News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why are there two Monday Night Football games in Week 14?

Started by LennG, December 06, 2023, 02:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/why-are-there-two-monday-night-football-games-in-week-14-here-s-the-reason-how-to-watch/ar-AA1l1bD2?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=af25ebce991e4a878def3f7162de5dac&ei=54

For the upcoming slate of games, there will be two simultaneous matchups on Monday night, Dec. 11 at 8:15 p.m. with the New York Giants hosting the Green Bay Packers on ABC (and streaming on the ESPN+ app) and the Miami Dolphins taking on the Tennessee Titans on ESPN.

The traditional "Monday Night Football" broadcast booth of Joe Buck (play-by-play), Troy Aikman (analyst) and Lisa Salters (sideline reporter) will be in the Meadowlands. The other crew will feature Chris Fowler (play-by-play), Louis Riddick (analyst), Dan Orlovsky (analyst) and Laura Rutledge (sideline reporter) in South Beach.

But here is the kicker. On the Eli and Peyton broadcast, they will have both games on simultaneously and be able to comment on both games.

While the two former QBs usually have their single game to analyze, ESPN is also "Adding to the first-ever side-by-side Monday Night Football event, Monday Night Football with Peyton and Eli (ESPN2 and ESPN+) will offer fans the ability to watch both games simultaneously, with the Manning brothers commentating on the important MNF matchups concurrently, delivering fans the most exciting action from each game in real-time."
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

I believe they did that one or two times last year too.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

Money - A chance for the owners to make more of it.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PackersNation

Didn't get flexed out of Monday Night because the Packers put butts in the seats and ratings skyrocket whenever the Packers play.

Also got the top ESPN booth in Troy and Joe because of the Packers. Neither team in other game are ratings boosters.

TDToomer

Sorry Mannings. I need a real booth crew when I watch my Gmen. I miss plays when I watch the Manningcast because you can barely hear the crowd and there is sometimes no set up for the next play. It's fun to watch when you don't have a dog in the fight.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

PackersNation

Quote from: TDToomer on December 06, 2023, 04:17:44 PMSorry Mannings. I need a real booth crew when I watch my Gmen. I miss plays when I watch the Manningcast because you can barely hear the crowd and there is sometimes no set up for the next play. It's fun to watch when you don't have a dog in the fight.
Yeah, it's fun to watch for like 10 minutes once. As soon as they bring in the special guests it turns into just 3 people stumbling not to talk over each other while trying to say something witty.

I believe this is the last season the Mannings will be doing it. ESPN really wanted it to work, but they forgot that casual fans may tune in a couple times, but not regularly, and diehards get annoyed with idiots caring more about trying to be funny than the game.

LennG

Although I love to watch Eli and Peyton trafe barbs with each other, this past season has grown a bit tiresome in that they really lose focus on the game entirely. When it is just them, it isn't bad, but once they bring in these 'guests' the game is forgotten about.
Season 1 was great, but now, it may well have run its course.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

andrew_nyGiants

Instead of 2 Monday games, why not a few Saturday games yesterday?

There was no college football to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

katkavage

The Giants on MNF is always a terrible experience.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on December 10, 2023, 09:21:06 AMThe Giants on MNF is always a terrible experience.

True. That has been exacerbated in recent seasons by the unfortunate fact that, for whatever reason, Daniel Jones' play has been particularly odious in prime time.

Philosophers

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on December 10, 2023, 11:46:00 AMBecause the Giants are in one of them.
Phil: You came SO close to my answer, but I'll build on your statement by noting that they can always switch away from the Giants' game if they get blown out. lol  To be fair, I'll add that the same is true of the other game, which IMO is also a possible blow-out. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 10, 2023, 02:11:51 PMPhil: You came SO close to my answer, but I'll build on your statement by noting that they can always switch away from the Giants' game if they get blown out. lol  To be fair, I'll add that the same is true of the other game, which IMO is also a possible blow-out. Bob

Ha Ha Bob.  Despondent fans think alike.

jerseyguy

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 06, 2023, 03:03:01 PMMoney - A chance for the owners to make more of it.

absolutely the truth, this league is more about money than it is about football, what a shame...