News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which coach is responsible for this level of disfunction?

Started by MightyGiants, October 09, 2023, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 07:01:28 PMhttps://x.com/BaldyNFL/status/1711458752182862004?s=20
Definitely no making excuses for line, but.   The center gets beat immediately but the left guard looks to be held from sliding over to block the Miami end by another Miami player

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woody

Also who is the o line coach anyway?  He should be fired

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on October 09, 2023, 07:19:52 PMDefinitely no making excuses for line, but.   The center gets beat immediately but the left guard looks to be held from sliding over to block the Miami end by another Miami player

Good eye, Woody

I think the defender got away with a hold
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on October 09, 2023, 07:21:59 PMAlso who is the o line coach anyway?  He should be fired

Bobby Johnson, Dabs brought him from Buffalo
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Well we've established here that the QB has no responsibility pre-snap other than calling for the snap so it's on everyone else from the linemen, coaches, GM, trainer, etc.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Lawrence Tynes
@lt4kicks
Here is my two cents on the "fire the OL coach" crowd. This is not on him, it is on the players.  We fired an OL coach with Judge, it never gets better.  The detail that goes into a week of preparation for an NFL game is insane, players have to execute. 

Professional Pride has to kick in, have a conversation with the man in the mirror. He cannot lie to you. Fight, scratch, claw, and refuse to accept failure or defeat. Power of the will!!!  #NYGiants
6:05 PM · Oct 9, 2023
·
 Views

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1711525182446129207?s=20

Bobby Skinner
@BobbySkinner_
It's hard to say definitely that a position coach sucks but Joe Judge firing Marc Colombo was one of his best decisions.

Marc Colombo had Andrew Thomas doing all these vet hand tricks when in reality he needed to lag his inside foot to stop from oversetting (Something Paul Alexander critisized Colombo for). That started happening once Judge supposedly started spending time coaching OL.

Supposedly Colombo also didn't have them IDing Mike in run game either and the run game turning around coincided with the reported in practice battles between Judge & Colombo
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Could also be that Feliciano meshes better with the rest of the 49'ers offensive line unit than he did with the Giants.  It goes back to the idea that chemistry with a line is just as if not more important than talent.

True Blue

How were Bobby Johnsons lines in Buffalo? I never paid their OL much attention but that could potentially gain some insight there.

I don't think a mid season firing is beneficial but in the offseason with time to work and have time to adjust? Absolutely

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on October 10, 2023, 09:01:32 AMHow were Bobby Johnsons lines in Buffalo? I never paid their OL much attention but that could potentially gain some insight there.

I don't think a mid season firing is beneficial but in the offseason with time to work and have time to adjust? Absolutely

I don't think the lines in Buffalo lived up to the talent they had.  When Beane took over, he put a lot of resources both in free agency and the draft into the O-line.  The line was maybe average at best, but it really didn't seem that great.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I have to look at what changed on this line from last season to this one.   

1)  Assist O-line coach Tony Sprano Jr. left to the Colts (their line is 13th in pass blocking and 6th in run blocking per PFF).  I actually heard a podcast where someone other than me brought up this point.  The person on the pod thought it was odd for an assistant to have such an impact, but that assistant is doing quite well as the man in charge of a unit, so there's that.

2)  They lost Feliciano and Gates.  I suspect they took much of the veteran leadership and toughness with them
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: True Blue on October 10, 2023, 09:01:32 AMHow were Bobby Johnsons lines in Buffalo? I never paid their OL much attention but that could potentially gain some insight there.

I don't think it could hurt even though it may not help things.  At this point think you have to try something.

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 09:15:00 AMI don't think the lines in Buffalo lived up to the talent they had.  When Beane took over, he put a lot of resources both in free agency and the draft into the O-line.  The line was maybe average at best, but it really didn't seem that great.

Wouldn't that then raise a red flag that coaching is the issue there?

If two teams with the same OL coach soent a ton of resources and it hasn't lived up, can that really be the talent?

Giants OL has been bad, but if it was similar there, Johnson would be the constant there

Trench

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 08:47:48 AMCould also be that Feliciano meshes better with the rest of the 49'ers offensive line unit than he did with the Giants.  It goes back to the idea that chemistry with a line is just as if not more important than talent.

This is why my theory is once we have Pugh (veteran leadership) alongside the kids and the rookie Center is back with Thomas I do believe the line will mesh and success will follow.

So many here said Feliciano stinks and now look at his PFF (which I don't take stock in) but if we are gonna use it as a metric it's fair to say Feliciano is doing something right