News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I miss Brandon Jacobs. Time to get another big dude

Started by brownelvis54, February 06, 2024, 07:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Brandon Jacobs drafted in the 4th round. 6'4" and 264lbs. I remember watching him and seeing in the 3rd quarter defenders getting ran over by Jacobs due to the punishment they received in the first two quarters. I loved the one-two punch of Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw. They seemed to feed off each other. I would rather have two RBs that bring different dimensions as the games progresses, than a feature back like Barkley, Bijan Robinson, Najee Harris...etc. Again, Jacobs a 4th rounder and Ahmad Bradshaw was taken in the 7th.

I think...if Barkley walks (we get a 3rd round comp in 2025), then it might be a good idea to try to get a similar combo. Tall order, Jacobs certainly was an anomaly.

There were some issues to Jacobs game; he was not an every down back. Injuries, I don't think he played all 16 games in a season while playing for the Giants.  Lastly his catching ability was nothing to be desired.

Again, this is why I think it's important to have two RBs on a team that are used as the situation presents itself.

There is a kid that I have my eye on. He is big, (not Jacobs big) and he can catch. I would love to see the Giants draft him in the 4th (that's where he's projected as of now) and pair him with another RB

The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

BRAELON ALLEN RB WISCONSIN: As of now he is 19 years old. He will be 20 before the draft. 6'2" and 245lbs.

In 2021 as a freshman Allen saw action in 11 games for the Badgers as he ran for an elite 1258 yards on 185 attempts for an elite 6.8 yards per carry, with 12 TDs, with 4 fumbles. As a receiver he made only 8 receptions for 39 yards.

As a sophomore in 2022 he played 11 games. and rushed for an elite 1126 yards on 208 carries for an impressive 5.4 ypc, with 10 TDs, with one fumble. In the passing game he pulled in only 11 receptions for 104 yards.

In 2023 as a junior Allen saw action in 11 games for the Badgers. He ran for 982 yards on 181 attempts for an impressive 5.4 ypc, with 12 TDs, with 4 fumbles. As a receiver he made 28 receptions for 131 yards.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

His passing game skills are strong. He's a natural hands catcher who turns upfield quickly in the screen game, and Allen shows a great feel for setting up wheel routes.

Made Bruce Feldman's 2023 Freak's List - ranked #34. He wrote "Last year he made it on the strength of his power-cleaning 406 pounds and clocking a 1.49 in his 10-yard split. He benched 365. Allen has bulked up 10 more pounds to 245 now. "I'm bigger, but I am leaner now," Allen says. "I went from 11 percent body fat to 8 percent this offseason. I'm definitely faster now.""

He runs with violence; he's capable of thrashing through tacklers, and he has the natural balance to withstand contact

He shows good initial burst and runs with violence through traffic. He typically finishes runs well, especially in short-yardage situations.

Fights for extra yardage and is reliable in short-yardage situations.

Allen aggressively finishes runs and consistently falls forward in a crowd. His low pad level and a bit of wiggle keep him from absorbing big hits.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Braelon-Allen-RB-Wisconsin

brownelvis54

RAY DAVIS is another RB slated to go in late 3rd or 4th round. Match him up with BRAELON ALLEN and I like what I see. We don't need to spend early picks on RBs, just like Bradshaw and Jacobs...our early picks should be on other needs.

kartanoman

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 06, 2024, 07:19:00 PMBRAELON ALLEN RB WISCONSIN: As of now he is 19 years old. He will be 20 before the draft. 6'2" and 245lbs.

In 2021 as a freshman Allen saw action in 11 games for the Badgers as he ran for an elite 1258 yards on 185 attempts for an elite 6.8 yards per carry, with 12 TDs, with 4 fumbles. As a receiver he made only 8 receptions for 39 yards.

As a sophomore in 2022 he played 11 games. and rushed for an elite 1126 yards on 208 carries for an impressive 5.4 ypc, with 10 TDs, with one fumble. In the passing game he pulled in only 11 receptions for 104 yards.

In 2023 as a junior Allen saw action in 11 games for the Badgers. He ran for 982 yards on 181 attempts for an impressive 5.4 ypc, with 12 TDs, with 4 fumbles. As a receiver he made 28 receptions for 131 yards.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

His passing game skills are strong. He's a natural hands catcher who turns upfield quickly in the screen game, and Allen shows a great feel for setting up wheel routes.

Made Bruce Feldman's 2023 Freak's List - ranked #34. He wrote "Last year he made it on the strength of his power-cleaning 406 pounds and clocking a 1.49 in his 10-yard split. He benched 365. Allen has bulked up 10 more pounds to 245 now. "I'm bigger, but I am leaner now," Allen says. "I went from 11 percent body fat to 8 percent this offseason. I'm definitely faster now.""

He runs with violence; he's capable of thrashing through tacklers, and he has the natural balance to withstand contact

He shows good initial burst and runs with violence through traffic. He typically finishes runs well, especially in short-yardage situations.

Fights for extra yardage and is reliable in short-yardage situations.

Allen aggressively finishes runs and consistently falls forward in a crowd. His low pad level and a bit of wiggle keep him from absorbing big hits.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Braelon-Allen-RB-Wisconsin

Giants' scouting department: TAKE NOTICE!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

A very different power back than Jacobs who was top heavy. He has a short lower body but it's solid and strong and he has good hip flexibility. Runs a 4.4 forty. Sees the field well and can change direction laterally very well for his size. Kind of a cross between Barkley and Bradshaw with power. Good find.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

goNets

Love reliable power backs. I've always said I'd take John Riggins over Barry Sanders any day. With Riggins you were pretty much guaranteed 3 yards on every carry so you could go for it on 4th down. Sanders put together highlight reels. Rip off a 50 yard run but get pushed out of bounds at the five. Then they'd bring in another back because he wasn't very good in goal line situations.
So yeah. Get a beast that punishes defenses. Those are the guys that enable you to close out games.

Philosophers

Multiple RBs as a part of the offense are key.  They add versatility and change of pace and rhythm plus spell a player at a position who takes a beating.  Giants should look to build that philosophy in their running game.  Also, your take on having one RB as a big back is great.  The Giants years of two or three tiered RBs, one with power, was a beautiful thing to control the clock and time of possession and set up wonderful play action to throw deep.

I truly believe in this draft the Giants could solve three or maybe four of those problems by securing a big time WR say in the 2nd round who is a large radius goes up for it hands catcher, a big bodied RB in say 3rd or 4th round and additional help on the OL to make it a fortress that can't be penetrated.  All that would set up a downfield passing game.  Oh yeah and a QB willing to throw it there.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 07, 2024, 09:51:25 AMAny confidence in Eric Gray emerging?

It's really hard to say. Didn't a few of the New York Giants, running backs in the past sit for a few years before they emerged? I hope the same for gray.

I have, however, given up on Brightwell being anything

DaveBrown74

Great thread. I've enjoyed reading through this and checking out some of the videos. I haven't done much work on RBs at this point (beyond the fact that I watch plenty of college football and know who the top backs in the country are), so this is good content for me.

Thanks for starting the thread and thanks for everyone's contributions.

TDToomer

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 07, 2024, 03:51:47 PMIt's really hard to say. Didn't a few of the New York Giants, running backs in the past sit for a few years before they emerged? I hope the same for gray.

I have, however, given up on Brightwell being anything

Why do you want Grey to keep sitting on the bench when the rest of the league has day 3 RBS playing right away. Pachaco was a 7th round pick in 2022 and is a now a beast for the defending champs who are back in the SB. Kyron Williams was a 2022 5th rounder who became the Rams #1 by year 2.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

brownelvis54

Quote from: TDToomer on February 07, 2024, 09:13:12 PMWhy do you want Grey to keep sitting on the bench when the rest of the league has day 3 RBS playing right away. Pachaco was a 7th round pick in 2022 and is a now a beast for the defending champs who are back in the SB. Kyron Williams was a 2022 5th rounder who became the Rams #1 by year 2.

I never said I wanted him to sit on the bench. Not once did I say that. I was just mentioning that there are some very good running backs that sat on the bench for a year or so. My answer to Ed was basically I don't know much about Gray. I think it's fair to say most New York giant fans don't know much about gray perhaps with Barkley leaving this upcoming season. It'll give gray, and possibly any other running back or running backs a chance to show they can shine.

Brooklyn Dave

A running back is only as good as his OL -period  !!!

TDToomer

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 07, 2024, 10:14:22 PMI never said I wanted him to sit on the bench. Not once did I say that. I was just mentioning that there are some very good running backs that sat on the bench for a year or so. My answer to Ed was basically I don't know much about Gray. I think it's fair to say most New York giant fans don't know much about gray perhaps with Barkley leaving this upcoming season. It'll give gray, and possibly any other running back or running backs a chance to show they can shine.

Not anymore. If a RB is not in the mix by the middle of his 2nd season he will most likely not last in the NFL. Even back in the day the Giants gave significant snaps to George Adams, Lewis Tillman, Dave Meggett and Rodney Hampton as rookies. In fact Joe Morris is the only future RB star I can think of that sat and learned for a few season before emerging. So if the Giants believe in Gray it will have to happen next season.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kingm56

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 08, 2024, 04:05:54 AMA running back is only as good as his OL -period  !!!

The available data suggest your statement is false.  How do you explain Barkley's rookie year?  Better yet, consider this years rushing leaders.  Henry, William, Conner, and Harris all finished in the top 10 behind bottom 10 Olines.  Heck this years #2 rushing leader ran behind the NFLs #32 ranked Oline (Pro Football Focus).

The notion QBs and RBs successes are completely dependent on the oline has been false for over a decade; the game has fundamentally changed.  Could they achieve better results with a better oline...yes; however, that doesn't mean said rb is powerless running behind a bottom 10 line.

I also disagree with the premise of this thread; in the modern NFL, it's no longer a viable team building philsophy to persue a ground-and-pound concept.  Today, it's about dynamic passing offenses that rule the day.  I don't want a Brandon Jacobs, I'd rather an emotionally intelligent OBJ.  The Giants are in desperate need of a dynamic player...just one!