News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How did Brian Daboll and his staff go from coach of the year to this?

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 08:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 03, 2023, 10:00:25 AMOL OL OL OL OL OL.  You'd think if any organization should have known how important this is, it would be the NY Giants.  But here we are.  As always, it seems.  It almost seems like a cliche here now- you will never EVER get a read on your offensive players or have any kind of sustained success without a deep and capable (ie, mediocre) offensive line.  It begins and ends there. 

So in retrospect, we should have known when we added Waller, Hyatt, even D Banks- at least 2 of those should have been OL. 

Daniel Jones is not good.  But I contend still that he COULD have been good.  But- we'll never know and at this point it doesn't matter- the ghosts are here and they're here to stay.

What we saw last night is what we've seen since 2019 when Barkley is out and not healthy this offense is downright awful.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 10:13:59 AMWhat we saw last night is what we've seen since 2019 when Barkley is out and not healthy this offense is downright awful.

And WEAK minded, might I add.  Which to me goes directly to coaching.  Last night's start felt eerily similar to the Dallas game- a good strong, move the chains type start on offense where things were going pretty well, even if just dinking and dunking down the field.  Then, adversity hits.  And after that the offense just couldn't get out of it's own way....this offense's psyche is so incredibly fragile and I have to think that's a coach+QB thing- I mean, where is the fire? 

The phrase SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE kept going through my head last night.  This offense was not smart, not tough in the sense of picking yourself up when adversity hits..... and as our OL became an embarrassing patchwork AGAIN, surely nowhere near dependable.  Did anyone else notice Shmintz limping very early in that first series?  I picked it up immediately and my heart sank...because I just knew one injury on the IOL is all it would take for this offense to fall apart- they just can't recover.

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 03, 2023, 10:21:41 AMAnd WEAK minded, might I add.  Which to me goes directly to coaching.  Last night's start felt eerily similar to the Dallas game- a good strong, move the chains type start on offense where things were going pretty well, even if just dinking and dunking down the field.  Then, adversity hits.  And after that the offense just couldn't get out of it's own way....this offense's psyche is so incredibly fragile and I have to think that's a coach+QB thing- I mean, where is the fire? 

The phrase SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE kept going through my head last night.  This offense was not smart, not tough in the sense of picking yourself up when adversity hits..... and as our OL became an embarrassing patchwork AGAIN, surely nowhere near dependable.  Did anyone else notice Shmintz limping very early in that first series?  I picked it up immediately and my heart sank...because I just knew one injury on the IOL is all it would take for this offense to fall apart- they just can't recover.

The Giants kept Brightwell.  I remember his stupid shoving penalty that pinned the team deep after a punt.  Was that SMART or DEPENDABLE?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 10:25:35 AMThe Giants kept Brightwell.  I remember his stupid shoving penalty that pinned the team deep after a punt.  Was that SMART or DEPENDABLE?

God don't get me started on Brightwell last night.  Such a ridiculously bad penalty and had a few other bonehead moves on top of bringing absolutely nothing in the run or pass pro game.  And let's not forget Eric Gray, who has been a 'hold your breath' returner every time but we still trot him out there and he almost ended the night even EARLIER last night.  What has Gray brought to the return game other than anxiety?  He may turn out to be a good runner but damn, just get someone back there to secure punts without giving us heart attacks.

Rambo89

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 03, 2023, 10:21:41 AMAnd WEAK minded, might I add.  Which to me goes directly to coaching.  Last night's start felt eerily similar to the Dallas game- a good strong, move the chains type start on offense where things were going pretty well, even if just dinking and dunking down the field.  Then, adversity hits.  And after that the offense just couldn't get out of it's own way....this offense's psyche is so incredibly fragile and I have to think that's a coach+QB thing- I mean, where is the fire? 

Daboll is the third coach the Giants have had since 2019 so it's not coaching.  It's an offense that goes strictly on the playmaking RB in a passing league.  That's a problem especially with the wear and tear on that player plus it's unlikely he'll be back in 2024.

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 03, 2023, 10:29:13 AMGod don't get me started on Brightwell last night.  Such a ridiculously bad penalty and had a few other bonehead moves on top of bringing absolutely nothing in the run or pass pro game.  And let's not forget Eric Gray, who has been a 'hold your breath' returner every time but we still trot him out there and he almost ended the night even EARLIER last night.  What has Gray brought to the return game other than anxiety?  He may turn out to be a good runner but damn, just get someone back there to secure punts without giving us heart attacks.

Plus when they benched Gray, why didn't Shepard finally earn his paycheck and return punts?  Why put Adoree Jackson back there?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 03, 2023, 08:12:26 AMThis, to me, is a bigger concern than DJ and on par with the atrocious OL as the 2 biggest concerns.

The team has looked totally unprepared in every game this season. The team has played sloppy and undisciplined in every game this season. The play-calling has been a mess every game this season.

There seems to be a complete lack of accountability - for the coaching staff, the players, the entire org.

This is why I don't get the whole 'draft a rookie QB' sentiment. Do those who feel this way really believe a rookie is going to fare any better in this environment?

Have we learned nothing from what the team is going through? If DJ wasn't the answer, then a big part of the problem outside of signing him was spending on a QB before the foundation was in place. 60% of the OL needs to be replaced. I'd forget about anything else until that has been addressed. If not, this cycle of ineptitude will only continue.
If Burrow can thrive in Cincy we'll be alright. A great Qb can do a lot for a bad team. Stroud has a bad Texans team playing great right now.

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 10:40:37 AMPlus when they benched Gray, why didn't Shepard finally earn his paycheck and return punts?  Why put Adoree Jackson back there?

Because Jackson isn't going to put the ball on the deck.  And Shepard the last thing you want to see him do is that.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 10:59:50 AMBecause Jackson isn't going to put the ball on the deck.  And Shepard the last thing  to see him do is that.

Shepard is barely playing any offensive snaps.  Why not return punts?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 11:10:47 AMShepard is barely playing any offensive snaps.  Why not return punts?

Because he hasn't done it since....I can't remember, he's aging and injury prone. No way would he be considered. It should be Hyatt. With his speed he's gotta be a spark.

Edit: He has never returned a punt of even a KO in the NFL.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Rambo89

Quote from: TDToomer on October 03, 2023, 11:21:42 AMBecause he hasn't done it since....I can't remember, he's aging and injury prone. No way would he be considered. It should be Hyatt. With his speed he's gotta be a spark.

I think at this point with how bad and mistake prone the Special Teams have been you just need someone back there to do the basics of catching the punt and not fumbling.

TDToomer

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 11:24:17 AMI think at this point with how bad and mistake prone the Special Teams have been you just need someone back there to do the basics of catching the punt and not fumbling.

That's step one but you need to gain some positive yardage! You will completely lose the field position battle all game long without even a 5-7 yard return. Hyatt could take one to house.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

RelaxTension

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 10:25:35 AMThe Giants kept Brightwell.  I remember his stupid shoving penalty that pinned the team deep after a punt.  Was that SMART or DEPENDABLE?
That's fine because he made for it by running into the kick on a punt so they can have a new set of downs.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

MightyGiants

Quote from: RelaxTension on October 03, 2023, 11:54:27 AMThat's fine because he made for it by running into the kick on a punt so they can have a new set of downs.

I always appreciate when a player makes up for their mistakes  /sarcasm/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Camp Daboll should have gave us a fair warning. Yes..we knew the schedule would be brutal the first six..but this isn't representative pro football so far. Coaching..preparation..roster..leadership..heart are completely absent.

The Walking Dead: Bad Blue.