News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Offensive Identity

Started by Philosophers, September 06, 2023, 11:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

What offensive identity will the Giants have this year?  Will it continue to be dink and dunk?  Will it look more like the Miami Dolphins or Chiefs with more downfield boldness?  Will it be TE centric with Waller being generally the first option in throws line a Travis Kelce?

Has it not yet been established?

Jolly Blue Giant

Hard to know for sure of course. But I think there will be more vertical stretching of the field and the horizontal players were already in place...so the passing game will be used to set up the run instead of vice-versa. Saquon should have a field day

This morning's article in the New York Post said, "Dallas' game plan has always been around, "stopping Barkley" https://nypost.com/video/cowboys-are-not-taking-giants-additions-on-offense-lightly/
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

I think Waller will be the clear go-to guy (something they didn't really have last year) in the way that Kelce is for the Chiefs. Will be a mix of short and intermediate stuff with him. I think the rest of the offense will feature more downfield shots for sure though. It won't be that way on every passing down obviously, but having it be a threat is going to be a big part of how defenses have to play us. So I think Campbell and Hyatt will add to that.

I think we will also see a lot of slant type routes with guys like Hyatt who are a threat to go the distance on those type of routes.

I don't think any of the above is set in stone btw. There are a lot of new guys, and the coaches will be needing to see what works to some extent. Also, the QB is being asked to run a totally different style from the dink and dunk style of last year. They need to see him succeed with it as well. So I think there will be some "feeling out" in September but they'll settle in quickly. Either way, two things are certain in my opinion:

(1) Waller when healthy will be a central figure in the passing offense

(2) There will definitely be noticeably more downfield shots

RelaxTension

At first it will probably go through Waller just like we saw in the one preseason drive.
I'm hoping they are more balanced and can get some down field completions.
They just need to score more if that's with a run heavy or dink and dunk who cares just keep drives going..
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Slugsy-Narrows

Waller is DJ's Plax! 

We all saw the difference in Eli pre and post Plax!

I believe if Waller stays healthy it will be the equivalent and hopefully better!  As Waller is a bigger target then Plax was

Philosophers

Not knowing in some ways is very exciting.  I wonder how much middle of the field versus sideline involvement we will see from Waller.

I really want to see Hyatt and Campbell utilized all over the field in a variety of ways.  Nothing predictable please.

How much designed running will we see from DJ?  Given more weapons will they want to chance running him and getting him injured?

Lots to contemplate.

I hope Saquon is a huge part also in the passing game.

AZGiantFan

A formation that includes Hyatt, Slayton, Campbell, and Waller, with Saquon and Jones in the backfield, is going to be a nightmare for DCs.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Stringer Bell

I think it will be the opposite of dink and dunk.

I think they will gobble up yards in bunches with Waller being unguardable, with a more confident and accurate DJ, and with more weapons at his disposal than ever before. I think there will be more 30+ yard plays by midseason than all of last season.

And I think we're going to be a whole lot less reliant on Saquon. Call it a harbinger of things to come or call it the new world as DJ's team, but I expect this offense to flow through DJ and the passing game and use Saquon as the change of pace.

MightyGiants

I can't say, but my best guess is the identity will change week to week to exploit opponents' weaknesses and minimize any weaknesses (long-term or temporary) of the Giants.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Buffalo with Daboll threw it deep to set-up the short to intermediate and ground game.

Kafka with Reid in KC very much threw the short and intermediate with Kelce and Hardman to set up the long ball to Tyreke Hill.

Different philosophies for the same goal. I imagine the formations, plays, personnel and gameplan will vary week to week depending on the opponent.

beaugestus

Just like Wink suggested about the entire D, we have to be patient. We have to realize that what we see early in the season is not what we will hopefully witness at least a couple of games into the season. This is a very young team and I am excited as the next guy with this year.

Jaime

With the speed at WR & TE, hard to believe we aren't going vertical on a regular basis.
The one limiting factor as I see it, Is the OL. If they can't protect Dimes, they could be the fly in the ointment. Redfaced