News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

33rd team's 10 coaches under 40 to watch

Started by MightyGiants, September 07, 2023, 10:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Kafka was hardly a surprise by the second Giants' coach was

https://twitter.com/The33rdTeamFB/status/1699785340662288447?s=20

Mike Kafka, Offensive Coordinator, 36
Kafka was a fourth-round pick by Andy Reid in Philadelphia in 2010 and played in the NFL for six years before transitioning to coaching, where he joined Reid in Kansas City in 2017. That same year, the Chiefs drafted Patrick Mahomes.

Kafka quickly climbed the coaching ladder, going from an offensive quality control coach to being hired as Brian Daboll's offensive coordinator and play-caller last season. It was Kafka's first significant coaching challenge, transitioning from having Reid, Mahomes, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, etc., to an organization where he had no prior experience and only recently had met Daboll.

Kafka took on the challenge, and the New York Giants had an unexpectedly successful season, making the playoffs and even winning a road playoff game. Kafka interviewed for a couple of head coaching positions this offseason but ultimately did not secure any. The Giants made significant additions to their offense, including TE Darren Waller, WR Jalin Hyatt, and WR Parris Campbell. Another successful year on offense should position Kafka to be squarely in the mix for a top job.

Shea Tierney, QBs Coach, 36
Tierney joined the Giants last season after spending four years in Buffalo with Daboll. Prior to that, he spent two years at the University of Alabama (also with Daboll).

Tierney worked closely with Daboll and Kafka last season to help develop quarterback Daniel Jones, who achieved career highs in completions (317), passing yards (3,205), rushing yards (708), and rushing touchdowns (seven) while significantly reducing his turnovers. The work was noticed around the league, and Tierney interviewed for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator opening this offseason, which ultimately went to Dave Canales.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/feature/nfl-coaching-candidates-10-coaches-under-40-to-watch-in-2023/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Our offense will have to be a total bust for Kafka to not get a head coaching job next season. Minimum 85% chance in my mind that he is gone in 2024.

The more I read/hear about Tierney though, the better I feel about him stepping into the OC role when Kafka departs. And as good as Kafka may be, keep in mind that last year he was coming from a totally different system and quickly had to get on the same page with Daboll. Thankfully he was able to do that, but I am sure it was still a process.

Not only will that not be the case with Tierney, but he was also with Daboll back in Buffalo, so he knows the system inside out and the relationship with Daboll is strong. I think it will be a seamless transition, and I will be very surprised if they hire someone externally to replace Kafka. If they do, then I would give Tierney a max of one year before he bolts for an OC job somewhere else.

True Blue

I think Kafka will be fine this year, and agree he will be gone next year barring disaster.

Last year Saquon slowed down and injuries piled up, limiting what we were able to call at some points. We have more depth so that should be harder to get to that point this year, in theory

Jolly Blue Giant

The newbie whose career I will be following is Davis Webb. He's worked behind some of the best QBs in the NFL and has learned from some excellent QB coaches and been under an upper tier coaching staff and front office management. He's learned a lot. It will be interesting to see how he does this year and his progression upwards. I have no doubt he'll be an OC at some point, and wouldn't surprise me he'd go even further. But as always, time will tell. The proof is in the pudding
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 07, 2023, 11:04:53 AMThe newbie whose career I will be following is Davis Webb. He's worked behind some of the best QBs in the NFL and has learned from some excellent QB coaches and been under an upper tier coaching staff and front office management. He's learned a lot. It will be interesting to see how he does this year and his progression upwards. I have no doubt he'll be an OC at some point, and wouldn't surprise me he'd go even further. But as always, time will tell. The proof is in the pudding

I agree on Webb. He has been planning to be a coach for a while. I'm sure many coaches who know him far better than any of us do have told him that that is his calling. I could see him being an OC by 2025 which, if I'm right, means he could be a HC by 2027.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 07, 2023, 11:04:53 AMThe newbie whose career I will be following is Davis Webb. He's worked behind some of the best QBs in the NFL and has learned from some excellent QB coaches and been under an upper tier coaching staff and front office management. He's learned a lot. It will be interesting to see how he does this year and his progression upwards. I have no doubt he'll be an OC at some point, and wouldn't surprise me he'd go even further. But as always, time will tell. The proof is in the pudding

I could see Webb coming from the Daboll and now Sean Payton coaching tree as a hot OC candidate, especially if Wilson's career is revived.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE