News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Nix VS Penix VS McCarthy

Started by MightyGiants, February 04, 2024, 08:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

I predict a drop of one of the top three and a rise of the bottom three by draft day. Look also for teams to potentially target free agent QBs or trades (Fields) that might effect the draft order.

Ed Vette

Quote from: katkavage on February 04, 2024, 12:15:28 PMI predict a drop of one of the top three and a rise of the bottom three by draft day. Look also for teams to potentially target free agent QBs or trades (Fields) that might effect the draft order.
I think Calib may drop and shock the Football world.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 04, 2024, 12:52:01 PMI think Calib may drop and shock the Football world.

What do you mean by "drop" exactly? Do you think he could fall out of the top five? Or do you just mean that he could go second or third instead of first?

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on February 04, 2024, 12:15:28 PMI predict a drop of one of the top three and a rise of the bottom three by draft day. Look also for teams to potentially target free agent QBs or trades (Fields) that might effect the draft order.

WHile anything is possible, with no more football between now and the draft, I would say it's unlikely
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 04, 2024, 12:53:55 PMWhat do you mean by "drop" exactly? Do you think he could fall out of the top five? Or do you just mean that he could go second or third instead of first?
I think he may be the second or third QB to go.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sooners56

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 04, 2024, 12:52:01 PMI think Calib may drop and shock the Football world.

Ain't likely. He goes first and if it's not to the Bears he definitely isn't getting past Washington.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Ed Vette

Quote from: sooners56 on February 04, 2024, 03:39:27 PMAin't likely. He goes first and if it's not to the Bears he definitely isn't getting past Washington.
Do you think his mommy will get up with him when his name is called?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sooners56

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 04, 2024, 03:43:31 PMDo you think his mommy will get up with him when his name is called?

It's likely 😆
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 09:13:37 AMhttps://x.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/1754505396763377971?s=20
That's a red flag on Drake Maye and Caleb Williams, in a league that brings the heat in all forms and disguises.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 05, 2024, 09:54:01 AMThat's a red flag on Drake Maye and Caleb Williams, in a league that brings the heat in all forms and disguises.

Here's another way of looking at it, with similar flags.  PFF's grade when under pressure

Nix 91.5
Daniels 82.2
McCarthy 75.8
Penix 64.7
Maye 64.6
Williams 41.6

These stats/grades for Caleb Williams are particularly disturbing, as he is supposed to be this great improv QB.  If he is so great, why can't he handle blitzes and pressure?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 10:03:20 AMHere's another way of looking at it, with similar flags.  PFF's grade when under pressure

Nix 91.5
Daniels 82.2
McCarthy 75.8
Penix 64.7
Maye 64.6
Williams 41.6

These stats/grades for Caleb Williams are particularly disturbing, as he is supposed to be this great improv QB.  If he is so great, why can't he handle blitzes and pressure?

His first inclination is to bail the pocket. People mock me when I say don't discount Bo Nix and that he's the most NFL ready QB of the bunch.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 05, 2024, 10:08:16 AMHis first inclination is to bail the pocket. People mock me when I say don't discount Bo Nix and that he's the most NFL ready QB of the bunch.

Seeing Nix in the Senior Bowl practices, I think he will need to learn to take snaps under center, but overall, I agree he is the most NFL-ready.  I see Nix as a high-floor, low-ceiling prospect.   Williams is a boom-or-bust type of prospect.  In the right system with good talent, I can see Nix as a solid NFL QB.  Williams, I can see him going either way.  He could prove to be a special talent like Mahomes, or he could prove to be a poor QB who will make the occasional splash play (like how Lamar Jackson looks when the playoffs roll around).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 10:13:37 AMSeeing Nix in the Senior Bowl practices, I think he will need to learn to take snaps under center, but overall, I agree he is the most NFL-ready.  I see Nix as a high-floor, low-ceiling prospect.   Williams is a boom-or-bust type of prospect.  In the right system with good talent, I can see Nix as a solid NFL QB.  Williams, I can see him going either way.  He could prove to be a special talent like Mahomes, or he could prove to be a poor QB who will make the occasional splash play (like how Lamar Jackson looks when the playoffs roll around).
He's also a mature student of the game and a locker room coach. A natural leader who is unselfish and is all about team.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

londonblue

Ed I share your Williams worry and I think Nix will have a solid pro career, albeit as a so-so starter or above par back-up but your opinion is at least as valid as mine so  :hmm: 

As for blitz/pressure performance the measured underperformance of the currently projected top two is in part because they did not have Nabers + Thomas, Odunze etc. No QB stat is ever entirely on the QB, good or bad.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.