News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I hope

Started by kingm56, October 08, 2023, 04:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

expatriot

This whole team is just SOFT.  Disgrace.

jgrangers2

This team really needs to start from scratch. How many players on this team will actually be here the next time the Giants are a true contender? I can't overstate how much last year probably set us back about a year or two. That needed to be a 4-5 win team with a top 5-6 pick.

If Schoen and Daboll were being honest, I don't think either of them truly believed in Jones as the answer, but last year made moving on from him difficult from an optics standpoint.

Messiah717

The reality is that since their last SB win this franchise is 80-111-1 with one playoff win.  That record looks to get worse over the next few years. 

Jclayton92

I always thought Jones was the stop gap to an elite Qb. I thought that even resigning him with the 2-3 year out Gave the team time to rebuild and replace Jones.

Honestly asking did anyone think Jones would be here when we actually started contending? Because I didn't, I thought schoen and daboll would keep building, get their guy in the 2024 draft, let him sit a year, keep building and be ready go in 2025.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 08, 2023, 09:01:09 PMI always thought Jones was the stop gap to an elite Qb. I thought that even resigning him with the 2-3 year out Gave the team time to rebuild and replace Jones.

Honestly asking did anyone think Jones would be here when we actually started contending? Because I didn't, I thought schoen and daboll would keep building, get their guy in the 2024 draft, let him sit a year, keep building and be ready go in 2025.

I thought the contract was a signal of some optimism with caution by Daboll and Schoen.  So, yes, I thought those guys had at least some level of confidence that they could take Jones to the next level (that level being above average, not great, or elite or top 10 in the league) and with that the team could compete.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on October 08, 2023, 04:54:12 PMThe Giants lose every game this season; nothing is going to change unless something catastrophic happens and we alter our current Paradigm, which we've endured for over a decade now. Going 1 and 16 will force that change and perhaps place this franchise on a successful trajectory.  Selecting the right quarterback can catapult your team similar to the Cincinnati Bengals . However, it's unlikely that changing the Head Coach or offensive coordinator is going to change anything. Moreover, I know drafting a top-tier QB is no guarantee, but I'd rather take a risk, than endure  more of the same.  We need to fundamentally change our foundation. Let's start by trading Barkley.

From 2012 to at least 2016 you have an elite QB in his prime.  So I think you suggestion that the QB has been the issue for the past decade may be misguided, regardless of your views on Daniel Jones who has been pressured 81 times this season, 3rd-most by any player through 5 games since ESPN began tracking pressures in 2009.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 09:22:58 AMFrom 2012 to at least 2016 you have an elite QB in his prime.  So I think you suggestion that the QB has been the issue for the past decade may be misguided, regardless of your views on Daniel Jones who has been pressured 81 times this season, 3rd-most by any player through 5 games since ESPN began tracking pressures in 2009.

That is true that during the 12-16 Eli put up a number of 4,000 yard 35 TD type seasons.  Since then the Giants haven't gotten that type of QB play.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

jgrangers2

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 09, 2023, 08:38:21 AMI thought the contract was a signal of some optimism with caution by Daboll and Schoen.  So, yes, I thought those guys had at least some level of confidence that they could take Jones to the next level (that level being above average, not great, or elite or top 10 in the league) and with that the team could compete.

I viewed it as them taking a chance they could make him better after playing themselves out of drafting a top QB this year. You can certainly make the case that they would have been better off going with a much cheaper bridge QB for this year and not lost much (i.e. Mayfield or Winston), but the contract also gave them an easy out after 2024 if they needed it. It's just gonna hurt a bit if he's a $47M cap hit as a backup QB next year.

Giant Jim

Root for the Giants to lose? Why would I do that? How many years have they had very high picks and look where they are. I'm a Giants fan and I root for them to win every game. I spend hours watching the games. I enjoy all wins. I watched the Jets pull out a win last night. You think their fans are upset that win hurts their chances of the top pick in the draft? He could be a back up QB his first year behind Aaron Rodgers. What a great way to start a franchise QB! But no. They enjoyed seeing their team win with a QB many aren't happy with and at this point won't take them too far if they make the playoffs.

If you're a real fan of the Giants and their games, you root for them to win every game and not be embarrassed when they lose. Of course, if you're just a fan of the draft, then root for them to lose and keep your fingers crossed the guy they pick isn't the next Jameis Winston, Baker Mayfield or JaMarcus Russell. There have been just as many misses as hits on "can't miss" QB's. The Giants have only found 2 since the draft was started, Phil Simms and Phillip Rivers. The Jets-1 in over 60 years.

The main issues with this team is the failure of so many high offensive line draft picks failing or in the case of Pugh and Richburg, not keeping them even tho they weren't pro-bowlers. But overall, 3 different GM's can't ID quality linemen. How many linemen the Giants let go are playing on other teams?

Neal is looking like Flowers, Glowinski is Solder. Different GM's, same result.

The past 2 loses were worse than they should've been because the back ups starting on the line couldn't beat out any of the poor quality starters.

I say Go Giants. I'd love to see them beat Buffalo. For those that want Buffalo to win, I say, "Why are you here?", come back in April.