News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Kurt Warners tweet about DJ & the Giants.

Started by DragonSoul, October 09, 2023, 10:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSoul

https://twitter.com/kurt13warner/status/1711334377286734020

Funny how the pros and announcers can see the issue, yet others are blinded by their own Bias.

I stated just recently, his passes are rushed based on the pressure he gets (internal clock speeds up) and the only thing he can do is get rid of it asap. If not he will get injured & unfortunately he did. And even TT who was in for a short while was getting nailed.

We will be last years 49ers revolving QBs. Kudos to the FO & the people who think that the oline is just fine- lmao.. JB looks worse than DJ with a bad oline as well, but JB gets a pass & DJ gets the blame. Any great qb will look bad if their oline stinks. This oline will probably be historically bad. And they still haven't started the same 5 from week 1 till this point.

PSUBeirut

Here's the problem- it actually doesn't matter if Daniel Jones could have been a good QB behind a competent OL at this point (I am one who 100% believes he could have been).  Unfortunately - it's irrelevant.  He's been pressured and hit so consistently now that his timing/clock in the pocket will never be the same.  I hate to say it but what I see is a broken QB and it's hardly the guy's fault.  But again, I don't think it matters.  It is what it is and barring some sort of heavenly intervention that fixes our OL and makes them not just average but VERY GOOD in pass pro, any success DJ may have will simply prolong the inevitable replacement.   

Doc16LT56

Unfortunately, Kurt, it's not just the last two weeks. It's going on 5 years of mediocre or worse QB play. At some point it is what it is and you move on.

Bob In PA

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 09, 2023, 10:58:43 AMHere's the problem- it actually doesn't matter if Daniel Jones could have been a good QB behind a competent OL at this point (I am one who 100% believes he could have been).  Unfortunately - it's irrelevant.  He's been pressured and hit so consistently now that his timing/clock in the pocket will never be the same.  I hate to say it but what I see is a broken QB and it's hardly the guy's fault.  But again, I don't think it matters.  It is what it is and barring some sort of heavenly intervention that fixes our OL and makes them not just average but VERY GOOD in pass pro, any success DJ may have will simply prolong the inevitable replacement.   

PSU: I've been waiting two weeks for someone to post this.  It's likely true. 

That's why the NFL eventually "gives up" on promising young QB's who were drafted very highly.

I'll say this for Jones... he's one tough s.o.b. so he's certain to keep trying... right up until the ambulance arrives to cart him off the field for the last time.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 09, 2023, 11:12:18 AMPSU: I've been waiting two weeks for someone to post this.  It's likely true. 

That's why the NFL eventually "gives up" on promising young QB's who were drafted very highly.

I'll say this for Jones... he's one tough s.o.b. so he's certain to keep trying... right up until the ambulance arrives to cart him off the field for the last time.

Bob

Sometimes, we have seen such QBs do well later in their careers.  Look at Geno Smith or Rich Gannon as two examples (Randy Mueller had more examples in his latest podcast but I can't remember them).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 09, 2023, 11:12:18 AMPSU: I've been waiting two weeks for someone to post this.  It's likely true. 

Bob

The mental part of the game for an NFL QB is so incredibly complex and layered....even the smartest and toughest SOBs at the position will be affected when consistently seeing NFL-caliber speed and size coming at them every time they drop back- both in their face and, in yesterday's case, completely free running full speed from your blind side.  I'd say a lot of the criticism for DJ locking onto a primary read is fair, but also likely a result of him desperately trying to find quick completions out there because his timer in the pocket is finished/kaput/in the crapper.

Sad, really.  But....it's just where we are. 

DragonSoul

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 09, 2023, 10:58:43 AMHere's the problem- it actually doesn't matter if Daniel Jones could have been a good QB behind a competent OL at this point (I am one who 100% believes he could have been).  Unfortunately - it's irrelevant.  He's been pressured and hit so consistently now that his timing/clock in the pocket will never be the same.  I hate to say it but what I see is a broken QB and it's hardly the guy's fault.  But again, I don't think it matters.  It is what it is and barring some sort of heavenly intervention that fixes our OL and makes them not just average but VERY GOOD in pass pro, any success DJ may have will simply prolong the inevitable replacement.   
That is also my concern to a degree (Ala David Carr). But he was getting killed since joining the team and last year he did his best with what he had he. He may still be able to salvage it if they fix the line by next year. Otherwise there is only so much someone can take.

DragonSoul

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 11:19:07 AMSometimes, we have seen such QBs do well later in their careers.  Look at Geno Smith or Rich Gannon as two examples (Randy Mueller had more examples in his latest podcast but I can't remember them).
True but unfortunately just by your numbers alone there have been several since the draft started & of course you find same rare (a bit better there) gems in the later rounds.

If they don't fix the oline I rather see DJ be a good/great qb on another team that gives him a legit chance, then killed behind our oline. Felt the same way when people were thinking Eli may go to another team. Now if we were to play them Giants come first and always will, otherwise wish former giant players who played hard & had class the best, except when they play us.

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 11:19:07 AMSometimes, we have seen such QBs do well later in their careers.  Look at Geno Smith or Rich Gannon as two examples (Randy Mueller had more examples in his latest podcast but I can't remember them).

Difference is Geno Smith had only 31 NFL Starts in his pre Seattle career and Gannon only had 35 NFL Starts in his first 6 seasons in Minnesota.  Compare that to Daniel Jones who in 4+ seasons has had almost 60 NFL starts.  Smith and Gannon were a case of not being given the opportunity to prove themselves.  Jones has had enough starts to prove himself and it just hasn't worked out.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Bob In PA

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 09, 2023, 11:20:56 AMThe mental part of the game for an NFL QB is so incredibly complex and layered....even the smartest and toughest SOBs at the position will be affected when consistently seeing NFL-caliber speed and size coming at them every time they drop back- both in their face and, in yesterday's case, completely free running full speed from your blind side.  I'd say a lot of the criticism for DJ locking onto a primary read is fair, but also likely a result of him desperately trying to find quick completions out there because his timer in the pocket is finished/kaput/in the crapper.

Sad, really.  But....it's just where we are. 

PSU: As you well know, playing QB in the NFL is a progression... a "ladder" you climb. If the bottom rungs of the ladder are broken, you have to get a new ladder and start over. Without the foundation of having climbed the low rungs, you never get a reasonable chance to take the next steps. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

madbadger

Neither guy was physically brutalized for years like Jones has been. The only analog I can come up with is David Carr. I've said this in the past and I'll say it again and again. If you're going to draft a quarterback in the top ten you had better be prepared to waste significant cap space and draft picks to ensure he has a competent offensive line to play behind. Apparently Dave Gettleman had different ideas.

Rambo89

Quote from: madbadger on October 09, 2023, 11:42:42 AMNeither guy was physically brutalized for years like Jones has been. The only analog I can come up with is David Carr. I've said this in the past and I'll say it again and again. If you're going to draft a quarterback in the top ten you had better be prepared to waste significant cap space and draft picks to ensure he has a competent offensive line to play behind. Apparently Dave Gettleman had different ideas.

In Gettleman's defense he did draft a starting Left Tackle with the 4th overall pick the year after Jones was drafted.  That guy turned out to become an All Pro Tackle.  Schoen has spent a number of draft capital on linemen.  The Giants have spent more draft capital on linemen than any team in the league yet have gotten the worst ROI of any team in the league.  It's why I don't believe spending another Top 10 draft selection on a linemen in 2024 is the solution.  The Giants need to figure out what they're doing wrong and why their high value investments have given them so little.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

spiderblue43

How about Jim Plunkett?
Beaten to a pulp with the Patriots and Niners..but became a great Raider two-time champ.

files58

Mara said "we've done everything we can to screw this kid up". Some posters have suggested that Mara was an influence behind Jones' contract. Maybe he was as a way to compensate Jones. It was also structured with a two year out to benefit the team. We as fans want more immediate results, and like our "brethren" in Philly would boo Santa Claus. As an NFL owner Mara lives in a completely different Giant world than we do. Some on here(yours truly) have been Giant fans since 66'(the worst, I also have vague memories of 64'). The difference is no matter the record the Mara family cash register always goes ca-ching, ca-ching. We otoh have tv's taking flight out windows(watch out!), shock and dismay, masochists that pay good money for this crap(apologies, no intent to insult), and getting up to puke. Frankly there should be a practice where for producing consistently inferior products owners offer ticket discounts and free parking. Good luck with that.

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building