News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFN ranks the Giants' offense the 2nd worst in the NFL

Started by MightyGiants, May 04, 2024, 10:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Do you agree with their ranking or assessment?

31) New York Giants
Daniel Jones, rehabbing from the torn ACL that ended his 2023 campaign, may have to compete with free-agent addition Drew Lock to win the Giants' starting QB job. Whoever wins the gig will get to work with No. 6 overall pick Malik Nabers, New York's most explosive wide receiver since Odell Beckham Jr.

The Giants made a concerted effort to improve their offensive line during the offseason. But adding Nabers was somewhat offset by losing RB Saquon Barkley, and it's challenging to see much upside for Big Blue.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-offense-rankings/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Do I think the Giants have a good offense? Heck No!  In the modern NFL you need a plus QB to compete with the offensive juggernauts.

Do I think we're #31?  I don't know as I'd have to analyze the other teams.  I do think we're #4 in our own conference though. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 04, 2024, 10:47:58 AMDo you agree with their ranking or assessment?

31) New York Giants
Daniel Jones, rehabbing from the torn ACL that ended his 2023 campaign, may have to compete with free-agent addition Drew Lock to win the Giants' starting QB job. Whoever wins the gig will get to work with No. 6 overall pick Malik Nabers, New York's most explosive wide receiver since Odell Beckham Jr.

The Giants made a concerted effort to improve their offensive line during the offseason. But adding Nabers was somewhat offset by losing RB Saquon Barkley, and it's challenging to see much upside for Big Blue.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-offense-rankings/

Forecasting the exact bottom two or bottom three is never easy, because a team can easily be say the 7th worst instead of the 2nd worst, but that's still awful.

I do not disagree that, right now, the Giants are a very poor offense. I don't think Jones is as bad as he was last year (which was not even serviceable backup QB level play), but I don't think he's very good either, and he's coming off a mid-season ACL injury. So I think it's fair to say we're near the bottom of the league in terms of our QB room until proven otherwise.

The line should be better, so that would be the only area that gives me pause about putting us in the bottom three.

Our running back room is clearly worse though, so that's a setback.

Nabers is a big add.. he's an enormous talent and nearly a lock to be at least a good if not great NFL receiver. I think he somewhat offsets the Barkley loss in terms of being a big time playmaker in our offense.

Guys like Robinson and Hyatt are certainly interesting players, and maybe one of them can take a step forward this year towards becoming a more serious, consistent threat in an NFL offense.

There just isn't much else though. In my mind we're 99.9% a below average offense, very likely a bottom 10 offense, and very possibly a bottom five offense.

madbadger

Until they prove otherwise, yes. The line should be better but it feels like I say that every year. The running backs will be worse. The receivers will be better. If Waller retires the tight ends will be worse and finally the quarterback room will be worse simply because I think Taylor is better than Lock.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on May 04, 2024, 11:21:09 AMUntil they prove otherwise, yes. The line should be better but it feels like I say that every year. The running backs will be worse. The receivers will be better. If Waller retires the tight ends will be worse and finally the quarterback room will be worse simply because I think Taylor is better than Lock.

I agree that Taylor is better than Lock, but I have to hope that our QB play is better than last year unless we think Jones' 2023 level of play is his norm, which I don't. I'd like to believe 2024 Jones will not only be better than 2023 Jones but will also be better than 2023 Tyrod Taylor and 2023 Tommy DeVito. That's an unbelievably low bar for a $40mm a year 6th year veteran starting QB

Ed Vette

If they protect Jones and he has time in the pocket, he will put up top 10-12 QB stats. I'm more optimistic of the Running attack than most of you here although it may be a drop off from Barkley. Can they protect him? They brought in a decent crop of veteran Linemen.

The bottom line is that there will be injuries and that Oline Depth concerns me. And while Jones can win games healthy, he would be foolish as they would to incorporate running plays with him. Jones also folds against good teams and in big moments.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 05, 2024, 09:01:39 AMI agree that Taylor is better than Lock, but I have to hope that our QB play is better than last year unless we think Jones' 2023 level of play is his norm, which I don't. I'd like to believe 2024 Jones will not only be better than 2023 Jones but will also be better than 2023 Tyrod Taylor and 2023 Tommy DeVito. That's an unbelievably low bar for a $40mm a year 6th year veteran starting QB

I hope you're right but I've given him the benefit of the doubt for five years and every year he's fallen short. At this point he's like a beaten dog who cowers at every loud sound. Getting him the best chew toy ever made isn't going to change that.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 05, 2024, 09:28:18 AMIf they protect Jones and he has time in the pocket, he will put up top 10-12 QB stats. I'm more optimistic of the Running attack than most of you here although it may be a drop off from Barkley. Can they protect him? They brought in a decent crop of veteran Linemen.

The bottom line is that there will be injuries and that Oline Depth concerns me. And while Jones can win games healthy, he would be foolish as they would to incorporate running plays with him. Jones also folds against good teams and in big moments.

I agree the running game will be better with a rotation of backs that run forwards.

sxdxca38

I disagree with PFN's ranking.

I'm expecting a bounce back year from Daniel Jones. He will be pushing the ball farther, because he learned what Taylor did during his tenure.

Nabers will be explosive, the O line has been improved especially in pass protection, and Theo will be a nice addition.

Offensive production will improve this year, and DJ will have a good year.

spiderblue43

Daniel Jones simply was awful last year. He can't be any worse..but that is a remarkably low bar for a 6th year pro.

Bottom line: Our heroes are probably near the worst offensively again. The QB of the future is still missing,and another draft and off-season is needed to get out of the doldrums

Stringer Bell

It's all going to come down to DJ and the offensive line.

I think the WRs will be fine. I think the running game will be middling but will be just enough to keep teams honest.

But I'm not as sold on the OL additions, and I have little to no hope of Neal improving - better OL coach or not. So if that unit continues to fail, then there's a real possibility the Giants are a bottom 5 offense.

And then with DJ, he needs to stay healthy first and foremost. And if healthy, he needs to play with confidence and he needs to be willing to take calculated risks. If he fails to do that, the Giants will be a bottom 5 offense. If we turn to Lock early enough in the year, I could see them being a bottom 10 offense.

B1GBLUE

until they prove otherwise, its not far off. we have a huge question mark coming back at qb, lost our best offensive player in barkley, dont know if a pro bowl te in waller is coming back, more new OL - and a few guys that have still yet to prove they belong, a rookie wr, a solid yet spectacular rb.

the solid teams are the ones who keep a core in place year after year. we have a different oline basically every game. dont even know who is starting at te.

yeah, its bad. i think they have the potential to be decent, but they need to prove that. as always, all starts with the oline. if they can give jones more than 2.4 seconds, and not let the rb get hit behind the LOS, we MIGHT have something.

MightyGiants

If you break the Giants offense out into units, how do you rank each of the units? 

Bold- projected starter

QB

8 Daniel Jones
2 Drew Lock
15 Tommy DeVito

RB

26 Devin Singletary
23 Gary Brightwell
20 Eric Gray
?? Tyrone Tracy
35 Jashaun Corbin
34 Deon Jackson