News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The NFL fans have spoken

Started by MightyGiants, January 03, 2024, 01:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

It does not appear that the NFL fans (collectively) think much of the Giants' collection of talent.  Here are the fans voting for the top-10 players at each position.   The Giants had two mentions, long snapper, and special teams.

Edit to add Gillium made the list at punter and Kayvon

With the excessive prime-time games the Giants had this season, the lack of representation is not due to a lack of exposure.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

No surprise here. The only group of people who have believed the Giants have been talented anytime in the last several years are Giants ownership, fans, and their own front office and coaches. The rest of the NFL community seems them for what they are.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 03, 2024, 01:47:15 PMNo surprise here. The only group of people who have believed the Giants have been talented anytime in the last several years are Giants ownership, fans, and their own front office and coaches. The rest of the NFL community seems them for what they are.

I was surprised about Thomas and Dex not making the list.  Still, fans (and team management/ownership) tend to overvalue one's own.  If they didn't make the top 10 after getting to show what they could do to the nation, I am not going to presume to second guess.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Punter Jamie Gillan too at #4.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sem on January 03, 2024, 01:52:42 PMPunter Jamie Gillan too at #4.

Assuming his recent decline is injury related, he earned it (I think it says something about a team when their punter is the highest rated player)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 03, 2024, 01:55:06 PMAssuming his recent decline is injury related, he earned it (I think it says something about a team when their punter is the highest rated player)

Some things never change! It was like that when the guy down in my signature block was doing the punting as well.

But good on Gillan for having a generally improved performance in his punting game AND holding for extra points and field goals. He still needs to learn how to either coffin corner punt inside the 10 or be able to drop the ball inside the 20 to reduce his number of touchbacks. This will enable his performance to compare with the upper echelon of punters in the league.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)