News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Last season the Giants had just 51 snaps with their starting D front

Started by MightyGiants, September 07, 2023, 09:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

With any luck, this year should bring a big improvement in number and result. Still, all we can do is hope.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

What's implied here? There are variations of packages due to down, distance and situation, and players get rotational rest.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 07, 2023, 09:52:52 AMWhat's implied here? There are variations of packages due to down, distance and situation, and players get rotational rest.

Injuries played a huge role in the ridiculously low number.  Ojulari, KT, and Leo all missed significant time last year.  When they are all together healthy, they could prove to be one of the more formable defensive fronts in the NFL.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 07, 2023, 09:52:52 AMWhat's implied here? There are variations of packages due to down, distance and situation, and players get rotational rest.
Ed: It's mostly the injury thing. Ojulari missed lots of time; Leo missed some; Thibodeaux missed a bit early.

And it's the depth thing, too. They seemed afraid (for good reason) to put 2nd/3rd-stringers out there.

Your point... in situations where we'd expect the best 4 out there, how many times were they all available?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

RelaxTension

Here's to hoping there is more then a 10x improvement to that number!
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Painter

What is implied without even mentioning the 3 games missed by Thibs are the 550 fewer snaps played by Azeez last year compared to his rookie season in 2021.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Only five Defensive players played in all 17 games. The Secondary was even more compromised. Both Jackson and McKinney missed significant time and their backups were arguably even worse. Wink gets a lot of credit for keeping the Giants in most games.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 07, 2023, 10:35:40 AMOnly five Defensive players played in all 17 games. The Secondary was even more compromised. Both Jackson and McKinney missed significant time and their backups were arguably even worse. Wink gets a lot of credit for keeping the Giants in most games.

Considering what Wink had to work with last season, I don't think calling him a miracle worker is hyperbole.  I am pretty excited to see what Wink can do now that he has been given talent to work with.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 07, 2023, 10:35:40 AMOnly five Defensive players played in all 17 games. The Secondary was even more compromised. Both Jackson and McKinney missed significant time and their backups were arguably even worse. Wink gets a lot of credit for keeping the Giants in most games.
Ed: That's why you need depth to be a true threat (and why you coach the 53rd man as "hard" as the starters). Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 07, 2023, 10:37:46 AMConsidering what Wink had to work with last season, I don't think calling him a miracle worker is hyperbole.  I am pretty excited to see what Wink can do now that he has been given talent to work with.
If they stay healthy and the Rookies continue to assend, I think this Defense is going to make the Football World stand up and take notice.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 07, 2023, 10:37:46 AMConsidering what Wink had to work with last season, I don't think calling him a miracle worker is hyperbole.  I am pretty excited to see what Wink can do now that he has been given talent to work with.
Rich: I agree but IMO it'll take "a while" because of the rookie starters. The issue is how long is "a while." Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 07, 2023, 10:39:37 AMEd: That's why you need depth to be a true threat (and why you coach the 53rd man as "hard" as the starters). Bob
The depth is much better. Look who were the starting Mike and Corners last year. Depth this year and some not with the team or on a team. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GMenRF

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EbhQZ9cwpek&si=cEChvQfXq65IOsbG

Dan points out an interesting stat last year - only 51 snaps where Dex, Leo, Kayvon and AZ were on the field together....It's around the 4:30 minute mark.

If all our boys stay healthy, Dak is not going to have a lot of time to sit back in the pocket.  On top of sticky coverage from our corners if its not hurries, sacks, its going to be pick 6s.

MightyGiants

The entire video is worth watching.

As for the 51 snaps, we have a thread about it

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=67289.0

it's based off the original Tweet by Doug Analytics
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE