News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can we talk about Joe Schoen too?

Started by brownelvis54, October 03, 2023, 05:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: fromthebside on October 04, 2023, 10:24:23 AMGet him in space and he'll get you yardage.  He makes the play action work.

While these are true statements about Barkley, they are also true statements about plenty of RBs who cost a fraction of Barkley's cost and are more durable.

I am not saying Barkley is not a very good if not great player. He absolutely is. But the economics of paying up for an older injury-prone RB (rather than maintaining a stable of quality but cheaper backs like the Eagles do) just don't work, unfortunately.

nb587

I am not a Daniel Jones fan; I thought his being drafted 6th was one of the worst picks in Giants history. That said, he had a good year last year and the team won a playoff game after years of less than mediocrity.  What do you think the reaction of fans would have been if he did not re-sign him ( and the owner).  There were no really good QBs in the draft and no good free agent QBs not even considering the CAP situation here.  He could have franchised Jones but that probably would have resulted in losing Barkley.  And and signing Jones freed up money to spend this year.  Coming off a successful year made dealing with Jones much harder.  Signing Jones may have been the best of a few bad options.

My opinion is that the real screwup after Jones with the 6th pick was passing on Herbert the following year when he available at our pick.  A GM as bad as Gettleman would not have done that because among other things, it would have been admitting the Jones pick was a mistake and Getty sucked as a GM.   I wonder if Schoen was here then or a GM with foresight and cojones would have pulled the trigger on Herbert and traded Jones for whatever we could get.

madbadger

Quote from: AYM on October 04, 2023, 07:55:19 AMGettleman had way more heat than Schoen from near the beginning, when he drafted Barkley.

Gettleman was reviled from the beginning because he was just another recycled Mara guy. He was also hated because of the stupid out of touch comments he made about the modern NFL and the use of analytics. Schoen is a much better GM. I get that they've been a dumpster fire but outside of the Jones deal he's cleaned up the cap nightmare he inherited and been smart with his free agent signings. Unless he starts thrashing to and fro both Daboll and Schoen deserve at least three full seasons to be judged. Especially considering the cap hell he inherited.

AYM

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 04, 2023, 07:52:00 AMRight now, Neal is looking Eric Flowers level bad in terms of a very high O-line draft bust

And after what Neal said today, he's taken the Flowers express train.

TDToomer

Quote from: madbadger on October 04, 2023, 02:26:16 PMGettleman was reviled from the beginning because he was just another recycled Mara guy. He was also hated because of the stupid out of touch comments he made about the modern NFL and the use of analytics. Schoen is a much better GM. I get that they've been a dumpster fire but outside of the Jones deal he's cleaned up the cap nightmare he inherited and been smart with his free agent signings. Unless he starts thrashing to and fro both Daboll and Schoen deserve at least three full seasons to be judged. Especially considering the cap hell he inherited.

Nailed it. I give Schoen way more rope. He extended Dlaw and Thomas. Gettleman signed Golladay and extended nobody but a guy he traded too much for in Leo with albatross contracts that cost us resigning Love and Tomlinson.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

I fully agree with you guys, although Schoen needs to do more than simply not be Gettleman in order to earn lasting accolades over the medium to longer term. Gettleman may have been one of the 20 or 30 worst GMs in the history of the NFL. For Schoen to receive lasting accolades over the medium to longer run, the results will need to be there in the end. We'll see if that happens. I remain optimistic in him overall, but I admit he has made a few regrettable decisions, as any good GM does.