News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Done with Daniel Jones?

Started by Jclayton92, March 05, 2024, 08:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 05, 2024, 12:46:58 PMThere are a couple of good Brewing companies in Cooperstown. I gave up beer years ago but I liked their brew.
https://www.cooperstownbrewing.com/
https://www.ommegang.com/

Schultz and Dooley glassware are in regular rotation at my house. Just took this pic after seeing your post, Ric.

LennG

Quote from: files58 on March 05, 2024, 11:45:19 AMShaeffer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one.....

You got that right

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Since it's officially derailed....I'm a huge fan of Genesee Cream Ale, have been since my college days. It was likely a contributing factor as to why I dropped out. Genny Cream is the best cream ale I've ever drank, I'd love to try brewing it some day. I'm actually wearing a Genesee Brewery t-shirt right now. Last time I was in NY, in 2022, I drank some cream ale and also stocked up, bringing some back to California with me. Reminded me of the old days. In brewing circles it's rumored that Genesee ferments it with lager yeast, so, if true, I guess it's not technically an ale.

Early on, in my teens, I didn't especially like beer but just drank it because all my friends did. But I soon warmed up to the taste and Schlitz became my first favorite, drinking it in the early to mid 70's. Then they changed the recipe and it went to hell. I've recently read that whoever owns the label now is brewing it to the original recipe, or close to it, and it's supposedly tasting good again. I can't get it out here or I'd try it for myself.

Ric mentioned $1 beer night. Back in the mid-late 70's I remember 50 cent bottles of Molson Golden every Wednesday at The Other Place, (aka The O.P.), right across Bunn Hill Rd. from SUNY Binghamton. Never missed it. They also had bands occasionally, and I once saw The Talking Heads play there around the time their debut album was released.

Lastly, I'm a big fan of Ommegang. They brew some very good Belgian style beers. They're hugely sought after in the trading circles in areas where distribution doesn't reach. When I was living in NY, and working in Field Service at IBM, I had The Baseball HoF as one of my customers. Of course that was cool. I'd always tried to time my visits there for mid afternoon. Then after that I'd stop off at Ommegang to grab some beers to bring home. This was before they ramped up production and their beers became easier to get. Plus they used to have a release or two that was only available at the brewery.
The good old days.....

spiderblue43

Talkin beers?

Head to the mountains..Busch.

Coors..The Banquet Beer.

Piels..a real good drinkin
beer..

Miller..The Champaign of Beers

I forget Rheingold and Stroh's . Genny Cream too Redfaced

TDToomer

My tastes have evolved with beer to the point I cannot drink any of these water downed mass produced lagers anymore. I call them college beers of the past. Give me Barrell aged Baltic Porters, Milk Stouts and NEIPAs. There is so much great craft beer in the USA now. Please tell me I am not the only one who visits Tree House who are arguably the most successful craft/independent/destination brewery the USA. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

Quote from: files58 on March 05, 2024, 11:06:13 AMMy favorite summertime beer in Monticello, NY circa mid-late 70's was Genesee Cream Ale in the green can. Now I'm an IPA guy(Heady Topper, by The Alchemist). My son is a student at Binghamton, he talks about Thirsty Thursdays. They were done with Jones when the Surface was tossed. 

I'm thinking it must be a pretty different place with an age 21 drinking age then my day when it was 18, the Pub was downstairs in the Student Union and the OP was across the street.  Some places I remember are Kelly's Bar with decent pizza and $2 pitchers of Bud or Schlitz, Lee's subs (first subs I ever had), Pancho's Pit. And a steak place across Vestal Parkway that put discount coupons in the school newspaper for a steak dinner for something like 3 buck that included unlimited salad and bread bar and beer.  First place I ever worshipped at the porcelain god Ralph.

Good times.  Class of '77.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

files58

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 05, 2024, 02:49:39 PMI'm thinking it must be a pretty different place with an age 21 drinking age then my day when it was 18, the Pub was downstairs in the Student Union and the OP was across the street.  Some places I remember are Kelly's Bar with decent pizza and $2 pitchers of Bud or Schlitz, Lee's subs (first subs I ever had), Pancho's Pit. And a steak place across Vestal Parkway that put discount coupons in the school newspaper for a steak dinner for something like 3 buck that included unlimited salad and bread bar and beer.  First place I ever worshipped at the porcelain god Ralph.

Good times.  Class of '77.

So my son(home on Spring break) just mentioned The Pub is now a bowling alley, and there is a bar Tom and Marty's that's been around since the 40's. About the drinking age thing. About a week after beginning his Frosh year I asked him so when are you getting your fake ID. He replied in about 10 days. It's now a dry(cough,cough) campus.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on March 05, 2024, 02:27:17 PMSince it's officially derailed....I'm a huge fan of Genesee Cream Ale, have been since my college days. It was likely a contributing factor as to why I dropped out. Genny Cream is the best cream ale I've ever drank, I'd love to try brewing it some day. I'm actually wearing a Genesee Brewery t-shirt right now. Last time I was in NY, in 2022, I drank some cream ale and also stocked up, bringing some back to California with me. Reminded me of the old days. In brewing circles it's rumored that Genesee ferments it with lager yeast, so, if true, I guess it's not technically an ale.

Early on, in my teens, I didn't especially like beer but just drank it because all my friends did. But I soon warmed up to the taste and Schlitz became my first favorite, drinking it in the early to mid 70's. Then they changed the recipe and it went to hell. I've recently read that whoever owns the label now is brewing it to the original recipe, or close to it, and it's supposedly tasting good again. I can't get it out here or I'd try it for myself.

Ric mentioned $1 beer night. Back in the mid-late 70's I remember 50 cent bottles of Molson Golden every Wednesday at The Other Place, (aka The O.P.), right across Bunn Hill Rd. from SUNY Binghamton. Never missed it. They also had bands occasionally, and I once saw The Talking Heads play there around the time their debut album was released.

Lastly, I'm a big fan of Ommegang. They brew some very good Belgian style beers. They're hugely sought after in the trading circles in areas where distribution doesn't reach. When I was living in NY, and working in Field Service at IBM, I had The Baseball HoF as one of my customers. Of course that was cool. I'd always tried to time my visits there for mid afternoon. Then after that I'd stop off at Ommegang to grab some beers to bring home. This was before they ramped up production and their beers became easier to get. Plus they used to have a release or two that was only available at the brewery.
The good old days.....

Yeah...a lot of taverns, pubs, and nightclubs have a short shelf life. I don't know if you ever got over to the North 40 in Ithaca, but that was a fun place to go like the OP. They brought in big name bands back in the 60's and early 70's...I remember seeing Tommy James and the Shondells there, playing as if they were a local band at a local watering hole. The place burned down, but was rebuilt and changed into "Lakewatch Inn", a wedding venue without the electric checkerboard dance floor. Place was crazy fun

The Esprit/Eclipse (locally known as the clit because of the abundance of women) in Binghamton was also a place where crazy stuff went down...but it's gone. As is Flashbacks with the lighted checkerboard dance floor and music from the 60s-80's. Also gone, The Blue Moon on Old Vestal Road, West Side Cheers, Edigans, Shenanigans, even the Number 5, and Country Bobs no longer exist. Party on the Patio every Saturday night was a blast...it's gone. Such is the life of taverns and bars. Some are still around, like Rathskellers (we always called the "Rat Cellar"), an underground nightclub beside the Grand Royale Hotel on State Street. But it's no longer packed like the old days...the fun days no longer exist in this town

The North 40

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

B1GBLUE

Quote from: madbadger on March 05, 2024, 11:01:51 AMThey aren't going to stay with Jones past this year. In his short time in the NFL he has suffered multiple concussions, a broken collarbone, multiple sprained ankles, two significant neck injuries, one that resulted in surgery and a torn ACL. There is no way they want to move forward with a guy who can't make it through a full season without suffering a serious injury. His contract ensures he'll be on the roster this year but he was given his golden parachute by Mara and the writing is on the wall.

i think them being "done" with him, has more to do with what you just mentioned than anything else.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on March 05, 2024, 02:20:49 PMYou got that right

I remember the words to that song and I don't even know why. Stored somewhere in the back of my head I guess

the hard day at work and getting home as the wife fetches a beer reminds me of a funny cartoon from a few years back

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

GloryDays

I Think Schoen is probably creating interest for trades with those who are interested in trading up for a QB.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 05, 2024, 10:53:36 AMOr Rheingold.
 My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer.
It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat
Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?

And who can forget the Miss Rheingold contests?  I remember ogling the ads on the subway every day on my way to high school in the Bronx
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

kingm56

Quote from: GloryDays on March 05, 2024, 05:01:26 PMI Think Schoen is probably creating interest for trades with those who are interested in trading up for a QB.

If the Giants want a QB, they'll have to trade up themselves to get one.  Picking 6 is a terrible position for any team needing a QB.  Who in their right mind is going to trade up to 6 to miss out on drafting one of the four top guys? 

Rich Eisen is also reporting the Giants are done with DJ:  https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/05/giants-absolutely-done-qb-daniel-jones-rich-eisen

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 05, 2024, 05:17:10 PMIf the Giants want a QB, they'll have to trade up themselves to get one.  Picking 6 is a terrible position for any team needing a QB.  Who in their right mind is going to trade up to 6 to miss out on drafting one of the four top guys? 

Rich Eisen is also reporting the Giants are done with DJ:  https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/05/giants-absolutely-done-qb-daniel-jones-rich-eisen

Rich Eisen doesn't really have a track record as an insider, he does not break stories.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me one way or the other in terms of acquiring a new QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE