News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones

Started by Trench, October 08, 2023, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

files58

With the mention of Dave Brown anywhere, here, print, on line, two guys talking on a corner in Serbia, Dan Reeves(RIP) is spinning in his grave. For his folly George Young(RIP) now for eternity has to hear Reeves ask him what the f#$k were you thinking. From now on there should be a Giant organization rule that no scout should check out a Duke QB. Akin to the way Talus IV was regarded on the original Star Trek.

Philosophers

I know one thing for sure.  DJ will not probably be a top 5 QB even with a good OL but no QB (Patrick Mahommes, Caleb Williams) will be a top 5 QB behind that Giants OL. 

StompYouOT

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 09:57:20 AMActually it does when you take a look at Trubisky's numbers his first four seasons in Chicago and compare them to Jones's.  Very similar.  Only difference is the Bears moved on from Trubisky and the Giants rewarded Jones.

As far as the personal shot at me making things up I am taking that as your frustration of being wrong on Jones.

That's how I see it.  Paying this amount of money to a weak passer is absurd.  It's not a personal attack, I said last spring they would regret and here we are. I have no personal animosity towards Jones, I just don't want to watch him in a Giants uniform anymore.  The way some people have supported him borders on delusional.

Tyrod was running for his life too, the line is horrendous, but that doesn't make Jones the answer.  I liked Tyrod in Buffalo and think people might be surprised with how the offense looks in coming weeks. 

TDToomer

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 01:00:49 PMLet's not ignore Sports talk radio existing then and the beating Brown took there in addition to the newspapers which never had the bloggers and others defending Brown.  In fact no one did.

Yep and AOL had a giants forum before message boards like this one existed.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

babywhales

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 10:53:11 AMHe did get it worse.  Back then the media never deflected to the team around him it was always about his performance.  So this idea that Jones has had it worse than any player in the history of the franchise is just flat out false.
Brown was in a much better situation and simply could not produce.

First of all, Brown started on bench for 2 seasons behind Hos and then Simms.

Brown had some very good Mike Nolan defenses and also benefited from an much better running game. 

Brown was a deer in headlights and the problem with the offense. 

Back then even the defensive players had turned on Brown and knew he was the problem.

1992 Bench                        Defense #26    Running Game #1       
1993 Bench                        Defense #1      Running game # 10
1994 Starter                       Defense # 8    Running Game #10
1995 Starter                       Defense #16   Running Game #13
1996 Starter                       Defense #10   Running game # 24
1997 Benched for Kennel     Defense # 4   Running game # 7
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Rambo89

Quote from: babywhales on October 09, 2023, 03:38:29 PMBrown was in a much better situation and simply could not produce.

First of all, Brown started on bench for 2 seasons behind Hos and then Simms.

Brown had some very good Mike Nolan defenses and also benefited from an much better running game.

Brown was a deer in headlights and the problem with the offense.

Back then even the defensive players had turned on Brown and knew he was the problem.

1992 Bench                        Defense #26    Running Game #1       
1993 Bench                        Defense #1      Running game # 10
1994 Starter                       Defense # 8    Running Game #10
1995 Starter                       Defense #16   Running Game #13
1996 Starter                       Defense #10   Running game # 24
1997 Benched for Kennel     Defense # 4   Running game # 7

The argument wasn't who was better or worse as a player.  It's been clear and still clear Jones is a better player than Brown ever was.  The argument and topic is which QB took more heat and the answer should be Brown for those of us who were around for both.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jclayton92

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 08, 2023, 09:59:51 PMI'd love for nothing more than for Tyrod to get a full game next week, so he can look like an absolute disaster behind this JV OL.

Reality is, the rational fanbase are able to acknowledge that DJ has not played well while also pointing out that absolutely no one could perform well behind this terrible OL.

And those with a DJ bias want to put the blame solely on him. Only way to solve this is to give Tyrod the same chance. Granted, even if it happens the DJ haters will just move the goalposts again, but it will be validating all the same.

The goal posts have never been moved, everyone that is a so called DJ hater thinks he can be a top 10-18 QB any given Sunday and have said that at nausem.

I understand the oline isn't good right now but neither is Jones. Jones is on his fifth year and has never thrown for 3,500 yards or 25 Tds. Just hear that out, there are some truly horrible Qbs that have produced more than Jones to this point.

