News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can we talk about Joe Schoen too?

Started by brownelvis54, October 03, 2023, 05:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Can we talk about Joe Schoen too? He blew TWO top 7 picks, and Deonte Banks grades are scary low. He also blew it when he declined Jones fifth year option which forced us to sign him to that huge deal, instead of making him prove it one more year under Daboll. He also is the one who hired these other crappy coaches. He does not keep getting a pass.
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

Schoen has a lot to answer for.   Most of his best players he inherited and some of his decisions were questionable at best.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

He doesn't deserve a pass but he also doesn't deserve to be let go after 2 seasons when the previous guy who was arguably the worst GM in the history of the franchise got 4 seasons.  He should be given more time to clean up the mess.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 05:56:54 PMHe doesn't deserve a pass but he also doesn't deserve to be let go after 2 seasons when the previous guy who was arguably the worst GM in the history of the franchise got 4 seasons.  He should be given more time to clean up the mess.

Greg,

I don't think anyone is yet calling on Schoen to be fired.   He does need to be held accountable for the lousy team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 06:03:41 PMGreg,

I don't think anyone is yet calling on Schoen to be fired.   He does need to be held accountable for the lousy team.

Holding someone accountable typically means loss of job.  Don't know how else it would be applied.

brownelvis54

Let's not forget, he drafted four of our starting offensive lineman
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

I have been a huge fan of Schoen, and while (up until this season) I didn't think everything he did was always perfect, I have generally liked the moves he has made and the way he has conducted negotiations, etc.

However, by no means am I going to look the other way on him should things persist the way they are this year. He is in charge, and right now this team looks no better than a Joe Judge/Dave Gettleman team. And this is year two for Schoen. So as a results guy, I'm definitely going to be flexible on my views, but I'm not ready to hit the panic button on him and declare him a bad hire. I'm actually not particularly close to that point yet.

MightyGiants

So what do you propose?  How do you not give him a
Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 03, 2023, 06:23:14 PMI have been a huge fan of Schoen, and while (up until this season) I didn't think everything he did was always perfect, I have generally liked the moves he has made and the way he has conducted negotiations, etc.

However, by no means am I going to look the other way on him should things persist the way they are this year. He is in charge, and right now this team looks no better than a Joe Judge/Dave Gettleman team. And this is year two for Schoen. So as a results guy, I'm definitely going to be flexible on my views, but I'm not ready to hit the panic button on him and declare him a bad hire. I'm actually not particularly close to that point yet.

I am fearful we are living Judge/Gettleman part two
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 05:56:54 PMHe doesn't deserve a pass but he also doesn't deserve to be let go after 2 seasons when the previous guy who was arguably the worst GM in the history of the franchise got 4 seasons.  He should be given more time to clean up the mess.

I'd have hoped he'd be cleaning up the mess from DG and not his own.  Worrying more about that.

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 03, 2023, 06:23:14 PMI have been a huge fan of Schoen, and while (up until this season) I didn't think everything he did was always perfect, I have generally liked the moves he has made and the way he has conducted negotiations, etc.

Think last season though winning 9 games was great in the long run the domino effect of leading to the retention of players may end up hurting the franchise in the long run.  They may have been better off with a 5-6 win 2022 leading to a reset for 2023.

Quote from: Philosophers on October 03, 2023, 06:45:13 PMI'd have hoped he'd be cleaning up the mess from DG and not his own.  Worrying more about that.

Thing though is the mess long term might be relating to the big contracts he handed out to the holdovers from the last regime.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 06:30:15 PMSo what do you propose?  How do you not give him a

I am fearful we are living Judge/Gettleman part two

I am not sure what your second question was as it appears cut off, but if I were the front office I'd proceed with the season and try/hope to get better, but if we fall to 1-5, as expected, I would start thinking about being a seller ahead of the deadline and trying to build draft capital for what appears right now to be a talent-loaded draft.

If you're asking what I propose re Joe Schoen, I don't really propose anything right now other than that he do his job to the best of his ability.

madbadger

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 03, 2023, 06:14:28 PMLet's not forget, he drafted four of our starting offensive lineman

How much of that is on Bobby Johnson. Not a single Giants lineman has shown improvement since the middle of last year. In fact they've all regressed to one degree or another including Thomas. I have a hard time hanging that on the GM alone.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 06:53:12 PMThink last season though winning 9 games was great in the long run the domino effect of leading to the retention of players may end up hurting the franchise in the long run.  They may have been better off with a 5-6 win 2022 leading to a reset for 2023.

Perhaps, but there is definitely a fair bit of hindsight in that statement. For a team that was so starved of anything positive, last year felt like a really solid first step at the time. I'm not sure I can go as far as to say it was actually more harmful than good, but I do get your point and understand the logic.

Messiah717

What should boggle everyone's mind is that it's 2023 and the Giants are still dealing with the same positional weaknesses from several years ago.  That happens when instead of rebuilding correctly you're worrying about Barkley's contract, you're bringing in a 31 Waller and you hand a bunch of money to a QB who has proven nothing.  You cannot build on top of a crap foundation.   

StompYouOT

I seem to remember someone here speculating Mara was behind the new Jones contract.  Could that possibly be true?  If Schoen wanted to go a different direction and had this forced on him then everything else is irrelevant.

For as much as I want Jones out there are obvious other problems.  It's not like Jones is costing us close game.  My belief is it all starts at the most important position which affects everything else.  So I'm not firing Schoen just yet, but bright spots are hard to find right now.  Except for the top five pick coming our way.