News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How did Brian Daboll and his staff go from coach of the year to this?

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 08:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: JT39 on October 03, 2023, 09:35:46 AMBrandon Staley has been a better coach than Daboll this year.

Chew on that for a minute....

That is a frightening thought
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 08:13:57 AMAny QB the Giants would draft would likely just crash and burn in this environment, no matter how talented.

That's an assumption not a fact.  As scary as the unknown is you have to take a chance rather than be scared and stick with mediocrity.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 09:04:09 AMI think it's a combination of things:

1)  Daboll got away with tapping a bad O-line coach, but that mistake caught up with him this year

2)  Daboll should have hired a competent special teams coach, instead of keeping the existing one

3)  The coaching staff lost a lot of their success by chasing new goals.  The offense chased big plays while departing from the style that covered up the O-line deficiencies and the D forgot how to tackle while training to strip the ball to creat more turnovers

4)  Like others, I think there was some hubris

5)  The coaching staff didn't replace the lost coaches well- RB coach, assist O-line, assist special teams

6)  cronyism slipped into coaching, keeping useless players like Shepard and Beasley types

7)  the substituted a plan to improve the O-line with, "We hope the existing players get better."

8)  The coaching staff failed to have answers to counter the inevitable of the league figuring out the Giants schemes.

9)  The coaching staff was too player-friendly
After a good list of nine, you failed to identify any culpability for Daniel Jones.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 03, 2023, 09:44:50 AMAfter a good list of nine, you failed to identify any culpability for Daniel Jones.

I wasn't aware Daniel Jones was a coach...  but okay
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 09:47:23 AMI wasn't aware Daniel Jones was a coach...  but okay
He supported him as his franchise QB, not recognizing his fatal flaws.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 09:47:23 AMI wasn't aware Daniel Jones was a coach...  but okay

If the coaches are to blame for the players and how they're performing I don't see how we ignore the player with the biggest contract on the roster.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 09:49:52 AMIf the coaches are to blame for the players and how they're performing I don't see how we ignore the player with the biggest contract on the roster.
I actually think he thought he could transform Jones into a Josh Allen.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 03, 2023, 09:49:02 AMHe supported him as his franchise QB, not recognizing his fatal flaws.

I'm not sure if Jones had a "fatal flaw" or if he broke his franchise QB with all the mistakes listed. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 03, 2023, 09:53:30 AMI actually think he thought he could transform Jones into a Josh Allen.

Well John Mara thought because he had Eli's personality and was coached by the same guy Eli was in College that he would be Eli who could run.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 09:49:52 AMIf the coaches are to blame for the players and how they're performing I don't see how we ignore the player with the biggest contract on the roster.

I also don't know how some people can't blame anyone else on the team without steering the conversation back to their favorite target.  Jones had a horrible game but some people are only focusing on Jones and pretending that there are not bigger issues.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 03, 2023, 09:53:30 AMI actually think he thought he could transform Jones into a Josh Allen.

I believe this to be true. Or at least something resembling it.

I think they had no better options at QB and it was worth the gamble, afterall they won a playoff game with him,  but they made the contract in a way to protect them and the team if it didnt work out, its not at that point yet but it doesn't look encouraging, but I am sure they know all the options, and have a plan based on the results of this entire season as to which option to take, including potentially continue to build wiht DJ.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 03, 2023, 09:35:46 AMBrandon Staley has been a better coach than Daboll this year.

Chew on that for a minute....

Helps when Staley has an elite talent in Herbert as his QB and not an average one like Jones.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 09:57:36 AMI also don't know how some people can't blame anyone else on the team without steering the conversation back to their favorite target.  Jones had a horrible game but some people are only focusing on Jones and pretending that there are not bigger issues.

You've just been focusing on the offensive line and coaching.  This is the first time you've acknowledged Jones played arguably his worst game since the Tampa game 3 years ago.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 09:55:16 AMI'm not sure if Jones had a "fatal flaw" or if he broke his franchise QB with all the mistakes listed. 
Oh, I'm sure. And last night it was underscored. I can't forgive eleven sacks, but when opportunity was there, he completely fell apart. You can't have a franchise QB who can only perform when all around him is perfect. Rich, he ain't the guy.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

PSUBeirut

OL OL OL OL OL OL.  You'd think if any organization should have known how important this is, it would be the NY Giants.  But here we are.  As always, it seems.  It almost seems like a cliche here now- you will never EVER get a read on your offensive players or have any kind of sustained success without a deep and capable (ie, mediocre) offensive line.  It begins and ends there. 

So in retrospect, we should have known when we added Waller, Hyatt, even D Banks- at least 2 of those should have been OL. 

Daniel Jones is not good.  But I contend still that he COULD have been good.  But- we'll never know and at this point it doesn't matter- the ghosts are here and they're here to stay.

MightyGiants

Look, we already have a thread going after Daniel Jones. Can we keep this one about coaching?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE