Wink allows him to play, Simmons can dominate.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I think the offense is significantly more improved versus last year than the D. The D should be better, but I don't see it being a top D yet. The secondary has talent but is relatively inexperienced, and depth in the front seven remains a significant concern that is sure to be an issue during the season. If injuries hit, this D is not well positioned to sustain a high level of play. If we are relatively fortunate on the injury front, I think it can be a good but not elite D. There is still work to be done on this unit.

If the Giants are a materially improved team versus last year, I expect most of that improvement to come on the offensive side of the ball. The offense is where the vast majority of the offseason resources went, and so in my mind that is the unit that is best positioned to make a big jump.

Jolly Blue Giant

I think we've improved on both sides of the ball. So I can't pick which will be most significant. We've certainly put weapons in the hands of DJ and if the line holds, we're going to score a lot of points. Last year our defense was halfway decent, with the biggest issue trying to stop the run. I think we've added the right people to make our defense very good. Can't wait to see this team in action
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Painter

It will take me as many as 3 or 4 or 5 games before I'd be willing to offer a guess. I'm more inclined to adopt the sentiment of a well-known song lyric: Who can explain it? Who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, Wise men never try. But then, I'm no fun.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

The Offense added a lot of better players but the Defense is going to surprise. The Offense can fail a play in the hands of many but lose games in the hands of a few. DJ, Neal and JMS are going to have to take their game to a high level to take advantage of all their weapons. The addition of two outstanding rookie corners, Bobby O., Simmons, Basham, 3 Dline, and the emergence of Pinnock, Thibs, a healthy Ojulari and McFadden have improved the Defense overall.

It's how healthy they stay. Defense will help the Offense get back on the field and Kafka biggest problem should only be not to score too fast and tire out the Defense.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

RelaxTension

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 05, 2023, 08:11:54 PMI think the offense is significantly more improved versus last year than the D. The D should be better, but I don't see it being a top D yet. The secondary has talent but is relatively inexperienced, and depth in the front seven remains a significant concern that is sure to be an issue during the season. If injuries hit, this D is not well positioned to sustain a high level of play. If we are relatively fortunate on the injury front, I think it can be a good but not elite D. There is still work to be done on this unit.

If the Giants are a materially improved team versus last year, I expect most of that improvement to come on the offensive side of the ball. The offense is where the vast majority of the offseason resources went, and so in my mind that is the unit that is best positioned to make a big jump.

I saw this and wonder why you would make this claim since I thought they went heavier on the defense this off season but looking at it now it seems pretty even.
They brought in three run stoppers in the front 7 with Okereke as the splash player.
The loss of Love might bite them but everyone else is basically still there.

On offense they added Waller and Campbell but brought nobody in for the oline.
The draft is even with one new starter on each side and possibly two when Hyatt and Hawkins take the spots.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Slugsy-Narrows

When I think of last year our D kept us in games and the offense at times just couldn't get us over the finish line and we fell short!

Or the D died late in the game cause the offense couldn't sustain drives.

I think this year the D again keeps us in games!

The difference is, I believe we now have the skill players to sustain drives, keep the D off the field and be fresher late in the game!

Edge is I D but the gap has shrunk tremendously and by season end I could see it equal.

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on September 05, 2023, 08:03:55 PMWho do you think will carry the Giants this season, the offense or the defense?
Lenn: My answer is offense, so (1) below is the most important detail. "Themes" for this year IMO should be:

(1) O must score early/often, but points alone won't cut it; they must take time off the clock with each drive.
(2) D must not give up big plays; points surrendered must not be "quick" points (must take time off the clock).
(3) specials - allow no quick scores; don't lose the ball; slight improvement by Gillan; and let Gano be Gano.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

I am hoping (and I would go so far as to say it's my expectation) that the offense and the defense will play complementary football to maximize win totals. This will not be a team that is "carried" by one side or the other.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

For me the biggest question mark is run defense because they were pathetic last year.  If they improve to average that will be huge for the defense.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Rambo89

With all of the heavy investment into the offense IMO they need to carry the load this season.  Though as AZ pointed out the run defense can't be as bad as it was late last season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 06, 2023, 12:59:06 PMWith all of the heavy investment into the offense IMO they need to carry the load this season.  Though as AZ pointed out the run defense can't be as bad as it was late last season.

The Giants are spending more cap $$$ on defense rather than offense (Defense: $102,646,974 vs. Offense: $91,296,706).

In terms of draft capital, it's been about equal over the past 4 years (give or take)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Bob

Those were my main
Quote from: Bob In PA on September 06, 2023, 09:48:15 AMLenn: My answer is offense, so (1) below is the most important detail. "Themes" for this year IMO should be:

(1) O must score early/often, but points alone won't cut it; they must take time off the clock with each drive.
(2) D must not give up big plays; points surrendered must not be "quick" points (must take time off the clock).
(3) specials - allow no quick scores; don't lose the ball; slight improvement by Gillan; and let Gano be Gano.

Bob
points. Sure both sides of the ball have had improvements, but as you said, in order for the defense to be good or better, the offense has to put points on the board and take time off the clock doing it. Yes, several have said we now have deep threats and we could become a quick strike team. That works well in spots, but if we leave a defense out there too long, they become more vulnerable. The rookie corners will learn the hard way, but by mid-season I expect them to 'catch on' and play good football.
We have improved the DL, we have improved our LB and we have improved our DB. To what extent will we see, but I'd be surprised, more overwhelmed if we weren't 100% better against the run.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on September 06, 2023, 06:30:44 PMBob

Those were my main points. Sure both sides of the ball have had improvements, but as you said, in order for the defense to be good or better, the offense has to put points on the board and take time off the clock doing it. Yes, several have said we now have deep threats and we could become a quick strike team. That works well in spots, but if we leave a defense out there too long, they become more vulnerable. The rookie corners will learn the hard way, but by mid-season I expect them to 'catch on' and play good football.
We have improved the DL, we have improved our LB and we have improved our DB. To what extent will we see, but I'd be surprised, more overwhelmed if we weren't 100% better against the run.

Lenn: Yes it's all interconnected. Each of the three units must come through to "help" the other two.

It's specially true for Giants (who have few stars compared to teams they must beat to take the next step).

As of the end of last season, the Giants had three "stars" (S. Barkley, A. Thomas and D. Lawrence). If at the end of this year a few guys who IMO are ready to take their game up a notch actually do so, then Giants will be ready to truly contend for a championship. They COULD contend this year but they'll need luck too. They're still not able to overcome more than 1 or 2 key injuries (and still have too many question marks).

In any event, the guys ready to take the next step are: (1) Waller (almost a certainty if he plays all 17 games, which will require luck); (2) Ojulari (same story); (3) Thibodeaux; and (4) McKinney. Guys who could surprise and take a leap up are: (a) Campbell; (b) Slayton; (c) Bredeson; and of course (d) Jones. These 4 are very good players who for one reason or another never completely clicked yet in the NFL. Success in the nature of a "leap up" for just 2 of the 4 would vault Giants into a force to be reckoned with, especially if one is Jones (but IMO they can still be a force if Jones just continues improving, even w/out a leap).

So to answer your question directly (no cop-out) the "O" must lead. They have two true stars (failure of either IMO dooms Giants to regression) and far more potential stars than the "D" (whose job is basically just hang in there and fight). It's on the "O" to do two things at once (score AND shorten the game).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AZGiantFan

To your point about who could break-out as stars, here is a good video by Nick Falato and Dan Schneier.  It is on the long side but I found it well worth watching:

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll