News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Cowboy's new O-line coach

Started by MightyGiants, September 06, 2023, 11:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The coaches who coach a team's offensive and defensive lines are among the most important.  So it came as a bit of a surprise that Mike McCarthy tapped Mike Solari to be the new Cowboy's O-line coach.  If that name sounds familiar, it's because he was the croony hired by Pat Schurmer when he was the Giants' head coach.   The two years that Mike was the O-line coach were marked by underperformance by the offensive linemen.

I am curious to see if Dallas sees the same thing.  :smoking:

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GloryDays

In their last preseason game, the Dallas announcers had high praises for Solari... then again, they seemed to be there to just praise Dallas 😝

Jaime

Hadron

Article about Solari from a Cowboy's site. Said that this hire gives them Mike Nolan vibes.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/mike-solari-offensive-line-unit-evaluation/

MightyGiants

Quote from: Hadron on September 07, 2023, 07:32:10 AMArticle about Solari from a Cowboy's site. Said that this hire gives them Mike Nolan vibes.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/mike-solari-offensive-line-unit-evaluation/

Thanks for sharing that, it was an interesting and excellent article  :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Solari will look better than he is simply for the fact the referees ALWAYS give leeway to the Dallas Oline. ALWAYS!

Ed Vette

How does a coach survive for 3 to eight years with teams but then last only a year with others? Sometimes when the HC goes they are fired as part of that team. The crony effect. He certainly has had much success in this league and his job is tethered to the talent level if the players. If Dallas doesn't hit the high note, this "croony" will be singing the blues along with McCarthy on the way out.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Uni

Never mind the OL -- this is a year one install of the new Schottenheimer offense. It's Dak's first year running this, having only had Moore as his OC since his rookie season. So we'll see if their offense functions smoothly out of the gate or if there will be growing pains, and we'll see how well McCarthy calls plays without Rogers freelancing.

bighitterdalama

Rich, just a small point. Solari was the line coach under Ben MacAdoo, 2016-2017. Shumer's O line coach 2018-2019 was the infinitely worse Hal Hunter.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 07, 2023, 08:28:39 AMThanks for sharing that, it was an interesting and excellent article  :ok:

Agree.  My only criticism is that the author correctly states that developing late round and UDFAs into part of a cohesive unit is a big part of an OLC's job but then he never addresses how Solari has done in that regard.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: bighitterdalama on September 07, 2023, 12:17:00 PMRich, just a small point. Solari was the line coach under Ben MacAdoo, 2016-2017. Shumer's O line coach 2018-2019 was the infinitely worse Hal Hunter.

:doh:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE