News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How did Brian Daboll and his staff go from coach of the year to this?

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 08:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

What happened?  How did the coach of the year and a staff that garnered serious HC interest become what we have witnessed in the past month?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

This, to me, is a bigger concern than DJ and on par with the atrocious OL as the 2 biggest concerns.

The team has looked totally unprepared in every game this season. The team has played sloppy and undisciplined in every game this season. The play-calling has been a mess every game this season.

There seems to be a complete lack of accountability - for the coaching staff, the players, the entire org.

This is why I don't get the whole 'draft a rookie QB' sentiment. Do those who feel this way really believe a rookie is going to fare any better in this environment?

Have we learned nothing from what the team is going through? If DJ wasn't the answer, then a big part of the problem outside of signing him was spending on a QB before the foundation was in place. 60% of the OL needs to be replaced. I'd forget about anything else until that has been addressed. If not, this cycle of ineptitude will only continue.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 03, 2023, 08:12:26 AMThis, to me, is a bigger concern than DJ and on par with the atrocious OL as the 2 biggest concerns.

The team has looked totally unprepared in every game this season. The team has played sloppy and undisciplined in every game this season. The play-calling has been a mess every game this season.

There seems to be a complete lack of accountability - for the coaching staff, the players, the entire org.

This is why I don't get the whole 'draft a rookie QB' sentiment. Do those who feel this way really believe a rookie is going to fare any better in this environment?

Have we learned nothing from what the team is going through? If DJ wasn't the answer, then a big part of the problem outside of signing him was spending on a QB before the foundation was in place. 60% of the OL needs to be replaced. I'd forget about anything else until that has been addressed. If not, this cycle of ineptitude will only continue.

Any QB the Giants would draft would likely just crash and burn in this environment, no matter how talented.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 03, 2023, 08:12:26 AMThis, to me, is a bigger concern than DJ and on par with the atrocious OL as the 2 biggest concerns.

Many have been beating the drum for years about the offensive line, regardless of who is under center.

Yes, Gettleman and now Schoen have addressed it but bringing in guys isn't enough.

The problem is talent identification, development, and coaching.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 08:05:09 AMWhat happened?  How did the coach of the year and a staff that garnered serious HC interest become what we have witnessed in the past month?

The league figured him and kafka out. we used some trickery last year which worked but they have to be the worst 2 coaches of all time in keeping things fresh and trying new things. everything with them is trying to put round pegs in square holes. just awful, awful play calling.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 08:13:57 AMAny QB the Giants would draft would likely just crash and burn in this environment, no matter how talented.

thank you! dont get me wrong id love a caleb williams, but you're just setting him up for failure. and if we fix the main issues... we already have a qb. fix the root causes and everything else will be better. i'd love to say take the best OL but we already tried that with neal and screwed it up royally. honestly, just take the best player regardless of position. idc if its a WR, a LB, a G, whatever. just take FOOTBALL players. because we really dont have any. im sick of it.

JT39

Coaching has been our biggest problem this year. But Schoen's evaluation of players he brought in is also very concerning.

DaveBrown74

I think since this team has been so starved of even mild success (which is all 2022 was), Daboll must have been showered with constant praise all summer internally and by beat guys. And obviously he won the award. It seems to have led to hubris/complacency. I can't think of any other explanation. He unquestionably did a very good coaching job last year given the state of the team when it was handed to him. They may not have been a great team last year but they were never lazy or anywhere near this undisciplined. Something changed, and I have my suspicions that it has to do with all the praise he got for 2022, as well as all the false hype this past summer about how great 2023 was going to be. I think it led to some complacency and that trickled down to the rest of his coaching staff and the players. I can't really come up with a better explanation than that.

H-Town G-Fan

Absolutely think it was hubris, ego... whatever you want to call it. It seemed to me like this coaching staff bought into how "good" it was, despite a horrible second half record and historically bad playoff opponent. This team has been woefully unprepared. The second half of the Arizona game has obscured how horrible they were starting that one off. It's been miserable. No tackling. No urgency. The vast majority of the roster is underperforming--how does that occur without a complete failure of preparation? Either that, or the players simply aren't listening... and that's not really a better reality.

babywhales

Jones has one more year on his contract 
Draft a QB to sit and develop while the o line develops as well

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

AYM

The 6-1 start was a mirage and he's been 5-10-1 ever since. That's the reality, every bit of positive feel for this regime is based off of that start.

Schoen doubled down on Gettleman's mistakes - he owns Jones/Barkley. He also owns the 2 bad drafts we've had under his regime.

I'm not sure what the answer is. The only person that hasn't been "moved" in one form or another is John Mara himself.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on October 03, 2023, 08:55:46 AMSchoen doubled down on Gettleman's mistakes - he owns Jones/Barkley. He also owns the 2 bad drafts we've had under his regime.

Agreed.

Barkley he can get away from more easily though. He can be rid of him after this season at no additional cost, or he might even be able to trade him during this season.

Jones is a stickier problem. Although he can be moved on from too. And even before he is moved on from they can create more competition at the position.

Ed Vette

When you look at the stat sheets, Seattle didn't have to do much to score 24 points. The Giants basically beat themselves last night, once again.

What's been happening is they make a mistake or a bad play and they don't have the fortitude to overcome it and it results in a momentum swing for the other team. That swing doesn't change until they make a great play to shift it back.

The problem started in the preseason. In order to minimize injuries their training camps were a step above a walkthrough. There was no intensity. They figured they would automatically build off of last season by adding weapons for Daniel Jones and the Oline players would improve over last season.

The reality is that Evan Neal doesn't have what it takes to recover from a bad play and he gets thrown off his game. The backup players on that Oline shouldn't be in the league.

When Daniel Jones gets pressured, he gets completely thrown off his game. He becomes apprehensive and either leaves the pocket and takes himself out of half the field, runs or checks down to the flat. I can't blame Parris Campbell because he's running that swing pass or flat route checkdowns that every team in now expecting and he gets slammed immediately after the catch or the DB jumps the route.

Another game that was close going into midway of the third quarter and it got away from them. The Defense made a critical 4th down stop and the Offense failed them. That pick six was the nail in the coffin for the game and the season.

Schoen will make it a priority to fix that Oline. Daboll will replace his STs and Oline Coach after the season. That's if he survives. Schoen now knows that Daniel Jones isn't the answer and will have a plan to replace him. Saquon Barkley will be in another team, this year or next.

If Thomas comes back 100% they have a shot at recovery after Miami/Buffalo. Still Neal will be a liability and that right side of the line will be a problem.

The Giants could wind up 1-11 before the Bye.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I think it's a combination of things:

1)  Daboll got away with tapping a bad O-line coach, but that mistake caught up with him this year

2)  Daboll should have hired a competent special teams coach, instead of keeping the existing one

3)  The coaching staff lost a lot of their success by chasing new goals.  The offense chased big plays while departing from the style that covered up the O-line deficiencies and the D forgot how to tackle while training to strip the ball to creat more turnovers

4)  Like others, I think there was some hubris

5)  The coaching staff didn't replace the lost coaches well- RB coach, assist O-line, assist special teams

6)  cronyism slipped into coaching, keeping useless players like Shepard and Beasley types

7)  the substituted a plan to improve the O-line with, "We hope the existing players get better."

8)  The coaching staff failed to have answers to counter the inevitable of the league figuring out the Giants schemes.

9)  The coaching staff was too player-friendly
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Brandon Staley has been a better coach than Daboll this year.

Chew on that for a minute....