News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bo Nix Pro Day Passes

Started by Ed Vette, March 27, 2024, 10:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

I haven't spent a lot of time studying QBs, mainly because I'm inadequate to do so and also because I believe the Giants are going with DJ for at least one more year

But watching that video, Nix seems to have excellent body positioning while throwing the ball and seems very accurate. Of course, it's all staged, so he should look good. Not a real game

However, his stats from last season jump out at me (I haven't bothered to check stats on any of the QBs prior to this). In the 2023 season, he threw for 4,508 yards, 45 TDs, and 3 Int. That's pretty remarkable, even at the college level
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

madbadger

I would be very comfortable with either McCarthy or Nix at 6. He's easily the most accurate quarterback in the draft and in many respects he reminds me of Stroud last year. Both were really accurate guys who won a ton of games but played in a system that doesn't closely mimic what NFL quarterbacks are asked to do. IMHO people are too tied up in the fact that he struggled earlier in his career at Auburn or the fact that they lost to Washington twice this year.

Ed Vette

We've been through entire seasons, Bowl games and Bowl games shunned, the Senior Bowl, the Combine, Pro Days, and plenty of film of opinionated or objective analysis.

I have to agree now that I would have no problem taking JJ McCarthy or Bo Bix at six. They can sit for a while and play next season or in November if the Giants fold again by that time.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

londonblue

Nix 'problem' for the ex-scout/GM group in the media is that he is perceived to be limited by both his average arm strength and his average raw athleticism. He is also judged by many to be at or near his ceiling given his elongated college career.

He looks to me like he could do well in a classic west coast system or for Payton at Denver but would struggle in more vertical attacks or ones that ask their QB to do more off platform stuff. Like most guys he needs to find himself in the right situation. Teams that like eg the things Maye can make happen in chaos and are willing to work to improve his reward/risk ratio probably won't like Nix as much and vice versa.

His best case feels like a lower ceiling (more arm limited) version of the younger Tannehill to me and his worst case as a hang around the league forever savvy, functional Colt McCoy type but who knows how the key NFL evaluators see him? Six is much too rich for that IMO.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

madbadger

Quote from: londonblue on March 27, 2024, 11:40:48 AMNix 'problem' for the ex-scout/GM group in the media is that he is perceived to be limited by both his average arm strength and his average raw athleticism. He is also judged by many to be at or near his ceiling given his elongated college career.

He looks to me like he could do well in a classic west coast system or for Payton at Denver but would struggle in more vertical attacks or ones that ask their QB to do more off platform stuff. Like most guys he needs to find himself in the right situation. Teams that like eg the things Maye can make happen in chaos and are willing to work to improve his reward/risk ratio probably won't like Nix as much and vice versa.

His best case feels like a lower ceiling (more arm limited) version of the younger Tannehill to me and his worst case as a hang around the league forever savvy, functional Colt McCoy type but who knows how the key NFL evaluators see him? Six is much too rich for that IMO.

His arm is undervalued my like Jones was coming out of Duke. Not a rocket but clearly strong enough to make every throw an NFL quarterback needs to be able to make. Similarly he isn't a great runner but he's in the Drew Brees neighborhood. A guy that is elusive enough to make life difficult for a defense but not a guy who's gonna pull it down and run it at the first sign of trouble.

A little known facto about Nix is that he's played for 3 different head coaches and 5 different coordinators in his five seasons. Anyone that can look as good as he did last year despite having to learn a new system is really impressive IMHO.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Here is McGinn's initial scouting comments on Nix

Bo Nix, Oregon (6-2, 214): Third in the Heisman voting last year. "Would it surprise me if he was drafted in the first round?" one scout said. "No. He's more second round, but worse talented guys than him have been drafted in the first. He has more talent than Kenny Pickett. I think you can win with Bo Nix. He has improved himself tremendously since he left Auburn, both as a quarterback and as a person." Named Southeastern Conference freshman of the year in 2019, his first of three seasons as the starter for the Tigers. Started two years at Oregon, enjoying his finest season in 2023 with 45 TD passes compared to three interceptions. "He's smart like Alex Smith," a second scout said. "I think he'll start. He doesn't make mistakes. Good athlete, good arm strength. He improved a lot. At Auburn, he was just all over the place. He's a very disciplined quarterback. They did a very good job with him at Oregon. They have a system there and he worked perfect in it. He's accurate at what they asked him to do at Oregon but they didn't throw outside the numbers. Kenny Pickett is better." Didn't work out at the combine. Hands were 10 1/8. "I feel I've seen this guy for 10 years," said a third scout. "I've always questioned how well he feels the game, his moxie and poise. He got to Oregon and that system and everything's just like a gimme. I just think he's really scattered. Good enough athlete. If things break down he panics. Just a huge question mark."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE