News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Draft Survey

Started by Philosophers, April 24, 2024, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If No Trade At 6 And All Available

Drake Maye
30 (46.2%)
JJ McCarthy
9 (13.8%)
Malik Nabers
13 (20%)
Rome Odunze
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: April 26, 2024, 01:13:28 PM

Philosophers

I am curious how this board is leaning 24 hours before draft.

MightyGiants

I voted for Maye, but it's conditioned on the Giants staff believing he will be a franchise QB.

As much as I would love to fill the long and crippling hole at number one WR, you have to take a potential special QB when you can (and you are not sure you already have one for the foreseeable future)

EDIT TO ADD:  this is also conditioned the OP which says the player is available at 6, no trade up required
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Personally, I don't want to take a QB. That's either next year's problem, or one down the road a few years. So it's WR all the way for me. I see Maye as DJ 2.0, and JJ as a top 15-20 QB in the NFL. None of the QBs "awe me"

So, it's a toss up between Nabors and Odunze. As a person who takes way to many risks, I'd give my nod to Nabors as he can break a game wide open at any given moment. But I'd be happy as heck with Odunze who is more of a technician...IMHO
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

Thanks for your thoughts.  I am kost interested in seeing the voting between QB vs WR.  How interested is this board in these QBs versus these WRs?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on April 24, 2024, 01:29:08 PMThanks for your thoughts.  I am kost interested in seeing the voting between QB vs WR.  How interested is this board in these QBs versus these WRs?

My problem with Maye (and I know I could be completely out to lunch), is that I like that he is tall and cerebral. But he doesn't have a lot of "good tape" on him from all I've read, and he's not ever going to be a threat to run as he's not considered a mobile QB...hence, requires superb protection and precision route running by his receivers

Philosophers

I hope everyone here votes as it would be very interesting to see everyone's thoughts.

Ed Vette

Maye all the way.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

So far 9-7 on QB vs WR.  Interesting. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 24, 2024, 02:03:55 PMMaye all the way.
I'm not a fan of maye, I like Mccarthy more but would be happy with either because they would be Daboll's choice assuming they go that way. So I'd be ecstatic with Maye knowing it was the guy Daboll thinks is elite.

katkavage

Got to be a QB. And I trust that whatever QB they choose, they are confident enough to feel he can be a franchise QB. Much much easier to find a receiver than a QB.

Rosehill Jimmy

I chose Maye.  On a side note, should this scenario play out it would mean one, maybe two surprises in the first five selections
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Gmo11

This is great!  Obviously highly unlikely but I like the options given here because this really makes you think.  Where the Giants are positioned if they don't trade that decision is likely going to be made for them and it's probably going to be a WR.  Whichever one they prefer. Putting these options on there makes you draw a line in the sand not just WR vs QB but which one. 

And I voted McCarthy.  It really gave me pause looking at those WRs and knowing just how hard it is to get a guy like that. It's why the Lions backed up the brink truck to Amon Ra St-Brown's house today. I certainly will not be disappointed with either one of those WRs. 

But ultimately for me I wondered if they don't take a QB now when will they?  Jones is bad but he's not Zach Wilson bad where they will be right back in the top 5 if he plays most of the season.  They'll likely be in the 8-12 range.  Where it would cost too much to move up and get a QB.  So then what?  Jones again not just this season but the one after?  So we can do that same dance again at that time?  Or wait for him to get hurt and hope that it happens early enough in the season so that they don't win any games with him before he goes down? That doesn't seem appealing to me.  So I say if no trades and those options are there I go QB and I like McCarthy over Maye by a bit of a margin. 

Philosophers

Love everyone's feedback.  This is great.  I voted for JJ.  Am surprised at all the Maye love especially versus the WRs however we really need a QB as well.

Jolly Blue Giant

If we go QB, DeVito will be cut. That includes taking Penix or Nix in the second, or Rattler in the third, or a flyer late. The order will be DJ starter, Lock backup, new QB (insert name here). They are not about to hand the keys to the Giants fortunes to a rookie. Furthermore, we have a shot at one of the three WRs who are the best in recent memory, and there's no chatter at all about upcoming classes in the college ranks. Unlike Harrison, who has been touted since he started college ball, and the other two who have been oft mentioned throughout their career as Uber-talented, "once in a lifetime" type WRs. We might not get a another shot at a no.1 WR for quite some time

Just thinking out loud as a fan and not a professional analyst working for a team. Heavy decisions await Schoen tomorrow. I will be sitting on the edge of the couch with bated breath...would be chewing my nails if I was a nail biter  :ohno:

katkavage

"They are not about to hand the keys to the Giants fortunes to a rookie." That is the idea, but I wouldn't call what those keys hold a fortune. This is a rebuild. You start with the QB if you can get him. Receivers are useless without a QB. Team building begins with the QB, then the offensive and defensive lines, followed by linebackers and defensive backs, with receivers and running backs the last of the pieces.