News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

CBS Sports ranks Daniel Jones dead last

Started by MightyGiants, May 09, 2024, 01:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on May 09, 2024, 05:04:27 PMPerhaps nobody. But i wouldn't take take Young over Jones.

Perhaps I'm wrong. But he shouldn't be last.

I think Darnold is likely to start the season in Minny, and Jones is definitely better than Darnold, at least in my eyes.

He may also be better than Brissett. Is he definitely, 100%, decisively better than Brissett? Possibly, but I'm not sure. I'd say probably, but I don't think it's some runaway, obvious thing.

He is very likely better than some of these incoming rookies, but we don't know that for sure yet, nor do we know which ones.

The rest of the QBs on this list, I'm sorry, but I don't see the evidence that Jones is clearly better than them. Could that change this year? Sure it could - these rankings are fluid. But right here, right now, I'm just not sure that that's the case.

katkavage

Realistically and objectively right now he is, being generous, 21 out of 32. Which means a really good year for him only gets him to 15 or 16 while a few currently in front of him drop. That's his ceiling.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 09, 2024, 05:14:33 PMI think Darnold is likely to start the season in Minny, and Jones is definitely better than Darnold, at least in my eyes.

He may also be better than Brissett. Is he definitely, 100%, decisively better than Brissett? Possibly, but I'm not sure. I'd say probably, but I don't think it's some runaway, obvious thing.

He is very likely better than some of these incoming rookies, but we don't know that for sure yet, nor do we know which ones.

The rest of the QBs on this list, I'm sorry, but I don't see the evidence that Jones is clearly better than them. Could that change this year? Sure it could - these rankings are fluid. But right here, right now, I'm just not sure that that's the case.
Good post. Also, I think this is why tiers are better than numerical rankings. A bunch of these guys can be shifted around based on how they played in their last game (which is fair for a power ranking).

If there's a tier for QBs who can't be trusted to run a functional offense against a good defense in a playoff game, half the QBs would fall into that category.  If there's a tier for QBs who can't be trusted to run a functional offense against a solid defense in the regular season, is Daniel Jones in that tier? He's entering year 6 and still has to prove he can be a consistent lower-end starter from one year to the next.

StompYouOT

Brock Purdy at #2 lol.  C'mon now.  This is silly, Jones is no good in my opinion, but how do they put guys who haven't even played an NFL snap yet on this list. 

Let's reevaluate in January.  That said, I was done with Jones on the opening drive against Dallas last season.  He won't be our starter I don't think anyhow.

LennG

No offense here, but I saw this yesterday and was going to post it, but as soon as I saw the rankings, I decided (and for me, not a Daniel Jones fan) against it. It was really too much over the top.

How in the world can you rank 5 guys who never took a damn snap in the NFL ahead of even the worst QB in the league?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on May 09, 2024, 08:22:27 PMNo offense here, but I saw this yesterday and was going to post it, but as soon as I saw the rankings, I decided (and for me, not a Daniel Jones fan) against it. It was really too much over the top.

How in the world can you rank 5 guys who never took a damn snap in the NFL ahead of even the worst QB in the league?

I get your point Lenn, but if you're doing these rankings you have to put the rookies somewhere if they're expected to be starters.

I'm not saying these rookie rankings are going to be accurate, but I'm not sure you should just automatically put them all at the dead bottom of the league if you're trying to give your forecast of where you think they'll be. I think the writer is making a speculative assessment here. He may be wrong in his assessment obviously, but just automatically ranking them at the bottom solely because they're rookies doesn't seem like the best approach to me.

sxdxca38

I personally think maybe this topic should be pinned and held up for the entire year so that everyone can see that CBS sports had Daniel Jones ranked as the 32nd worst QB in the entire NFL.

And

Then after the 2024 season is completed everyone will see where Daniel Jones truly ranked, and if CBS sports should ever be taken seriously again, or if they were truly right on the money?

Only time will tell.

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on May 09, 2024, 10:47:56 PMI personally think maybe this topic should be pinned and held up for the entire year so that everyone can see that CBS sports had Daniel Jones ranked as the 32nd worst QB in the entire NFL.

And

Then after the 2024 season is completed everyone will see where Daniel Jones truly ranked, and if CBS sports should ever be taken seriously again, or if they were truly right on the money?

Only time will tell.

Excellent idea.

To put Jones dead last reeks of click bait and is extremely disrespectful. I hope the guy posts the article above his locker and goes out and makes a big turnaround. If only he would practice looking off the safety. That would be a start. One can hope

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 09, 2024, 08:33:32 PMI get your point Lenn, but if you're doing these rankings you have to put the rookies somewhere if they're expected to be starters.

I'm not saying these rookie rankings are going to be accurate, but I'm not sure you should just automatically put them all at the dead bottom of the league if you're trying to give your forecast of where you think they'll be. I think the writer is making a speculative assessment here. He may be wrong in his assessment obviously, but just automatically ranking them at the bottom solely because they're rookies doesn't seem like the best approach to me.

IMO you don't put the rookies at the bottom of the list, you leave them out.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll