News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants get Drew Lock for backup QB

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 12, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

On the whole, he's purely a backup that can fill in. Giants did what they said: sign a vet backup. He has a strong arm but very different than DJ.

DeVito still can make the roster. With so many injuries around the league last year, it's very likely they'll keep 3 qbs, especially with Jones.

spiderblue43

I hope the Giants pick either Nabers or Odunze-both potential stars. If Maye were to fall to 6, the phone will be likely ringing off the hook with suitors. That seems very unlikely, however.

katkavage

Quote from: spiderblue43 on March 12, 2024, 06:54:34 PMI hope the Giants pick either Nabers or Odunze-both potential stars. If Maye were to fall to 6, the phone will be likely ringing off the hook with suitors. That seems very unlikely, however.
So we are looking at a Drew Lock-led Giants in 2024?

spiderblue43

Quote from: katkavage on March 12, 2024, 06:59:55 PMSo we are looking at a Drew Lock-led Giants in 2024?

No, its not a Lock. Jones will be the starter, no matter what I want-qb of the future. Don't want JJ at 6, so why not take a star receiver? Sans OBJ, rather unheard of, I know, for our heroes.

As recent drafts clearly show, taking qbs early is not shooting fish in a barrel.

AZGiantFan

It isn't a lock that Jones will be ready to start week 1 in which case Lock will.  Once Jones can start Locke will be the QB2.  DeVito won't play any part assuming he's still there.

That is my prediction and expectation.  And it's worth every penny that you paid for it.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

spiderblue43

Yes, when Jones is ready. I thought that goes without saying. Hearing of his work ethic, I wouldn't be surprised if he is ahead of schedule.

:yes:

GloryDays

What is the obsession for drafting a QB with our first pick, or even mortgage the rest of the draft and future to go up a bit... for who?
Have you guys checked the failure stats of high first round QBs?
It is either a DJ derangement syndrome or looking for excitement of drafting a new QB and have your fingers crossed that we hit on a Mahomes!! Even if you strike gold, he will be doomed also with the surrounding cast.

EliWasrobbed

HALLELULJAH!!!

The main issue of course is that Jones lacks mobility after his injury making the strongest part of his game obsolete.

Drew Lock is not a great option, but easily better than Jones (and arguably a better option even before Jones's injury).. I'm fine with him as our #2 though I had a soft spot for Tyrod.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

spiderblue43

When I saw him last, he looked much better with his decision making against the Eagles. Granted, their back seven were awful, but he did engineer a 92-yard drive to win the game.

Daboll should help him, too. He fits a need-vet backup. Would you rather have Zach Wilson.. Redfaced ? Lol.

EliWasrobbed

people continue to underestimate how masterful Brian Daboll is. He turned Daniel Jones a straight up BAD QB into a decent game manager for a season. Tommy DeVito is awful and yet he looked ok for a game or two.

Drew Lock is a legit average QB. I have no doubt he can look like Jones did a year ago but on a more consistent level with a higher ceiling

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Brooklyn Dave

I know there is a hug age differential but strictly as a backup, would Ryan Tanneyhill been a better choice ? Do you think that there is some thought with the Giant brass that maybe , if Jones falters that Lock could become the future Giant QB or is that too far fetched.

WAsn't LOck highly regarded when he played at Missouri ?

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on March 13, 2024, 04:21:41 AMI know there is a hug age differential but strictly as a backup, would Ryan Tanneyhill been a better choice ? Do you think that there is some thought with the Giant brass that maybe , if Jones falters that Lock could become the future Giant QB or is that too far fetched.

if you wanted ryan tannehill we might as well have kept Tyrod. Younger is always better especially if the QB we draft doesn't pan out and we can have Lock potentially be seen as a viable option long term than a Tommy Devito.

Lock has a higher ceiling than Jones but had poor coaching and opportunities. As much as I want us to draft a QB, I'm not totally opposed to having him start week 1 either worst case scenario if we get him a top WR instead

Drake Maye enthusiast.

JT39

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on March 13, 2024, 04:21:41 AMI know there is a hug age differential but strictly as a backup, would Ryan Tanneyhill been a better choice ? Do you think that there is some thought with the Giant brass that maybe , if Jones falters that Lock could become the future Giant QB or is that too far fetched.

I think the NYG weren't interested in Tannehill due to age. Lock is a stop gap at best.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 13, 2024, 04:24:18 AMif you wanted ryan tannehill we might as well have kept Tyrod. Younger is always better especially if the QB we draft doesn't pan out and we can have Lock potentially be seen as a viable option long term than a Tommy Devito.

Lock has a higher ceiling than Jones but had poor coaching and opportunities. As much as I want us to draft a QB, I'm not totally opposed to having him start week 1 either worst case scenario if we get him a top WR instead

Let's assume for a moment the Giants don't draft a QB. I'm not saying they won't, but for the sake of argument let's just suppose for a moment that they don't.

Assuming Jones is cleared by the doctors, which sounds likely to happen on schedule, I think it's all but nailed on that he starts week one.

What I'll say though, is I think Daboll will be much less tolerant of poor play by Jones now that he has seen other backup Giant QBs outperform him with the same supporting cast. So Lock may get a shot even if Jones doesn't get hurt. Jones could easily get benched for performance-related reasons this year.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 15, 2024, 07:13:37 PMLet's assume for a moment the Giants don't draft a QB. I'm not saying they won't, but for the sake of argument let's just suppose for a moment that they don't.

Assuming Jones is cleared by the doctors, which sounds likely to happen on schedule, I think it's all but nailed on that he starts week one.

What I'll say though, is I think Daboll will be much less tolerant of poor play by Jones now that he has seen other backup Giant QBs outperform him with the same supporting cast. So Lock may get a shot even if Jones doesn't get hurt. Jones could easily get benched for performance-related reasons this year.
Is there a place I can put money down on this happening? I would put a substantial amount and cash in.  :ok:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: