News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

When's the last time a defense had a challenge not named Barkley?

Started by MightyGiants, September 07, 2023, 10:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RelaxTension

2018 with OBJ and you saw how productive Barkley was with him on the field.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Jolly Blue Giant

It's been a long time. Micah Parson's said in an interview last week that the Cowboys have always schemed their entire strategy around stopping Saquon. Load the box, pressure the QB, let corners shut down any semblance of a passing game. Parson's has been with the Cowboys for two full seasons. What the Cowboys did before that is anybody's guess, but I assume it was also, "shut down Barkley and it's an automatic win"

They can't do that anymore. And Waller isn't the ONLY receiving target they have to account for
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 07, 2023, 10:21:29 AMIt's been a long time. Micah Parson's said in an interview last week that the Cowboys have always schemed their entire strategy around stopping Saquon. Load the box, pressure the QB, let corners shut down any semblance of a passing game. Parson's has been with the Cowboys for two full seasons. What the Cowboys did before that is anybody's guess, but I assume it was also, "shut down Barkley and it's an automatic win"

They can't do that anymore. And Waller isn't the ONLY receiving target they have to account for

Jolly: Yes. An often overlooked aspect our NFC-East rivals' games plans against the Giants is to force Barkley to stay in to block. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

One would think the heavy use of 12 Personnel would be deployed in this game. I think they start out in motion to an empty backfield and a Spread Formation 11 Personnel.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 07, 2023, 12:14:22 PMOne would think the heavy use of 12 Personnel would be deployed in this game. I think they start out in motion to an empty backfield and a Spread Formation 11 Personnel.   
Ed: Don't want to spoil your day, LOL, but that is also my prediction.

Giants will seek to run, run, run the ball, but what better way to start the game than with an empty backfield!!

Having that second good TE could carry the Giants a long way this year, IMO.

Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 07, 2023, 12:59:12 PMEd: Don't want to spoil your day, LOL, but that is also my prediction.

Giants will seek to run, run, run the ball, but what better way to start the game than with an empty backfield!!

Having that second good TE could carry the Giants a long way this year, IMO.

Bob

Bob, the biggest intangible moving forward will be Daniel Jones' ability to change the play at the LOS pre-snap. Change from Run to Pass, move protection, change the Primary, and be on key with Option Routes. If he can't do this as Eli did, then all the weapons in the world and the best Offensive Lines won't get this Offense to the next level. I'm encouraged because Kafka said he elevated his game to problem solving, now lets see if he can do in under pressure. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

The addition of Waller makes it much tougher to defend the Giants.   In the past as was posted one way to beat the Giants was to stop the run, play off with your coverage (the Giants had guys who could catch but they weren't going to kill you) and watch the Giants struggle to score 20.

Now, if you stack the box to stop Barkley, you leave yourself vulnerable to Waller having a field day in your light secondary.  If you back up to try and cover Waller, you give Barkley a light-box to run against and he will kill you on the ground.

I am so eager to see how it plays out.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 07, 2023, 01:28:50 PMThe addition of Waller makes it much tougher to defend the Giants.   In the past as was posted one way to beat the Giants was to stop the run, play off with your coverage (the Giants had guys who could catch but they weren't going to kill you) and watch the Giants struggle to score 20.

Now, if you stack the box to stop Barkley, you leave yourself vulnerable to Waller having a field day in your light secondary.  If you back up to try and cover Waller, you give Barkley a light-box to run against and he will kill you on the ground.

I am so eager to see how it plays out.

Plus the added speed with Campbell and Hyatt, those guys are going to win one on one matchups, not sure how consistently, but the plays will be there.

Hopefull with JMS and year 2 Neal, everyone has a few more seconds to get open too

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on September 07, 2023, 01:38:20 PMPlus the added speed with Campbell and Hyatt, those guys are going to win one on one matchups, not sure how consistently, but the plays will be there.

Hopefull with JMS and year 2 Neal, everyone has a few more seconds to get open too

It's funny that you mentioned that.  Banks (who talks with the NYG coaches) said one of the biggest challenges last year on offense was that the receivers always needed to be schemed open, none of the receivers could win their match up or at least win their match-up often enough to game plan for it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 07, 2023, 01:40:14 PMIt's funny that you mentioned that.  Banks (who talks with the NYG coaches) said one of the biggest challenges last year on offense was that the receivers always needed to be schemed open, none of the receivers could win their match up or at least win their match-up often enough to game plan for it.

Outside of Hodgins and Slayton, we were mostly fielding practice squad level talent beneath them. Marcus Johnson, Richie James, etc weren't going to do much without said schemes. KG didn't help things either, it is telling that he is a free agent still and never got a chance to earn a roster spot (to my knowledge).

AZGiantFan

Dallas is going to punch the offense in the face.  The question to be determined is, does the offense punch them back in the face.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 07, 2023, 01:45:26 PMDallas is going to punch the offense in the face.  The question to be determined is, does the offense punch them back in the face.
AZR: I like & live by your current "optimistic" tagline, but Tyson's well-known quote could also be put there. Bob

True Blue

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 07, 2023, 01:45:26 PMDallas is going to punch the offense in the face.  The question to be determined is, does the offense punch them back in the face.

I am all for cowgirl face punching.

4 Aces

DJ finally has a "Go To" guy. It's hard to believe in the NFL, but he's never had one his entire 4-year career here.

Eli had Plax, then Nicks, Cruz, then OBJ.

It's assumed as a basic requirement in the NFL - a receiver who, if left 1on1, provides a reliable place for the QB to throw the ball.

It's a security blanket - and having one is going to make DJ's job much, much easier. And the opposite is also true - the NFL is a scary place when you don't have a Go To Guy, and it's quite remarkable DJ's gotten to where he is today, without one. He didn't have one in college either, and still managed to be the 6th overall pick.