News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which coach is responsible for this level of disfunction?

Started by MightyGiants, October 09, 2023, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

We can say the Bill's line was underperforming while Johnson was there (not sure if it was). However, it performed well enough in his last two years to allow the offense to be top 5 in yards and scoring.

So how bad was his coaching on 2020 and 2021?

For the record, the QB was sacked 26 times in each of those years.  38 sacks and 10 less pts/game in 2019, Johnsons 1st year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 10, 2023, 10:57:03 AMWe can say the Bill's line was underperforming while Johnson was there (not sure if it was). However, it performed well enough in his last two years to allow the offense to be top 5 in yards and scoring.

So how bad was his coaching on 2020 and 2021?

For the record, the QB was sacked 26 times in each of those years.  38 sacks and 10 less pts/game in 2019, Johnsons 1st year.

I may have overstated the weakness of the Bills' online

I went to see what PFF graded the 2020 and 2021 lines (the last two seasons with Bobby Johnson) and they were

2020-  5th in pass blocking 15th in run blocking

2021-  14th in pass blocking and 26th in run blocking

My apologies to @True Blue for not doing my homework when I initially answered your question
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

Which coach is responsible for this level of disfunction?
Its Daball's team, plain and simple.  
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Messiah717

Quote from: babywhales on October 10, 2023, 12:07:55 PMWhich coach is responsible for this level of disfunction?

It's on the GM and the coach to get this headed in the right direction.  They inherited a mess but could've read too much into the success they had last season.  Especially when you consider how bad they continue to be in their own division. 

katkavage

Daboll. The head coach has to take ultimate responsibility. The team is playing poorly in every facet. I hope he will learn from this because I want him to succeed.

brownelvis54

Quote from: babywhales on October 10, 2023, 12:07:55 PMWhich coach is responsible for this level of disfunction?

Agree 100%
The KING is in the building

DragonSoul

Always starts with the HC then OL & ST coach. Wink side has improved a tad but still issues and bad tackling. And I'm starting to think we need to move on from Xavier. Evan seems to be making at least one crazy head scratching play a game. From blocking his own team mate to blocking thin air.

DragonSoul

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 09:18:13 AMI have to look at what changed on this line from last season to this one.   

1)  Assist O-line coach Tony Sprano Jr. left to the Colts (their line is 13th in pass blocking and 6th in run blocking per PFF).  I actually heard a podcast where someone other than me brought up this point.  The person on the pod thought it was odd for an assistant to have such an impact, but that assistant is doing quite well as the man in charge of a unit, so there's that.

2)  They lost Feliciano and Gates.  I suspect they took much of the veteran leadership and toughness with them
Interesting 1st point. But the coach needs to be fired.

Feliciano was okay, somewhere between Ben and Glo. Gates I hated to see him leave as he was our best center when he played and he could have been a solid guard & backup center.