He has never produced, and can't win a modern football game were teams score 25-30 every game now. CJ Stroud is doing more with arguably less talent and there's absolutely no excuse for that.

Tyrod makes 1/8th of Jones yearly salary and they basically had the same stats the only difference is Jones had 48 minutes to Tyrods 12 minutes.

babywhales

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 03:40:31 PMThe argument wasn't who was better or worse as a player.  It's been clear and still clear Jones is a better player than Brown ever was.  The argument and topic is which QB took more heat and the answer should be Brown for those of us who were around for both.
I know, I was rushing and actually posted in wrong thread, my point that was unclear was brown deserved more heat. 

The team was good and just needed him to step up and not be horrible.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

JT39

CJ stroud has worked with less?

There's absolutely no basis for this. I'll take Woods, Collins, and Dell over what we call WRs. Hodgins has been basically benched. Campbell has been benched. Slayton is in the running for the worst number 1 in all of football. So what does Stroud have less than jones? I can easily argue that Schultz is a better all around TE than Waller too.

Stroud hasn't been sacked in 3 games. So I'm pretty sure his OL is much, much better.

There's not one team who wants our OL without Thomas and our skilled players without Barkley.

None, zilch, nada.

LennG

Let's not forget Phil Simms was booed mercilessly for his first few years. Not until the Giants showed signs of life and became a legit contender, did the fans let up, and really not until Phil hoisted that Lombardi did the fans and media let up on him.

Eli, on the other hand, was golden. Even when he sucked, he 'Gosh--gee, and Oh Myed it" and everyone forgave him for some horrendous play.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 04:18:39 PMCJ stroud has worked with less?

There's absolutely no basis for this. I'll take Woods, Collins, and Dell over what we call WRs. Hodgins has been basically benched. Campbell has been benched. Slayton is in the running for the worst number 1 in all of football. So what does Stroud have less than jones? I can easily argue that Schultz is a better all around TE than Waller too.

Stroud hasn't been sacked in 3 games. So I'm pretty sure his OL is much, much better.

There's not one team who wants our OL without Thomas and our skilled players without Barkley.

None, zilch, nada.

=))

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 12:54:52 PMDave Brown played before message boards and social media.  There was barely any activity on the internet in those early development days.  So how were you guys able to compare?  I mean back then, fans had access to the evening news, ESPN, and your local paper.  Talk with other fans was limited to fans who you happen to talk football with. 

For crying out loud, Rich, Dave Brown was sat down for Tommy F'in Maddox in 1995!!!!! Forget Mike Ditka, that insult alone, by his own head coach, destroyed the entire team and its credibility from George Young all the way down to the water boy!!! It was one of the most disgraceful acts by a head coach in Giants' history and, in spite of that, I still like Dan Reeves the man.

That Dave Brown was able to talk about his experience with the Giants, on the Rich Eisen show, without saying a single negative comment about anyone, showed me a higher level of class than I've ever seen from a former Giant QB who was dealt the shaft during hard times.

If the media coverage we have today existed in 1995, George Young would have been captured and burned at the stake and the old man swinging from a chandelier by his neck. With the image of Simms getting released still fresh in our recesses, Phil would have been canonized a saint and a campaign for The Tuna returning to the Giants would have started sooner and I'd imagine he'd be returning with Belichick to start the 1997 season. Try that scenario in your head and see how Giant history plays out.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 09, 2023, 04:27:28 PM=))

You would take hodgins, Slayton, and Campbell over those 3? Now that's reallllly funny.

A journeyman WR, a guy who couldn't make the bills to 6 WRs, and Darius Slayton who couldn't get a decent contract from anyone.

Those guys are studs we have lol

Stringer Bell

Quote from: True Blue on October 09, 2023, 04:27:28 PM=))

Not sure why this is funny. I'd take Nico Collins over any of our WRs. And it's not even close. Who from the Giants is better?

And Tank Dell - a 3rd round rookie - has more yards than our 2 starters (Hodgins and Slayton) combined and more TDs than every WR on our roster combined.

JT39

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 09, 2023, 04:54:38 PMNot sure why this is funny. I'd take Nico Collins over any of our WRs. And it's not even close. Who from the Giants is better?

And Tank Dell - a 3rd round rookie - has more yards than our 2 starters (Hodgins and Slayton) combined and more TDs than every WR on our roster combined.

Cause they are at least competent players. But I bet we hear - it's Jones fault that ours can't make plays.